steroid epidural injections for fm,backpain,sciatica

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

steroid epidural injections for fm,backpain,sciatica

Postby wobblycat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 am

Morning all hoping you are as good as can be !

Visited the pain clinic last weekfor assessment,Recommended to have a steroid epidural injection to treat the beast(sciatica)!Also understand it can be used for back pain.Have some pharmacy knowledge of this (from job)& Drgave me a leaflet& told me to google it.I would be really interested &grateful for personal experiences of ppl on here if there are any.

From own knowledge &Dr Google this procedure rarely works&Dr said it doesnt alwayswork.Have agreed to have it end of July but can cancel-dont like the risksalthough rare.

Take care & thx for reading this :hugs:
wobblycat
UKFM Member

Re: steroid epidural injections for fm,backpain,sciatica

Postby chrisgoneferal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am

I have had these injections years ago they did not help me at all...I have had disc prolapse and spinal fusion etc that has not helped either and I think is root cause of my fibro although can't prove it.

I wish you luck with it.

Chris
chrisgoneferal
UKFM Member

Postby mabel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Have had spinal injections a few times, First time very stiff afterwards for a while and when finally settled was quite good for a while. second time which was about 18 months later - no benefit at all. Two years later i have now been waiting 6 months to have the procedure again. Im of mixed opinion if it is successful or not??? - am a little concerned about possible side effects or damage injecting into the facet joints of my spine but it did kind of help relieve hip pain a little. Good luck!
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi I have had both facet joint injections and epidurals for spinal pain .

The facet joint injections weren't great but the epidurals were brilliant (last one August '12). If I didn't have the FM I probably could have reduced my med dose a lot more than I did.
I was at the consultant recently for a review and he seemed pleased with the result . I was expecting another review in 6-9 month time to see if I needed another injection but in my area there seems to be a thing in the NHS that you are discharged after 2 injections and if you need more you have to start the merrygoround all over again!

Ah well just have to remember to ask whenever it starts hurting again!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication