Foggy brain gets in the way.... ESA questions.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Foggy brain gets in the way.... ESA questions.

Postby Robbiedog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Hello all.

To cut a long story short, after decades of full-time work, I received my last payslip in March 2011, having stopped working due to (not then diagnosed) FM ,CFS, AS and depression. (I had been worked into the ground and subjected to workplace stress for some time). I claimed ESA for a few weeks, then innocently toddled off to the blessed ATOS medical.

Of course, as I had a pulse, they decreed that I was 100% fit to work, but told me I could appeal. Being foggy of brain and knackered of body, I didn't. I supposed I hoped I would "get better". (I do miss the old pre-FM me...)

So, the question is this. Can I re-apply for contributions based ESA. The last princely sum of £67.50 hit my bank account in June 2011. I have claimed nothing since. I wish I wasn't in the position of having to claim, but here I go, willing to try.

My condition has worsened, with referrals to a neurologist: the NHS are now exploring the possibility that I have MS! MRI results so far have shown no evidence, so, fingers crossed!

If anyone has a clue, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Robbiedog.
Robbiedog
UKFM Member

Re: Foggy brain gets in the way.... ESA questions.

Postby xMandiex » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi Robbiedog,

You can re-claim, but if you are claiming within 6 months of the date that your previous claim ended, and you are claiming for the same reason, they will make you have an assessment before you get paid. Otherwise its a fresh claim, on assessment rate, and another medical to endure.
Hope this helps,

Mandie
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby Babyleaf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:29 am

Try asking for your medical report copy to be sent to you. I do not claim at the moment but had the medical and received 0 points. When I could find the report I telephoned to get a copy and they sent be a "copy" :-P :-P of it and to my absolute shock I had 16 Points :-) 8-) .

Anyway I decide to ask again saying I hadnt received it and low and behold I had 21 Points ?!?!?!

The whole setup is a absolute joke!!

Good Luck
Babyleaf
UKFM Newbie

Postby cheekybeatle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:31 pm

You must get proper help filling in the ESA. I too worked until I dropped, I have CFS and FM. I joined a local support group and had great help in filling out my ESA and DLA forms. I am now in support group and have HRM and LRC, but it was all thanks to the help I received. The help made me look at each question and I answered it as if it was on my worst day. If you answer yes to any question they then ignore what you micht have written underneath and they pass on to the next question. Go back to doctor and get a certificate saying you cant work and apply again for ESA, you should still be eligible for contribution based ESA as it depends on your contributions for the previous tax year.
I wish you every success :lol:
cheekybeatle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Robbiedog » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Dear all,

Thank you for the replies.It's been over 6 months, and I had not yet been diagnosed with a named condition. My symptoms were still being investigated at that time. So, if I go ahead and apply, it will be the first time I have done it with a named illness. Nothing to lose I suppose, other than time, dignity and energy levels.

They kept me waiting over two hours at the last ATOS inquisition. I was as stiff as a board by the time they got around to me, and totally kippered for days afterwards. I shall pack a flask of cocoa and a sandwich for next time....

I can remember, just, the ATOS person asking me about a typical day. No day is typical! I can fluctuate from one hour to the next!

I'll phone 'em up on Monday.
Thank you

Robbiedog
Robbiedog
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits