[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Finally got the rheumy appointment through!

Finally got the rheumy appointment through!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Finally got the rheumy appointment through!

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:12 pm

I think Flup's right about taking out health insurance. If you do wish to go private it would probably be best to get an initial appointment and hopefully get yourself a diagnosis from there.

I think the first step is to speak to your GP. There's no point forking out for a private appointment is any diagnosis and treatment plan won't be accepted by the NHS. So check what will happen if you get diagnosed privately.

I know someone who is pretty senior in the NHS and he has said that sometimes getting a private treatment plan is an effective route as an NHS Dr should then implement it - but best to check with your GP first else you'll be disappointed and several hundred quid has been spent for no real purpose.

I haven't been to Edinburgh for years, but I'm assuming it's like London in that it has a wide variety of Hospitals with Rheumatology departments? If so then I think I would try and persue an NHS diagnosis for as long as possible. Hopefully your GP can re-refer you and you can try a different clinic?
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I honestly don't know about the hospitals I think there's really only the one I went that does clinics.

Private is really a back up plan, and if it's cheap/I have the money :-P

edit:

Learned today that my brother's GF was at the same clinic on Saturday, going by our descriptions seen by a better doctor that asked more questions and provided a more thorough check over. She's been diagnosed with fibro after her doctor thought it was something else. I didn't even know she suffered from problems as I've never seen any physical attributes to suggest, such as a limp, or heard her complain.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Sophiex » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience. :( Unfortunately going privately is no guarantee either. I saw a rheumy privately and he wanted to discharge me with a dx of fibro till my bloods indicated RA. I was later told I had both conditions.

Private can add up. I have insurance and I had a blood test which was covered but we still get a bill. It was £210 and it only included a few things! Also, most policies won't cover your pre-existing condition.

It's not all bad though, you are entitled to a 2nd opinion on the NHS.
Sophiex
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Cheers Sophie.

Was able to get an appointment with my GP today, moaned at how bad the experience was, but have to wait for the hospital to send the report back which could be upto three weeks!

In the mean time if no-one is able to help me I'll be applying for a blue badge in hope that pain and difficulty walking and getting out of cars, and with a possible cause is enough. So phoned up today for that.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 am

i got a blue badge and don;t have mobility dla at moment but am appealing.

just explained all my difficulties and not being able to walk far and was successful iwth that one.

hope you get more help with another gp adn keep asking.

:-) :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Salgor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi tyrannosauRoss
I am interested to hear what hospital and consultant you saw in Edinburgh as I am also waiting for a consultation at Western General. It sounds as it your experience was really c****y. :swear1:

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:30 pm

I honestly can't remember his name. He was maybe mid thirties at the oldest and had shaggy stubble and "normal" build, this was at the Western.

From looking at Spire's website it wasn't either of the two consultants listed there. If I remember in three weeks time I'll ask my GP for his name. Good luck with yours!
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Ross, just checked paperwork and it is a Dr. M Jones I am going to see.

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:07 pm

I've checked my appointment paperwork and there's no sign of any names.
As far as my memory is concerned the guy who I saw was doctor bubbleywubllyhooblestank.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ross
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Salgor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Ross, I wouldn't be able to pronounce his name on a bad day !!

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Now I really want a doctor with that name =[

I don't mean to cause him offense, I honestly just mean that I don't have any clue what his name was.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Been meaning to tell you guys I've been referred back for a second opinion.

Even the doctors (when I turned up on the morning, somehow it changed to a different doctor that didn't know my case) reviewed the letter from rheumy they weren't even impressed with it. He even hinted at complaining to the hospital/trust.

My parents have even suggested to write to Nicola Sturgeon about it as there's been a recent case in NHS Lothian of poeple getting cut from waiting lists and hospitals being dodgey about their waiting times and fobbing off patients...sorry brain has shut down.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 am

I'm glad your GP is being pro-active about this. :fingerscrossed: you get a better Rheumy next time.

No harm in complaining about it to the Trust. At the end of the day being a Dr is an unusual job in the sense that your employer can't watch over you all day, like they can with say an admin assistant, or a secretary. They rely on patients to let them know if someone they've hired isn't doing a good job as they can't have someone supervising every appointment, and all correspondence sent out. They need us to say 'they didn't listen/didn't take me seriously/just left me to get on with it' etc.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Hope you can get some proper answers this time Ross :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services