[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - modafinil (wonder drug)

modafinil (wonder drug)

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

modafinil (wonder drug)

Postby lindz » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:10 am

lindz

modafinil

Postby mosey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:31 pm

mosey
UKFM Newbie

Re: modafinil (wonder drug)

Postby FibroSherry247 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 am

I asked my GP for Modafinil and to my dismay he flatly refused. Stating that it wasnt licensed and it is usually prescribed for soldiers in the war.... blah, blah, blah. I was so hurt I wanted to cry as I did explain to him that I am in the work related group of ESA and have been told to go back to work. I told him I can cope with the pains but I am struggling with the severe fatigue. Just getting up to brush my teeth can tire me out for a few hours where I have to go back to bed. It fell on deaf ears. I even told him that my neighbour who has fm was prescribed Modafinil and he said well we have a few patients here with fm and none of them have ever asked for Modafinil. Well if they want me to work I need something. I did manage to get a few from my neighbour (naughty I know) I havent taken them as I read that it interacts with Fluoxetine which I am on and the Modafinil may enhance or decrease the effects of the Fluoxetine. I am a bit frightened of which way I may go but it will come to a point when I eventually find a job where I am going to have to be popping those few Modafinil's to suppress the severe fatigue.

Does anyone else know if there is anything else out there in the place of Modafinil?
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Be careful dont go taking off licence drugs without medical approval. The side effects may cause you some terrible problems this post is from 2006
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FibroSherry247 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Denys, my neighbours GP prescribes Modafinil so it is not unlicensed. My GP found every excuse under the sun not to give me the drug but didnt give me a proper medical reason and claimed that my neighbour must have got it from the hospital as GP's do not prescribe these drugs. Absolutely not true. I am quite desperate here and if I am expected to go out to work in pain with a walking stick, they cannot expect me to cope with severe fatigue on top of it all. Its just too much :-?
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I can understand how desperate you are and completely agree the worry about how on earth we would manage if expected to work again is immense, can you change doctors?? maybe see if the one your neighbour is with is taking new patients maybe that would strengthen your chances of being supplied the drug correctly.

I just worry that if you take it combined with all the other meds you are on you may endanger yourself seriously :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:13 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Flash » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 pm

The lengths some people go to help others on this site, never ceases to amaze me... :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby FibroSherry247 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Denys and FluffyPuffy. I do have to change doctors anyway as I have moved out of the catchment area. In the meantime I am going to try Siberian Ginseng in order to build up some energy. Its really hard :-|
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 pm

I really hope you get some relief Sherry and a more understanding doctor :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FibroSherry247 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 am

So do I Denys :fingerscrossed:
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:31 am

Hope you can find some relief and a more FM friendly GP Sherry :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Do you find the Ginsing works? Can you let us know how you get one with it.

I need something for the fatigue at the moment it is my worst symptom!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FibroSherry247 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Thank you FluffyPuffy, with a bit of luck my next gp will be a little more understanding although this one has helped me a great deal.
Iceskatemum, I most definitely will let you know if the Siberian Ginseng works once I am able to get to Holland & Barrett to get some or may just order online. Like yourself I am struggling so bad with the fatigue that it is more overbearing than the pain.

I will keep you posted :hugs:
FibroSherry247
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks hope it works :fingerscrossed:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication