Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Postby gizzie1962 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi i am new to this site and after reading this, felt i had to reply. I am fed up with hearing about some of the rotten employers out there and their attitudes, it seems they can get away with murder!

I was diagnosed with fm in 2010, prior to this i was working for the DWP amazingly taking claims for ESA.

Around March 2009 i began to experience all kinds of weird things, which at the time, i found pretty scary as i did not have a clue what was wrong with me and i had a weeks off work. I had a rather unsympathetic doctor, who sent me for an mri scan as i had experienced something similar 15 years earlier, though nothing as bad. The results were negative, so he put it down to random nerve pain and said there would probably be no explanation.

I continued to work, gradually getting more and more unusual symptoms and feeling worse. In around June 2009 it was advised by a neurosurgeon that i try gabapentin. I had a terrible experience with this as it left me feeling sick and drunk feeling. after i had been on it for around 8 weeks, i changed doctors, who also sent me for bloods etc. He decided to gradually take me off the gabapentin and also signed me off work.

i had been off work for around seven weeks when i was called in for a meeting with one of my supervisors ( i had to attend these to keep them informed with my condition. I was told that as i had gone over the time allowed for absence, That she may have to refer me to a decision maker, who just so happened to be the manager of my call centre.

My doctor also put me on Naproxen, which seemed to be helping, and i decided to return to work at the end of September. Of course i knew i also had the meeting to face, I did my best to stay at work, though at times, it was killing me and i was worried i was not doing my job properly. I had a meeting with the boss who said she would have to consider my employment as i couldnt keep having time off. I told her i was trying to attend work and that i did not feel completely well, but felt i had no option but to be there.

I was then told that only i could decide if i was well enough to be at work and that i shouldnt come in if i felt unable. The only thing i felt was that i couldnt win. I was wrong if i didnt go in and wrong if i did! Anyway she told me she would give me her decision within 10 days. I was still having tests with my doc to find out what was wrong and it was purely by chance that i came across fm which ticked all the boxes. I immediately told my doctor, who agreed to send me to a rheumy as he didnt know much about it but thought it sounded like it could be from the information i had given him.

Whilst i was waiting for an appointment, i had another meeting with my boss, who heard all the evidence regarding my illness and i told her that it looked as though i may finally be getting a diagnosis.

About a week later,(beginning of December) i was told she had made a decision and called to her office, where she said i could not guarantee that i was not going to be absent from work again with this mystery illness and when i told her i had an appointment for January and again what the illness might be and that i was hoping to be given the correct meds, she replied that i did not have a diagnosis at that moment in time, and dismissed me on the spot.

I was also frogmarched fron the premises halfway through my shift as this is how they do things. I was made to feel like a criminal. 4 weeks later i saw the rheumy and was immediately diagnosed with fm. I lodged an appeal with a higher body, but was turned down as, they believed that the decision was correct as i did not have a diagnosis at the time the first decision was made.

I felt that this was so unfair and that they got rid of me before i could get a diagnosis, knowing full well that once i had a diagnosis it would be harder for them to dismiss me. I also feel that they could have given me the chance to at least see if i was going to get a firm diagnosis.

I was told at the time by my union rep that they had previously taken on a new batch of people and that because they had made a mistake and taken on too many, they were looking to get rid of as many people as they could and did not care what methods they used. I felt like i worked for the mafia as even if you tried to take things further, they all stuck together.
Last edited by denys on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Smaller paragraphs
gizzie1962
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Sorry to hear you had to go through so much with no recourse, I've edited your post as one of the problems some FM suffers find is the inability to read big blocks of text

Sounds like you had no chance from the outset :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby diane1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Gizzie

I'm so sorry you were treated like this but I know this happens. The public think that the staff at JCP have it easy if only they knew. I must admit I was treated ok while there but I was one of the decision makers, however I was dismissed due to my long sick absence on ineficiency and got 100% compensation but I got the letter the day after i'd been dismissed and then my manager didnt call me I had to call him 10 days later to tell him. He said he just hadnt got round to calling me. After 30 years service to say I was disgusted was an understatement.

At least we know how devious they are when it comes to claiming benefits. I've put it all behind me apart from fighting for my pension . Just concentrate on you and find the best way of getting through the day.

Take care

:grouphug:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby vectra » Fri May 25, 2012 12:13 pm

I think this is a brilliant piece of information and gives all suffers hope in work as alot of people who apply for jobs today if they've anything wrong with them they are not even put through for an interview.
vectra
UKFM Member

Postby diamondintherough » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey,
My name is Ray and I am looking for part-time work atm. I have previously worked in care work but it was so tiring i was flaring up all the time and had a lot of time off sick. In the end the management decided not to renew my contract (it was a temporary position).
I am encouraged to hear that people have been able to get help travelling to work. Most jobs these days are 2 bus rides away and I would be shattered by the time I get there. I am thinking of going into my local Job Centre after the bank holiday and trying to see one of these DEAs and see where I go from there.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi

The DEA should help with all aspects of work and your disability. If mobility is a problem they can use "action for work" and other agencies that help with the cost of taxi's if mobility is a problem or aides for the actual job. They will also lias with the new employer to make sure that everything is right for you and can make checks once you start to ensure they stick to the contract. That is what DEA's did when I was one and from talking to friends who are still in that role it should still happen.

There are alos lots of schemes only available through the DEA to get back to work. They include some schemes that give the emplyer help if they give you work in cases financial incentives. When you get the appointment tell them you have been advised to see them by an ex DEA. they will then know you have an idea of what they can do.

Good Luck and let me know by private message if you need any help.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby diamondintherough » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:21 am

Okay thanks for your help. I am guessing when i see them they'll sugest i do some voluntary work tho which is what im seeking to do atm. Just want to dip my toe in the water as most of my experience is in care work and im now seeking a more admin based career (desk work). If they can assist with any new jobs from the begining then im hoping that will nip any issues in the bud.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby TracyH » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Just to let people know my union rep suggested Access to Work. I was getting 3 buses each way to work and home. Access to Work can help with this, I now get a cab each way and it has taken so much weight off my shoulders, I am not so tired or aching when I get to work and takes next to no time to get home. Its bliss. Although I have to pay less that £2.00 each way towards the cost the government pay the rest and your work can pay something towards it, I had to pay £35 for a letter from my GP to confirm my illness it is so worth it. You can google Access to Work, mine was set up in less than a week. Its amazing. :-D
TracyH
UKFM Member

Postby Treece » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 pm

im so sorry you are going through this... i cant offer anything but kind words. Truly hope HR take him to task regarding his behaviour towards you. See your union rep or HR again ... this is work place bullying at its worse and is illegal . wish i could reach out and give you a hug xxx Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

What a shame as it seams that things were going muich better....sounds like an employer looking for an excuse!
This DEA buisness sounds like a great tool, something which should be made more public knowldge and a far better way to support people to work than the daft ESA which defies common sense!
babajane32
UKFM Member

Failed work test given 0

Postby LYNNDPB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Just been told I scored zero points
Apparently even if u can walk but it causes u extreme pain u don't score any points
The whole test is full of so many untruths it's disgusting
If u can climb stairs once a day in pain u can do it regularly
Oh if u are of smart apperance that goes against u
If u take a handbag u can carry things
The fact I turned up it seems u xan work
That's despite going there knocked me for six for days after
Surely this can't be right
LYNNDPB
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Appeal straight away, because that isn't supposed to be the case at all, you have to be able to do things repetitively not just once.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Polldoll14 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I have been supported by the DEA in the past at work. They are brilliant and They are now helping me to look for a part time job that is within my capabilities.
Polldoll14
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits