[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello

Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello

Postby martine121 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi,

I'm Martine and I'm 39. I live with my two teenage children and work in debt management. (not at all stressful!) I love getting together with friends and having a good old natter and have recently started cycling. Only a few miles, completely on the flat... I'm stunned to find I enjoy it though! I love X Factor and anything else equally as cheesy....

I and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last week. Like everyone else I have been suffering for a few years and seeing my doctor for many different things. It wasn't until I got so fed up and just wrote down 'random' symptoms over a period of 4 weeks, took it to my GP and finally the penny dropped and I was referred to the muscular/skeletal unit at my local hospital. My doctor had already mentioned the condition so I researched it. There were symptoms I had that I hadn't even mentioned... it made so much sense, and answered so many questions! When the diagnosis finally came I felt a real sense of relief that finally there was a reason for my feeling unwell. It wasn't all in my head, or because I'm overweight, I haven't exaggerated everything, nor am I a wimp! I'd really started to believe these things of myself.

I've carried on, wading through mud for years, adapting (pacing myself), trying to not let it bother me. I've made many changes to prevent feeling dreadful, whilst still managing alot to make me feel better.

On the run up to the hospital appointment I wrote a diary to try to show just how bad it could be. We all know it's different on different days. I found myself focusing too much on the pain so I had to stop writing it. I created a 'check chart' 1-10 pain meter for each limb and joint. Same, so had to stop filling it in. Before the diagnosis I seemed to be able to 'ignore it' ... still very much there but because I'd adjusted my lifestyle I felt in control of my symptoms - if that makes sense.

Is it normal that now it feels worse than ever before? I went to see a Pain Management consultant today. She was lovely and specializes in Fibro - but basically told me what we all know already - can't fix it, you have it forever, you have to find a way to live with it. I'm already doing most of the things suggested - keeping stress down, pacing, knowing when to stop, asking for help etc....

It's almost like now I have an official name that explains everything, I've given myself 'permission' to feel it and it's presence is very much felt. After reading some of the posts on here It's occurred to me that it's possible that the stress of the diagnosis and the confirmation that this is forever has triggered a 'flare' maybe?

I don't know - but I do know that anyone with this condition has my full sympathy and well done to all of you for finding your way to cope. I'm confused, frightened and tired. It has been a huge help reading loads of posts about how you all live with it.

If you've read this far, thank you for listening, I'll try to be more cheerful next time! :o) x
martine121
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello

Postby Fender » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Welcome.
I have not been here long. Lots of useful information and always an understanding reply.
Take care D x
Fender
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

:welcome: to our little fibro sanctuary Martine :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: There's lots of info and advice on here. so have a look and a read around, hopefully you'll find some helpful suggestions in amongst it all.

It's not unusual to feel worse after you've been diagnosed. It seems that with the build up to the appt, wondering and worrying about what might be said, and then the appt itself when you're poked and prodded and questioned about how things are for you, it all snowballs and catches you up in it as it rolls down the hill. Then there's the realisation of what FM is, even when you've been living with it pre~dx, it's as if giving it a name makes it more defined, rather than the collection of random and jumbled up symptoms that you had accommodated previously.

Just ask if there's anything you're wondering about, it doesn't tend to take too long for someone to :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: along with a reply for you :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum Martine :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby martine121 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Thank you Fender and Denys... and especially fluppy puffy!

I feel a bit lost right now.... I'm sure I'll find my way here. x
martine121
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello