[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - hello new and struggling

hello new and struggling

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hello new and struggling

Postby wildbird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi my names Nicki, live with my 9 year old. Only got diagnosed with FM last Thursday, but it was first mentioned I could have it about 9 months ago. Don’t think my GP believes me and thinks I am depressed and proberbly a little crazy!!!! finally saw a lovely Rheumatologist who listened and seemed to understand and told me a bit more about FM.
I’m struggling at the moment, I work full time and I am a single parent. I have to work to pay mortgage etc but I feel like it is killing me slowly. I have been off sick for the past 2 weeks and I am going to try and go back in tomorrow 
The Rheumatologist doctor has just started me on a course of Lyrica medication, was wondering if any one had or is taking this and if it worked? Read a bit about it the other night and the side effects people said they had were awful!
:(
wildbird
UKFM Newbie

Re: hello new and struggling

Postby sooz59 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Nicki, I'm new to the site too, but can identify totally with your comments .... I've recently been diagnosed having had symptoms for past 7-8yrs, and found that doctors very quick to put it all down to depression, (or your age! :evil: ), but have at last found a GP who understands what FM is all about! ...
I too have to work fulltime to pay the bills etc, seems to be a no-win situation at times, stress of work worsens FM symptoms so you have time off sick which then stresses you out as you start to worry about the effect it'll have on your job :( It would be so nice to be able to get off that particular treadmill!
I've not as yet had a referal to a rheumatologist so can't comment on the course of Lyrica you've been prescribed .... But just wanted to reply as it sounds oh so familiar as to what is happening to me at the mo!
sooz59
UKFM Newbie

Postby wildbird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey, thanks for replying. Totally with you, it is a nightmare, i'm lucky my boss is very supportive but doesn't really "get it" when I say about the tiredness etc, he's like....I know how you feel mate, i'm knackered all the time too!!!!! And I do get commets from friends as the doc said i could possiblly have CFS too, so when I mentioned this to a friend they said aww whats that lazyitist, I know it was said as a joke but comments like that are not helpful/
I think I need to channge my GP as I don't think he believed Fibro is areal thing and as I said just thinks i'm mad!!!!!
I hope you get to see a Rhymatoligst soon and they are as understanding as the one I saw xxx
wildbird
UKFM Newbie

Postby sooz59 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Thats the trouble with an "invisible" illness, especially one thats so difficult to describe and not always acknowledged by the medical profession either, can so easily be seen as lazyitis etc :( I got a couple of work colleagues who are understanding, but goes totally over the heads of the others ..... Often means i do a lot more than i really should just to feel that i'm seen to be pulling my weight!
I've seen mixed reports re rheumatologists, so hope i get to see one of the good ones! At least my GP has said he'll refer me, unlike a lot of posts i've viewed where people are banging their head against a brick wall when it comes to getting any further than an unmoving GP! :(
Good luck in changing your GP, i've spent so long being told its depression/my age etc, that it came as sumwhat of a shock to find a GP who not only listened to what i was saying, but actually agreed when i asked, (for the umpteenth time!), if my symptoms could be due to FM! .... It helps a lot! :-D
sooz59
UKFM Newbie

Postby diane1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi and :welcome:

Ive had fibro for 22 years and have leaernt to live with it but it was hard. The symptoms got steadily worse over the years until I had to retire at 47. I find that i cope better now i'm at home as I can pace myself like we are always told to but found it impossible when working. My advice is dont look back on what you used to do just look forward to what you can do now.Looking back will only depress you.

I have taken Lyrica (pregabalin) and am now on a low dose. I found lyrica made a huge difference to me especially as the dose was increased but I had an unusual side effect and my skin peeled off. I was taken off it straight away as its a sign your liver isnt coping with it but was allowed back on a low dose as I found it so helpful. I didnt have any other side effects except a dry mouth.

Good luck but you'll find this site a huge help as manyy of use have.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm

:welcome: to the forum Nicki :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby wildbird » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 pm

hi thanks for the replies, sorry in delay but been knackered and not been on the computer. I'm just having my dose of Lyrica upped, it will do to 150mg twice a day then 300mg twice a day, I hope I don't get any of the side effects as I really want it to work and not make me feel worse. My doctor don't really want to give it to me as it is too expensive!!!!!!!!!! Yes really that's what he told me, said I should be grateful that he is giving it to me....think I need a new gp lol
wildbird
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello