[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Weight Loss Surgery????

Weight Loss Surgery????

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight Loss Surgery????

Postby rickysmrs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:40 am

During a recent visit to my GP's they have mentioned to me whether I would take up this option as I am very over weight for my height at 4ft 11 and weighing in at 15 n half stone. I said I would go away and think about it. Has anyone with FM and ME had this procedure done and if so did you have a major relapse. This is my main concern as I am comming through the tunnel and I'm managing most days without needing an afternoon sleep. Albeit I do go to bed for the comfort factor and watch tv or read approx 6 - 7 pm lol but still a great improvement which I dont want to loose. :yikes:
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Loss Surgery????

Postby denys » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:09 pm

You may be out of action for a wee while but the benefits from the weight loss may make up for this, I would go back to your doc and talk through it all again, as long as you tell the surgeon etc. that you have FM then you should hopefully be OK :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: for which ever way you jump :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby animalhouse » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:06 am

an important factor to consider is the diet limitations before and after. ask about this with the surgeon/dr.

as this can sometimes involve limitations on diet before (to shrink liver for easier access) and after obviously as you recover then your stomach is sshrunk.

are you able to manage this and other aftercare implications need to have a good discussion with the dr to find out everything involved.

it should certainly improve mobility if you lose some weight but is not easy. also check what kind of surgery they are considering gastric band, stomach rerouting (forgot name) etc. (no expert but did an assignment for nursing studies)

please ask dr for details.

best wishes.
:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby rickysmrs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 pm

thanks for replies i will certainly take those points into consideration.
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Wow, just go for it.

I wish my doc would do the same for me..

Pain is pain but it's probably going to be allot more bearable when your thinner. Being overweight, you might end up with serious back problems and have to undergo corrective surgery anyhow.

Bella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:41 pm

My BMI is somewhere around the 38 - 40 bracket . With meds/lack of exercise due to fatigue etc I have gone up 3 dress sizes in a matter of months and when you wearn't a string bean to start.. thats a lot.

I have been thinking about broaching this conversation with my GP as going to Slimming World classes just don't seem to work . I put on and off the same 5lb for a good 2 months before I left in disgust ( at myself as there were some marvelous results for other people).

Has anyone else out there had this surgery?

Did they broach the subject with the GP or did as in rickysmrs case the GP suggest it .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby rickysmrs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Hiya

Not been on for a while have been very busy with hospital appts and so on so YESSSSS I went back and I am as of this moment on the waiting list for a "Gastirc Sleeve" where the take part of my stomach away so I can only eat small meals. Its all been abit of a whirlwind and surgery is due aprox April this year soI will keep you informed. :)
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:26 pm

good luck :fingerscrossed: :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby rickysmrs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm

I finally have a date to go under the knife :yikes: 14th May.............excited and nervous at the same time. :-D
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck1:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby rickysmrs » Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Well Ive had my surgery, pain wise has not been too bad which was a surprize. Only problem ive got post op is that I have had to cancel all my fibro , ME and thyriod medication because in they where put into liquid form for 6 weeks for me but my stomach wouldnt tolerate them so struggling big time with fatigue atm I can start them back once six weeks is up but will have to build them up again to right level :( . Lost a stone which includes a week of a special pre-op diet so far so the op is helping me with what it says on the tine so too speak.

I will post again in a few months see if it was all worth it. x :lol:
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon May 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Wow MrsRicky a stone in less than a week that's a lot! Glad that it hasn't taken as much out of you as you feared, just remember it is early days and you might still have a bit of a bump along the road. But I'm sure you can weather it if need be :lol:

Stay strong and positive and hopefully things will settle down ok, go back to basics with pacing and resting since you are off all meds , you may find that loosing some of the weight might mean you may not have to go back to the same strength.

Take care and :goodluck2: :grouphug: :flowers:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I queried this with my doctor last year as being overweight out me on a real downer I have always been a big girl since I was a child and now I am 19 and half stone at 5ft 7!! Back then I only had back problems but now have FM so would I more then likely be able to approach my GP on this?! And do u think they would say yes?? As I find it much harder now to loose weight then ever before! And I don't want to get bigger and bigger ....my confidence is bad enough as it is !! I have even changed my eating habits but nothing seems to be shifting :-(
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 pm

All you can do is ask :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby rickysmrs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Teenie

Sorry for late reply, You have to prove you have tried all other options ie weight watcher, dietitian, and weight loss tablets through your GP. I thankfully had kept all my records for years with all the diff diets I tried. This was the last resort and well I am truely amazed 6 months down the line I have lost 4 stone, it has been mental torture because I had a gastric sleeve done which means they have removed 70% of my stomach so I can only eat say about half a small side plate of food before i'm full. The mental torture comes in when im having a treat and really enjoying the food but cannot eat anymore lol. I know my limits now so I only put what I can manage on my plate that way im not tempted to over do it and stretch my stomach.

Hope you have seen your gp by now and are going through the process. Good Luck
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Weight Issues