[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pregabalin and Weight Gain

Pregabalin and Weight Gain

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pregabalin and Weight Gain

Postby LouLou » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Afternoon all

About a month ago my doctor switched my meds and took me off Gabapentin and put me on Pregabalin. I take 1 100mg tablet 3 times a day (and I'm allowed an extra 1 before bed to get me through the night of needed) Since Fibro invaded my body I have had to stop going the gym and can only handle really really light exercise.

I have always had a healthy diet, lots of veg, fruit, salad, fish etc but I do occasionally have a treat. I've found in the last month that I've put on weight. I'm not overweight or anything and my other half has even said I look much better for having some meat on me, but I was just wondering if anyone else was on Pregabalin and had noticed this? My diet hasn't changed in the last month - if anything I've been eating less. It's not a huge concern of mine and I am seeing my GP Thursday for a review so will question him too, but I'm interested in knowing if weight gain is a side effect?

Gentle hugs and smiles to you all

Lou Lou x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Re: Pregabalin and Weight Gain

Postby kazmcd39 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:01 pm

it does say on the information sheet inside the box that it can cause weight gain, i wouldnt say i have gained weight but can not lose it no matter how i try. hpe that helps. xx
Live life to the fullest, cause you never know when you need to take it easy
kazmcd39
UKFM Member

Postby deanna dimech » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I have been on pregabalin for some years now and have put on 3 stone in the first two. I have held my weight for the last two years but only because i go to slimming world but i dont loose any weight. Sorry its not good news :yikes:
deanna dimech
UKFM Member

Postby bebee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:55 pm

I have to agree with what has already been said. i have been on them for approx 7 months and i have put on 11/2 stone.
bebee
UKFM Newbie

Postby fliss » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm

i tried pregablin for 2 month and gain approx 3 stone iv come off of it but im still struggling to lose the weight 6 months on
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby helen w » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I was on pregabalin for quite a while and the weight crept on steadily. I took myself off it as was concerned at how much medication I was on. I lost 2 stone very quickly without trying and must say feel better for it. The pain is worse but my joints don't hurt as much so weighing one against the other I would rather have less weight!
My problem now is that my pain dr wants me to go back on it and won't see me again unless I do!!
I still believe that unless you suffer this frustrating illness you will never understand what it feels like and what we have to go through every day/week. I have not met a dr yet that understands. I have gone through so many,including 2 pain drs.Looks like another one is about to get the boot!!
My advice...try it to see if it suits you as we are all different but for me personally I won't go back on it.
Let us know how you go on
Hugs xxxx
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

I was put on pregabalin/lyrica end of May have put on about 2 1/2 stone since then . It has done wonders for the nerve pain but am so down about my weight given I put on another 4lb last week and yet haven't increased what I eat . If anything OH thinks I eat less.
I wasn't a Twiggy to start off with given I have had other meds all with the side effect of weight gain, my main gripe its all around my tummy so I look pregnant!!! :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

Americans call these sorts of drugs Obesenegenic medications..ones liable to dramatically increase a certain percentage of patients weight.

As if we didn't have enough to contend with! :scream-1: :too-upset:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby poocarlin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I read all this and had a Twix.........
poocarlin
UKFM Member

Postby tessmcg2012 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 pm

tessmcg2012
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I havent changed my diet at all but have started to gain weight. I dont even feel like the pregabalin are working any better than the gabapentin.

It seems so unfair to have this added onto everything im goinh through at the moment. Im seeinh my gp tomorrow to discusd any other alternatives.

As always thank you all for the support. It really doed help to know im not on my own.

Gentle hugs and apologies for any typos - bad fibro day lol x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Weight Issues