part time work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

part time work

Postby millieb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

I wondered if anyone else is a primary teacher with Fibro who has managed to get their hours reduced to help them? COuld do with some advice. Thanks :-)
millieb
UKFM Newbie

Re: part time work

Postby happybean » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm not primary, but a secondary teacher in a PRU. I managed to get them to drop me to 0.6 a couple of years ago. If you wave the disability flag at them (and they are local authority rather than private) they may well be obliging. I'm the only part time member of staff, so I was pretty lucky!
Having said all of that, I am really struggling on 0.6 as the job is really mad and stressful (as you can imagine with excluded teenagers...) :crazy: :crazy:
It does depend on the individual, though. We're all at different points of the huge FM spectrum so you might find it a significant help. It might be worth going to see occupational health for advice, though. I do think it is important to keep working if you can; not that teaching is the most fibro-friendly of jobs!!
Good luck :-)
happybean
UKFM Member

Postby millieb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks Happybean.
Yes I love the job so don't want to give it up completely. I'm currently trying to do full time hours, but, as you can imagine, am really struggling. Have requested to go 0.6 and am waiting on OH referral (headteacher messed up the form twice so has only been sent today - 2 weeks after I first asked for it).
There is already a teacher off on long term sick and we are only a very small school so I feel continuiously guilty about requesting the part time hours, but its that or I feel I will keel over completely. Just want to to the best for me and my class and I can't do it full time. It's so hard to make them understand at work.
millieb
UKFM Newbie

Postby happybean » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Yes it is hard. My immediate boss is spectacularly poor at empathy! As I've (nearly) always got a smile, she thinks I'm fine. To be honest, I work so hard, I'm probably trying to fit 5 days work into three now! They didn't bother to fill the 0.4 teaching post I left behind and put in a learning mentor instead. So I still have the overall responsibily for everything. When I get overwhelmed, my boss tells me to have an early night and a milky drink :-D :-D Once when I was describing my symptoms at the time, she said 'we all feel like that after work'. Oh for her to wear my shoes for a day!
Hope things work out for you. Keep us posted :-)
happybean
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Not a teacher but a mum who's daughter had job share teachers when she was in Primary 4. All I can say is both she & the teachers really enjoyed the experience. She blossomed having 2 very experienced teachers instead of one. The teachers blossomed as they were more refreshed , keener and obviously happier in thier job.

So good luck , I hope your boss realises that the situation you are in at the moment is not tenable and in order to keep an experienced teacher , they need to be more forward thinking.

Just a thought if they are against you going P/T is there anyone else in the school who might wish to job share . If they have the 2 of you willing to give it a go, they might be more accomodating.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia