[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Waking and coughing / choking

Waking and coughing / choking

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Waking and coughing / choking

Postby toplessbug » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 am

Hi it's 5.30 in the morning and I've had my normal 4 hours sleep and am now awake.
It comes in useful as I make my husbands sandwiches for work.

Anyway the reason I'm writing is when I do wake I have a coughing fit as tho I'm choking, have a very dry mouth.
I do also have acute brittle Asthma so could be that and at the mo have a chest infection but this happens almost every time I wake.

Thanks in advance xxx :)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Re: Waking and coughing / choking

Postby Melbi_UK » Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 am

Hi

Brittle asthma means you can go from your asthma being controlled by your meds to not being controlled by them very quickly. This could be the reason why you wake up coughing and choking, and the dry mouth won't help either :cry:

I know getting comfy in bed is bad enough as it is with fibro but have you tried raising your head a little higher than you normally have it? I find adding an extra pillow under the mattress helps if I'm having a bad time with my asthma (I don't have brittle asthma so usually know when it is coming on)

Also, if you can tolerate strong odours try a few drops of olbias oil on a tissue next to you bed. If you haven't tried this yet try a small sniff of it first just in case you can't tolerate it as it can be quite overpowering. You can also buy plug ins that give this scent off too but I find the tissue way just as good.

There really isn't much you can about the dry mouth on waking up, the meds cause this. As I wake regularly I have a bottle of water at the side of my bed that I keep taking sips from. But if I've had a good 6/8 hours sleep even my throat is so dry it is all stuck together (painful as many will know) Water does relieve this so again a bottle of water at the ready is always a good idea.

I'm not sure if your coughing and choking is due to your asthma (although it does sound like it and perhaps you need your meds looking at again)

I'm sure others will be along soon who might also suffer this problem and don't have asthma.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 am

Go and get it checked out, you shouldnt be waking up coughing all the time
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi
I agree with Denys, you should not be waking up coughing/choking i would go get checked out by your GP.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems