[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Researching fibromyalgia and mould

Researching fibromyalgia and mould

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

If you have FM have you been exposed at all to damp or mouldy conditions?

Yes
72%
No
22%
Possibly
6%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes : 18

Postby KateTMcC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:45 pm

I live in an apartment that was built in 2004, there was a fire in 2005 in 2 blocks, including mine, mine is ground floor and was flooded as it took about 12 hours to put the fire above out. Since moving back in my bedroom has had bad damp problems, I've used dehumidifiers (inlcuding one given by the builders as they thought maybe it hadn't dried out enough (we were out of the flat for 14mths following the fire due to the amount of fire and water damage. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with asthma, and last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (a chronic illenss), I have been reading up and researching and fibromyalgia (and asthma) are more often that not caused by mould spores (there has been mould growing on my bedroom wall since the fire - I am constantly having to clean it off.

Has anybody else read anywhere about the links between the two? - I spoke to my doctor today and she is useless, basically said NOBODY knows what causes it, she doubted what I read and was very rude to me. (my usual doctor has moved to another surgery and I have arranged to go and see here on Tuesday next week. In the meantime I am trying to research this idea. If there is a possible known cause then there should be a way to reverse it or treat it?
KateTMcC
UKFM Newbie

Re: Researching fibromyalgia and mould

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 am

I haven't read anything specific with this point of view but it is an interesting theory.

I worked about 20 years ago in a very old building, it had no damp course etc and when it rained the water ran down the inside of the space between the walls until it hit the bottom & it then ran out onto the floor of my office . I used to have a mop ready to mop the tiles any time it was raining. During the time I worked here I was DX with Raynauds which cleared up as soon as I moved to a portacabin while restoration took place. I then went to work in a newish office for many years and it cleared up

The last few years I have had mould due to condensation in our bedroom , my OH was recently DX with asmatha, while I have been bad with general pains & aches for a few years before DX in Feb 2012.

I did see a programme ages ago about mould and its efffect on peoples health but it was America led as they tend to look into these things before the UK. Given the exact cause of FM isn't known I think it very unkind of your Gp to dismiss your concerns in teh way they did. I know they can be short on time with patients but rudness is never the answer.

Good luck with you research
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

I haven't heard anything about links with mould. I have to say, I have not lived in places with mould. My symptoms started 18/19 years ago after a bout of Glandular fever, also had a car accident around the same time causing whiplash. A lot of people get symptoms after whiplash which is why the Americans looked into nerve damage in the neck. The theory has been around for many years and Christine Craggs-Hinton mentioned a link with nerve damage in her book in 2000.

I beleive strongly in this theory as I have all the hall marks for vagus verve damage. Reading posts on here in the past, I think more should be looked into it. This is something that could have been researched with propper funding if other medical people had not put it out there that F/M was in the head.

Hopefully they might go back to more logical causes rather than faffing around, pulling at straws...
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't think mould spores are good for anyone to breathe in. I live in a small house that gets very humid very quickly, I have to open windows at some point during the day to let the house breathe otherwise there would be mould everywhere. Not great in the winter months when you just want to keep warm!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm

I haven't come across anything suggesting there could be a linky between FM and mould. However, that doesn't mean there isn't. With so much still unknown about the condition, it's another of the things that needs adding to the list of research projects to be carried out so it can definitely be said whether it is or isn't tied into things.

As monica has said, breathing in mould spores is bad for anyone and everyone. I also keep lots of windows open thru~out the year so the house an breathe and freshen up. And should any appear (bathroom is tiny and the most humid room in the house due to the temperatures we have our baths and showers at) I use spray bleach as it kills it off, then wipe it away.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 pm

HI
I have not come across any links about mould but there is still lots more research needing to be done. I have not been in any contact myself with mould but pretty sure it was trauma that triggered mine.

Hopefully we will get some answers one day. :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 am

You are aware of fungal pneumonia?
Additionally, I see the talk of dehumidifiers but no mention of air purifiers/filters....
It is the air purifiers with hepa filters that would probably trap spores and you need the windows closed for the most effective use of those. Buy them from argos for about £100.
There are, if I remember correctly, 3 different types of pneumonia and fungal pneumonia is most definately one. Would people like a link?
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:00 am

I'd like a link please
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 am

Ok, I just did some quick research on a medical website and the two significant things I noted were these:
Although there was no direct links to FM and any kind of pneumonia or moulds they did mention the clear link to being sensitive to toxins and mould spores would probably qualify as such and if not then certainly you can expect some kind of toxin in an environment that is condusive to moulds. My question here is not so much that can we prove that sensitivity to mould spores can cause or trigger the onset of FM but rather that allergies or sensitivity is a co morbid condition. I myself was tested for 40 allergens and tested positive to 39. Mould spores were among the 39. My dog now has developed a collapsing trachea and coughing is a key feature and pollution is indicated as something that exacerbates the condition.
My second observation was this:
Fibromyalgia has many different aspects that cause the body to create/release cortisol and this is the bodies natural steroid. Chronic stress of whatever kind will lead to chronic cortisol production and release and this will, in turn, depress the immune system and lead to increased susceptability to infections.
Signs /symptoms of a depressed immune system could be higher frequency of thrush infections, cold sore, respiratory tract infections, cuts or sores that take longer to heal than normal, mouth ulcers, sores in the corners of the mouth and other similar somewhat minor and low grade infections but all are accompanied with chronic tiredness and exhaustion.

Completely unrelated to the original question I would suggest that if the house is rented then legal advice should be sought to force the landlord to carry out the measures necessary to make the homeegally fir for habitation. If it is privately owned by a person on a low income then I am certain help can be sought from charities to assist financially and with advice on how to properly address the mould problem and finally.........
Get a carbon monoxide alarm fitted because many FM symptoms are similar to carbon monoxide poisoning and I am sure this isnt the case here but these alarms are a legal requirement in rented homes for good reason and they save lives. A childhood friend of mine died from carbon monoxide poisoning and my two nephews were saved by an alarm. The man who attended the leak said the reading was so high that those two boys would have been dead by the morning.
Hope this was helpful.xx
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 am

Ok, I dont want to jump the gun here but I just *might* possibly have found the info you seek.
I offer the links with this caveat: When you look on the net you can google up whatever info you want but heres the important bit: The author or source of the info... if they are flogging you a product then I would not trust their data. Companies that are sponsored to do research that concludes you need a potion sold by the sponsors... basically the source and the motives of the source dictates the quality of the info.
Here it comes!

http://biosignlabs.com/Symptoms_Mold_Sickness.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... u-ill.aspx

http://www.taoofwellness.com/newsletters/mold2a.htm

http://www.hadd.com/sickhomes
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 am

I made an error and there is likely a reason for my thinking which is not immediately apparent. Theres way more than three types of pneumonia... maybe I was thinking pathogens.. bacterial, viral and fungal but theres inhalation pneumonia and secondary drowning.... I am not thinking clearly because I am still hocked up with a bucket load of meds for pain and spasming. So sorry to have made such a basic error. I am cross with myself and my stupid brain for letting me down.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby angelwings1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 pm

My Son who is a Builder informed me the other day that the White patches on my walls od my Kitchen is White mould :shock: and it can lead to COPD which shocked me x
angelwings1
UKFM Member

Postby long time » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:45 am

Yes, I believe there could be a link between the two.
I have been exposed to this aswell.
Also I had a surveyor and environmental health report done on it.

There are books written about it also.

Of course no action was taken, I was too unwell to pursue it !!

xx
long time
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services