[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tramadol -newbie

Tramadol -newbie

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tramadol -newbie

Postby pumpkin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Hello people I am new to this forum and have just been diagnosed with fibroymalgia and going to be referred to a rheumatologist.I was and still am having difficulty with walking during the day and at night I work.I have been prescribed tramadol up to 300mg daily.The first day I took one as I was going to do a waking night at work.Found this very hard and tiring.The next day I was off(yest) and took 4 50mg which made me so drowsy and spaced out I couldn't eat anything and just spent all day in bed.I am in a catch 22 i want to stop the pain but I don't want to be so drowsy that I can't do anything.Any suggestions and advice on what other people do.The doctor never told me to start off slowly but am wondering if this is the best to do.Any help much appreciated.
pumpkin
UKFM Newbie

Re: Tramadol -newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:51 pm

:welcome: to the forum pumpkin :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

I've moved you into here with it being your first post, hopefully you'll get some helpful responses :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

What you're experiencing at the moment may be side effects with you just starting the Tramadol, if you have a look at the Patient Info Leaflet that should have been in the box, it will have details about potential side effects. When I first started with Tramadol, I was told to start off on about half the full dosage, then increase it if and when it was necessary, but you would be better checking with your own GP to see if this would be a suitable thing for you to try.

If you have a look around the forum, you'll find it's full of info and advice about all sorts of things, so you may find some helpful ideas in amongst it all. Anything you want to know about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum pumpkin :wave:

As the Tramadol are making you feel spaced out you could try cutting them in half until your body has got used to them but doing this you might find they are not strong enough to ease your pain :?:

There are a lot of people who dont get on with tramadol so if you feel after a few days of trying you still cant get along with them go back & ask your GP for something else. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Northernanne » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:55 pm

:welcome: Hi I have been taking tramdol for years now I was drowsy at first and spaced out but over time your body gets used to it. I have found it to help a lot. I take 100mg slow release tramadol which slowly releases the tramadol over a 12 hour period and when I am bad top it up with 50mg tabs. This seems to work quite well, not a magic wand but it certainly helps.

It might be worth while going and discussing with the doctor what is going to be the best way for you to take the tramadol it is different for all and takes trial and error to get it right and regular medication reviews help also. Make a note of any side effects when they start if they improve or not etc all helps to get the balance right.
Northernanne
UKFM Member

Postby gemgems » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Hello
I've been taking Tramadol for about 4 years now and at first I felt very spaced out but that soon wore off. I now take a modified release Tramadol twice a day and find that better as there are less peaks and troughs and therefore less side effects. I used to take Zydol (brand name) but the GP kept trying to get me to go back to the ordinary Tramadol as they are cheaper. There is a big push from PCTs. to change from modified release tablets because of the cost. I found another brand of MR Tramadol called Maxitram which is cheaper than Zydol brand& works just as well. GP has agreed to prescribe this for me.
As said before some people just can't get on with Tramadol but if you struggle then try changing to a MR one before giving up completely .
Good luck.
gemgems
UKFM Newbie

Postby pumpkin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Thankyou for all your replys.Today I have taken just 100mg and I felt quite sicky so had to cancel my work training.The trouble is taking this amount doesn't take the pain away,just makes me sleepy.I am worried to take anymore as don't want to feel spaced out and got a waking night at work tomorrow.I can't give my job up as we need the money.Do you think I should just carry on with 100mg and see how it goes?Just don't know what to do for the best.If anyone else has been in the same situation would love to hear from you or any advice.It is hard to work and adjust to tablets,can't take any time off as they haven't given me my contract due to sickness in the past.Been feeling very tearful and helpless today :(
pumpkin
UKFM Newbie

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 pm

hi pumpkin i take tramadol and yes at first they made me sick and drowsy like i was drunk,

now i am ok but i eat a couple of digestive or toast befor i take them try and give them time and if they are still making you feel so bad go back and tell gp.

i also take paracetamol with them for added pain relief and some other called celbrex.

i know it is hard to work and get used to a new med but they may work given time but as i said dont take them on a empty stomach.

hope they work or you get another that dose

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby fibrostar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi, I was first given Tramadol when we lived in spain, and the dr gave it to me in liquid form, it was a small bottle with a pump and I could control my dose better, if I needed more I just had a few more squirts, and vice versa if I needed less. I don't know if you can get this from your dr but it would be worth asking, as you could take it at you're own pace.
Or try what a lot of us do and take paracetamol in between, I know from experience take it at you're pace not the dr's , ive been taking it for about 6yrs now and I still have bad days, if i take too much it makes me feel sick, if i don't i'm in a lot of pain, its hard sometimes to find a balance.
Good Luck!
:fingerscrossed:
Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.
fibrostar
UKFM Member

Postby madblonde123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 am

It is a very common effect of tramadol as it.can actualy lower your blood pressure when taking but eventualy your body gets used to it.it took me two weeks to get rid of the spaced out feeling but it does go x
madblonde123
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello