[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Weight Gain .... help!!

Weight Gain .... help!!

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight Gain .... help!!

Postby pogster » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 am

Since I was diagnosed with FM in March this year I have been piling on weight. Is this usual? Meds wise I take 30mg of amitriptyline at night. I also have had an underactive thyroid for 20 years and am 40 now. I don't know if it's my age, the medication or due to the FM or a combination. I am particularly keen to hear from others who have managed to lose weight with similar history to myself.
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Gain .... help!!

Postby shelleydwales » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 am

Hi there,ive also put on weight with amytryptyline,but also i go up and down in weight with how good or bad the fibro is.
Have you talked to your gp or consultant about it? Maybe a lower dose combined withanother med?
Ive managed to lose some weight recently by lowering my carbs a bit and eating more veg instead.
Speak to gp first though!
:goodluck2: shell
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Pogster, I have moved your post into weight issues as you will get more hits in here and you can also see you arent alone and might get some tips that have already been posted. Personally I havent found anything that works but am still searching :roll: :roll:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Duffinamdi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 am

I am putting on so much weight, I can stop eating anything and everything, I am alright til I eat something then I can't stop. I can't eat just 1 I have to have loads. I have stood in the kitchen think I mustn't have anything else and I just find myself get something to eat. Not being as active as I was i am putting it on.
I just thing my mind isn't strong enough to stop me. I had my cholesterol checked and that was really high. The Dr said do you want to see a dietitian. I said no, as I know what I am meant to eat. I just can't do it. :swear1: :swear1:
Duffinamdi
UKFM Member

Postby carolj » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

hi, i had one of my kidneys removed in november went down to 9 1/2 stone,and now with all the medsim on i have gone up to 14stone,its getting me down i feel like mr blobby :( im eating plenty of veg and fruit but i just seem to be putting more on. :(
carolj
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Hi
I think the its the combo of it all IMO, i was a size 8/10 depending if i was on steroids for crohns pre fibro. Since fibro i have gained weight, having to stop working did not help as i was on my feet all day rushing around and got plenty of exercise.

Most of the meds have weight gain listed as side effects :(

With the pain we are in we cant exercise, we need the meds to help control the pain, the meds have made us crave [chocolate] :cake: :facepalm: :nono: We cant win :yikes:

I put on just over 2 1/2 stone on Gabba`s :yikes: i wanted to eat [chocolate] & :cake: all the time but since coming off it the cravings have stopped :clap: :clap: :clap: i am slowly losing some of the weight. :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shelleydwales » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Gabba is one of the worst for weight gain,made me deppresed real bad aswell!
Im on lyricia now_(low dose) much better!
Shell xx
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:01 pm

:wave: Hi there.....

weight gain is a big issue for many people with fibromyalgia.....and medication does not help, as alot of medication these days have got sugar and lactose in them....so i aint surprised by ppl having issues with them.....

I have also put on alot of weight since having fibro....think it is because i am on medication and plus I cannot go out like I used to......Do you believe that it is your medication that is causing it or do you think that your fibromyalgia is causing it?

I definately talk to your gp, as perhaps they could help you with getting help......take care. xxxx :wave: :f1-car:
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi :wave: I was thinking of asking a similar question myself then saw these so thought I'd put it here. I have put on 3/4 of a stone in 3 weeks :yikes: ! I take ami's and tramadol but don't know if these have weight gain as a side effect altho looking on here it might be a possibilty. I probably won't put any more on for a few years now, this happens to me. I put on a stone or half almost overnight then nothing for a few years :? ! No idea if it may be a fibro thing but seems like most of you have done it at some point or another. Might be why my knees are so painful, and my hip, I have congenital hip dysplasia that gives me some issues sometimes! I wouldn't mind but nothing changes with me, I don't have any odd eating habits, and may be a little less active, :dunno: could be anything!

Oh well, at least I'm not alone, would just be nice to find a way to get it off and stay off! Anyway, take care all. Cherry. :hugs: :flowers:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby alikat1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 pm

For me, I found I gained a lot of weight over 2 main things...1. I have to eat before I take my meds (otherwise my tum gets very upset). 2. When I'm up and down all night I tend to nosh - most likely a distraction from the pain.

I had a lapband put in in 2007 and it worked well for a while...but when the fibro hit, I had to choose foods that I knew would stay down with my meds...guess what foods those are? Chocolate and biscuits and the weight started creeping up (although I lost 6 stone from the band).

So a few weeks ago me and hubby started low carbing - I take a spoonful of no sugar added peanut butter before meds. And I have lost just over 1st.

The high amount of fat & protein has cut the hunger pangs/cravings unbelievably. Hard to believe things like a banana and a baked potato is sooo full of sugar, but they are!

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 am

shaz

i have put on 2 stones with the gabas as well.

am trying to adjust my diet and cut out lactose/gluten now and try to do abit of exercise every day but am still not losing - but at least and not gaining anymore.

its seems too difiicult a task.

love peanut butter now - use to have with jam on taost but the gluten free bread is rubbish so might just have some with an apple.

needds some more research into getting more active as not eating much now.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby spencebel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 am

I too have gained weight, i am on Gabapentin also going through the menopause as well. So i feel really down, frumpy , unattractive, have cravings for sweets etc.
So i am cutting out sweets,cakes, bread, crisps,, even going to have smaller meals,to see if that helps.
Any other things i could try please?
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: to everyone trying to lose weight :goodluck1: :grouphug: :blowkiss: :flowers:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby animalhouse » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:52 pm

i am having one of those moments again as well, its like realising you are middle aged. something i never expected so soon as was always so young and active.

2 years ago i was wearing skinny jeans and tshiret with converses trainers and being a cool mum at 38 going back to student life as a nurse. now i have become my worst nightmare, middle aged gained several dress sizes and wearing baggy shapesless clothes and slip on shoes.

i just don;t feel attractive (or sexy) and don;t feel confident with this body.

i am fighting a battle of doing a speight of exercise then spending rest of day recovering or doing a small bit of houseowrk but the weight is just not moving as the recover etime is so great after the exertion.

i feel weight loss should be last thing on my mind when i am trying to fight this pain but you only have to have a bath and are reminded of it again, i can feel lumps and bumps appearing on hips, knees, thighs, middle, arms its so depressing. :( :(

:( i think the gabapentins are the culprit as i am on them but have got this far and am reluctant to face a change of meds such as pregablin to see if they are any better, as coping with the extra pain again scares me. it is sanity versus vanity.

good luck i am monitoring my dairy and gluten intake to help with boating but being careful portion size.
:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby sknowles456 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 pm

I take Sodium Valporate, Clonazepam, Quetiepine, Mirtazapine and citalopram for my depression and mood disorder and all of them bar the citalopram put weight on you. I too was a slim 38 year old in size 10/12 jeans and 9 stone and now i am a size 18/20 and 14 and a half stone. Its not even like i am eating more i just don't understand it. I am now 43 and very depressed about it all. I can no longer run and can only swim gently so i cannot burn off the calories. It is a horrible thing to cope with the pain, (i take cocodamol a4 times a day nd oromorph when needed), plus my severe ibs and on top of it the weight. Glad i am not on my own. Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Weight Issues