[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - hello!

hello!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hello!

Postby elfval » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi!

I have been reading the forums for a while now but this is my first post :)

I turned 40 in Oct and was diagnosed with FMS in dec. I have had recurrent pain in my shoulders since i was a child and had knee pain also on and off, also suffered with dreadful migraines during my teens and 20's.

I had a difficult childhood and have anxiety and had depression through my teens, 20's and early 30's. In my 30's I developed IBS and now also have irritible bladder as well - yay!

As my depression lifted and I discovered beta blockers to help me cope with the anxiety I began to volunteer at my local citizens advice bureau to see what I was capable of.

I started to notice that I was getting flu like symptoms for months at a time, without ever actually getting the flu, and instead of my usual localized aches I was aching all over. Even though I was no longer depressed I was still tired all the time, something I had thought was a symptom of my depression.

As the doctors told me over and over that I had a viral infection, or pulled muscles I started to ask questions, what kind of viral infection never goes away? How could i be pulling so many muscles without doing strenuous exercise? They started to test me for all sorts of things and as each test came back negative the doctor thought I should be happy as there was 'nothing wrong with me' But of course this didnt stop how awful I was feeling. I started to become embarassed about my pain, and tried to ignore it thinking it must just be me, still being 'mental'.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with FMS and it sounded so much like how I am that I started to research the subject and I ticked ALL the boxes.By this time the pain had spread to my thighs and hips, and also sometimes migrates round my body so fast (like electric shocks) that I cant keep up with it. I took this to my doctor and said 'I think I have FMS' and she said 'oh no you dont want that!' - like I had a choice!
She tentatively diagnosed me with Nerve Hypersensitivity Syndrome, which Is probably true for some part, but does not explain all my symptoms.

I was horrified when she said the treatment for this is anti depressants as I had been on these for years and struggled terribly with the side effects and have been proudly anti depressant free for about 10 years.(although maybe they were why I never had this much pain before?) She wanted to put me on low dose amyltriptyline, which I know is a common treatment and has helped many people. I said I would only consider this if she sent me to a rheumatologist. This is how I got my diagnosis.

He isnt a big advocate of amyltriptyline and I now take tramadol when the pain gets bad. I am waiting for my referral to the pain clinic and have joined a local gym that has a swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Heaven! I have also bought a wheat bag - How have I survived so long without one!

I take one day at a time, I am used to pacing myself due to anxiety, and the pain I have been coping with, but there is confusing advice about not doing 'too much' and making sure you get enough exercise. i have read the spoon theory, but I guess no one can tell you how many spoons you have, and we will each be different.

these forums have been a treasure trove of information and inspiration and there are so many things I am going to try.

Elfval x
elfval
UKFM Member

Re: hello!

Postby denys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

Hi Elfval and :welcome: to the forum :wave: if you have any questions just ask :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 am

Hi Elfval , so glad you have found the forum , its been a lifeline since my Dx last feb. Everyone is really friendly and always there with a virtual hug and friendly advise.

Take care
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

:welcome: to the forum elfval :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby elfval » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank you for a lovely warm welcome :-D x
elfval
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello