[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Crippling Headaches/Migraines Grumble

Crippling Headaches/Migraines Grumble

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Katblack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am

I used to suffer from migraines every few months, they gradually got much worse and at one point I was having them at least once a week, I put it down to problems with my spine and posture due to a failure of the metalwork in my back as when I had a revision operation to try and fix my posture in 2006 they pretty much stopped.

In recent months they have started to come back, I cannot explain how bad they are, it feels like my head is going to split open and no painkillers work. I have to go to bed, in the dark, no noise at all and just lay there until it passes, hopefully sleeping, often with a cold flannel on my head. The last one I had was just after Christmas and totally floored me, I spent 2 days on the sofa, I didn't realise this was part of FM until very recently as Doctors still keep commenting on my posture and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, I am fused from neck to waist!

I went to bed with slight pains in my head last night and they are still there this morning :( it's often a sign of a migraine coming, but I have to go and help my BIL out today, I am just hoping it doesn't go 'full blown'...

Sorry, I just needed a grumble, but if anyone has any tips, I'd be really grateful
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Re: Crippling Headaches/Migraines Grumble

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 am

I've moved your topic into here Kat as it's a more suitable board for the subject.

Headaches and migraines are a part of FM, and affect quite a lot of us, incl myself. I have a constant headache, always verging on a migraine, and up until very recently I was having a full blown migraine virtually every day :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: When something causes a flare for me, as well as the pain and usual suspects going off the scale, my migraines do the same :facepalm: :facepalm:

There are various meds that can be tried that might be of help in the headache dept. My current recipe includes a betablocker and sumatriptan, plus coming out of a horrendous 3 monthish flare means that they've reduced to 3-4 full~blown nuclear migraines a week, which for me is pretty good.

It might be worth speaking to your GP about the headaches/migraines and see what they suggest about the options that could be suitable for you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Kat
Have you looked to see if it is a side effect to any of the meds you are taking?
You should go back to see your gp and explain how often you are getting the headaches/migraines and ask for something stronger to help control them.

Don't give up as there are lots of stronger meds you can try, if your GP can't help ask them to refer you to see a Neuro, I have been through all this and have now found a med that has stopped my migraines, I have to take them twice a day, I still get the odd one but I used to have them where they would last up to 5or6 days at a time, I used to be sick with them as well.

I hope you find the right med that helps. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Ive had this to for years, pain is terrible, it gets so bad im physically sick, they've tried so many different treatments but nothing works :(. Like you i have to lay down and wait for it to pass which can take days :crazy: I now know its fibro that is causing it but would love some sort of pain relief, dr told me even morphine wont work :nono: Now waiting to see pain management team, ill give it a go :fingerscrossed: good luck x
lian
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Nellyphant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Oh I feel your pain. According to my medical records I was diagnosed with migraines at 7 (wonder if I've had fibro since then?). When I was pregnant I had a constant one for 15 weeks. Now I'm on HRT I don't get them as bad but I'm a lot better with my pain management and also have 7 ice packs in the freezer so I have enough if I need to have one constantly. I find cold on my forehead and neck works best and also I used to be able to get soluble strong ibuprofen which worked really well but haven't had those for years. Must ask my GP next time I see him.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi there, I have always had bad headaches say once or twice a month, since after I had my daughter nearly 19 years ago now and the GP gave me co-codamol to take, which did work very well up until I have recently been diagnosed with FM and I seem to be have experiencing some changes with my menstral cycle.
The headaches have changed, they always come on the run up to the menstral period but the head pain has changed. I told my GP that rather than it feeling like it is in the forehead region it is now my top and back of the head that seems to be hurting, it is a very bad ache which goes on for a day or so. It makes me feel absolutely awful and I find that noise and light does affect it but then Ive recently realised that the light and noise doesnt really make it any worse. I have tried going into a quiet room and wearing sunglasses, The head just feels the same awful ache. My GP said it is probably a hormal headach/migrane and there is not much he can do about it, apart from me acepting it is probably hormal and that when the menstral cycle settles down so will the headaches.

Does anyone else suffer with this top and rear head bad headache/migrane?. It knocks ya for six. i have never been sick with it, but it makes me feel very groggy.
TracyDiane :-)
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby grannygreenwitch » Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 am

I've always had a lot of headaches but since fibro & a series of mini strokes, my headaches have been off the scale :!: :!: :!:
I've had so many MRIs that I've lost count. The neuro hasn't been any help & no meds can touch it. However a few months ago a different optician suggested wearing dark tinted glasses, as I'm very light sensitive . I can't tell you the difference that it's made :!:
At first I was embarresed because people thought that I was blind, but now I explain first. Sure I still get headaches most days, but on the whole they're manageable, but at least I can live again! Bad migraines are rare now, I take less medication etc & all because of tinted glasses.
This may not apply to many other migraine sufferers, but it may be worth investigating
good luck all :fingerscrossed:
grannygreenwitch
UKFM Newbie

Postby loubie » Wed May 16, 2012 12:43 am

glad you got some relief in the end 8-)
i have to have my Sunny's on at night if out in the car
the lights hurt my eyes and end up with migraine

so yep can see how they would help :-D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby toplessbug » Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 am

Hi I get a migraine headache after every bit of sleep I have.
I'm on sumatriptan and it works wonders. I was given them from my neuro. My head feels like it'll explode, I feel sick, sensitive to light and noise. But sumatriptan clear it.
xxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi
I was the same, mine would lay me up for weeks at a time i was sick with them as well.
I am lucky now as after going through everything without success my Gp refereed me to a neuro after trying a number of meds we finally found a med that suited me :clap: :clap:

I still get the odd migraine and get a lot of headaches but have learned to live with them.

I am light sensitive, i wear sunglasses if out in a car of a night time as the on coming car headlights get my eyes. I always have a pair of sunglasses in my handbag.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems