New Job concerns

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New Job concerns

Postby Mrrikki » Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 am

Hi all, I have a new job which have asked for a medical form to be filled out before starting. The offer letter does not include medical checks as part of the conditions of the offer.

I have listed Fibromyalgia but stated this does not effect my work and nor have I ever had a sick day due to it. Should I be worried they may withdraw the offer? If they did withdraw the offer then would I be able to take action against them? I have handed my notice in at my exisiting job!

Sorry if this is the wrong section.
Mrrikki
UKFM Newbie

Re: New Job concerns

Postby busy mummy » Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 am

Hi Mrriki

The info you have been asked for is meant to protect you. Its so that the employer can tell if they need to make any reasonable adjustments for your condition.

For example, if you need a special chair or desk set-up, if you need extra breaks, also if you can expect to take more time off sick than someone without the condition.

If you were unlucky and had a flare, or if you picked up a virus (which will take longer than average to shake off) then the info you have provided to the employer should help them recognise that this is 'normal' for you and should protect you to some extent from disciplinary procedures if your sick absence is higher than average.

I know you said you have never taken a day off for your fibro, but due to the unpredictability of the condition, unfortunately you never know whats round the corner.

If you are at all worried about the employers motives, I would advise you to add to the form that you are willing to talk to someone from their occupational health department at any time. This will show the employer that you have nothing to hide and that you are in control of your symptoms.

Really, I wouldnt worry too much about it for now. Getting a new job is kind of a rare event in these times and I think you should be celebrating your success!!!

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits