What's fibro and what's something else? Help?!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What's fibro and what's something else? Help?!

Postby kittyboo12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 am

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2008 but had suffered with pain and fatigue for a few years before that, possibly stemming from a post-op infection and then post-viral infection. I also had Henoch Schonlein Purpora - not sure if thats the same as the post-viral infection or not! I also (a year after being diagnosed) contracted glandular fever which made everything worse.
I also have polycystic ovaries. I get some period pain type cramps throughout the month, which I assume is to do with the pcos. I take Yasmin to regulate my periods as otherwise they're very infrequent and painful.

Yesterday I had a check up appointment with my consultant and as a result of it, i'm being sent for blood tests and an ultrasound on my hands, feet and knees to check for psoriatic arthritis. That's because I described pains I've started feeling in my joints which are different from my normal fibro pain. Aching and stiffness.

Miscellaneous?:
-I'm also getting a lot of really bad headaches lately - usually around this time of night, irrespective of how much/when i've slept that day, as my sleep pattern varies hugely.
-When I try to pee i'm sat there for a long time before it actually happens, even if i really need to go.
-My digestion is all over the place - I can be constipated one day and have diarrhea the next. I also have developed a sensitivity to dairy (i think) and get severe stomach cramps.
-I get jaw ache sometimes, particularly when it's cold. I also get earaches when it's cold, sometimes it seems to be caused by the jaw pain.

ALSO getting lots of cold sweats, constantly feeling full and then feeling sick when I eat anything, and sometimes retching/vomiting uncontrollably. But I think these are side effects of pregabalin, which I intend to stop taking (with support from my gp).

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can make sense of things, maybe shed a little light on what's what, are these normal fibro problems or is it something else? I'm 21 years old and I feel as though my life has kind of been stolen from me. I would like at least to know whats going on! Thanks for reading x
kittyboo12
UKFM Newbie

Re: What's fibro and what's something else? Help?!

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 am

hi, its good that you are having things checked out with your joints,

with the other things im not saying they are part of fm because we should have anything new checked out not just presume its fm, but

i to get headaches jaw and ear pain, have ibs and bad periods, also quite often feel and be sick,

mine have all been put down to fm but i did get them checked out,

i do feel for you as in your other posts you have said how old you are and have had more than your fare share,

i realy hope that you can get some of the things sorted to help you,

just keep remembering all that you have achived and are going to achive in the future, you sound like a very bright young lady.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

kittyboo12 wrote:Miscellaneous?:
-I'm also getting a lot of really bad headaches lately - usually around this time of night, irrespective of how much/when i've slept that day, as my sleep pattern varies hugely.
-When I try to pee i'm sat there for a long time before it actually happens, even if i really need to go.
-My digestion is all over the place - I can be constipated one day and have diarrhea the next. I also have developed a sensitivity to dairy (i think) and get severe stomach cramps.
-I get jaw ache sometimes, particularly when it's cold. I also get earaches when it's cold, sometimes it seems to be caused by the jaw pain.

ALSO getting lots of cold sweats, constantly feeling full and then feeling sick when I eat anything, and sometimes retching/vomiting uncontrollably. But I think these are side effects of pregabalin, which I intend to stop taking (with support from my gp).

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can make sense of things, maybe shed a little light on what's what, are these normal fibro problems or is it something else? I'm 21 years old and I feel as though my life has kind of been stolen from me. I would like at least to know whats going on! Thanks for reading x

On a fibro point of view the jaw pain can be related an associated condition called TMJ which also causes severe headaches. You can talk to your dentist as well as GP about this.

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/overlappi ... s/tmj.html

IBS is also another commen symptom

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/overlappi ... drome.html

Obviously you'll need to see your GP to go through it as may be something different and as you say related to meds.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby kittyboo12 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks very much for your replies - I think these are definitely things to bring up at my next gp appointment.

Sometimes I find the broad range of symptoms a bit overwhelming, as I don't know what is relevant and what the right questions to ask are. I'm sure that'll sound familiar - curse of a syndrome I guess!

So yes, thanks again, it put my mind at rest a bit :)

All the best xx
kittyboo12
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems