[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Holding a pen, writing or holding a book to read.

Holding a pen, writing or holding a book to read.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Cybermum » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Recently I have found that I can no longer hold a pen to write as the pain becomes too much. Like a sickening ache. So now I have to type and print if I want to send a letter etc.
Also, I have always loved to lie in bed and read. But over the last year, I have found that the hand holding the book starts to go tingly, then numb and I have to stop reading, put the book down to get the feeling back.
I feel like my one enjoyment is being taken away from me. I used to walk a lot, can no longer do that, and now cannot even read for long before my hand goes numb.
I even have trouble holding my mobile phone when playing games as I start getting pain through my fingers and hands.
Does anyone else get these problems? Of course, to go with the tremors I get in my hands too.

Jo
xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Re: Holding a pen, writing or holding a book to read.

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Was at the hairdressers yesterday and while waiting for a treatment to work , she gave me one of those glossy mags to read ...after a couple of minutes had to give it back as it was too heavy for me to hold and my arm /hand started shaking !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi cybermum

I find i cant hold a pen for to long either, my hand begins to ache and i have to stop for a rest, its easier for me to type but i still have to limit this as well.

I also have problems holding on to things like a book but its not only my hands its my eyes as well, i cant read a book for long as my eyes will not focus and i lose concentration.

I have an Ipad so downloaded a couple of books on to that as i can make the font larger and i dont have to hold it, i have it in a case thats free standing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby paulamcl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:52 pm

hi yes i am exactley the same. i cant hold a pen for long and my arms and hands gets pins and needles in them and they ache. my legs get like that to when i go to bed. my eyes cant seem to focus on the page either after a while. it seems every week there is something new getting added to my symtoms of FM its very frustrating :-x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I am afraid that holding a pen, writing or holding a book becomes an impossibility. I used to knit, and that had to go, then I made hand-made cards for some 20 years, to sell for Missions, writing the scriptures in calligraphy, and suddenly last year, my hands just would not move and I could do nothing. Now been in hand supports for 6 months with carpal tunnel. Just still managing to type a little, with very many mistakes. Yes, like many, I cannot hold up a book either. I cannot also dress or undress without the help of my carer/husband as my arms are so restricted and painful. very sorry to see others are affected too in this way. sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

When I was at uni I was given extra time and had to use a computer as I couldn't hold a pen at all. I had to have wrist supports and a dictaphone because I could take notes etc.

I'm now at college again after having to leave uni. It's only once a week for 3 hours but it drains me. After an hour I feel like a zombie. :-/.

I try and read books etc on my iPhone because anything else hurts my arms, shoulders etc too much but even that hurts after a while.

Xx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi, yeah I get this too, very painful to write and hold a book to read. I have carpal tunnel from years ago too to start off with so I was always gonna suffer wasnt i? :roll:

I recently wrote a 7 page letter which took me all night to write but i was determined i wanted to hand write it.

My fingers hurt to type too, and I touch type so go fast, and suffer for it. Cant maintain it for anywhere near as long as i used to do, but cant let FM stop everything. I still do things and suffer afterwards.
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby atas123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Writing is getting more and more difficult for me - after every couple of words, my hand feels so tight that I have to drop my pen and stretch my fingers out. It's almost like the opposite of restless legs, where my hand just doesn't want to move! I originally thought it was something to do with my hypermobility, but reading this, I guess it's a fibro problem.

I've had a Kindle now for a couple of years, and that's made so much difference to my life - it's not very heavy, I can rest it everywhere and it automatically bookmarks the page, which is a real bonus
atas123
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lottebo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I have had increasing pain in my hands and fingers for a while. My lovely doctor decided to run some tests instead of just dismissing it as part of the fibro. I got referred to Rheumatology and have now been diagnosed with Autoimmune Arthiritis, which is something where they can treat the cause instead of the symptoms. So I have now started some new medicin. It takes about 3 months to work so am not sure about the result yet, but I am very hopeful that this will work and I am so happy I didn't just listen to the first doctor I saw who told me to take 6 painkillers 4 times a day. It really makes such a difference if you have a doctor who will listen and who understands fibro. Good luck.
Charlotte
Lottebo
UKFM Member

Postby Debz7172 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi, arthritis was the first auto-immune disease I was diagnosed with so when writing, holding books etc became difficult (I used to do cross-stitch and knitting but can't cross-stitch at all) I put it down to that but I think its prob a combination of both! My hubby gave me a Sony Ereader a couple of xmas ago and that is great, I rest it on a small cushion, mum and dad gave me a leather case for it with an in built light so its fab, makes such a difference if your a bookworm. As for the knitting I tend to knit smaller stuff ie baby clothes and use bamboo needles but can only do a few rows at a time but I refuse to give it up as we all know we have to give up wo many things you have to try to keep a few things going!! The last thing I knitted for myself was a cropped cardi and it took about 4 months to do but I was determined!!! I would definitely suggest an Ereader they are great you can go on the internet on them etc as well, and if you've get one get a case withe the light it has many benefits the main one being my reading doesn't disturb the hubby!! Lol You can also change the wise of the text so if your eyes are giving you grief as well you can adjust the wise and font to suit you!! Good luck. :-P
Debz7172
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I am the same my writing is terrible first few words not to bad then after that all down hill looks like a child that has just started school in fact there is probably better , if I try to write a word that has a J or W in it my finger seems to freeze , get embarrassed when i have to fill any form in :yikes: if O H with me I ask him to do them, used to love knitting that's gone ,sewing that's a struggle after so long start to get shadows round it then it seems to take an age to see focus again also start to get cramp in my wrist , tried doing a word search one day last week hopeless all the words ran into one
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Cyber mum

I too struggled to hold a book up to read but as it was my favourite thing to do to relax and unwind I refused to give in lol. My OH saw I struggled and brought me a kindle for Christmas. I never thought I would ever say this but I don't know how I ever coped without it lol. Mine isn't the latest version of the kindles but it does everything I need.

It is also really really light and you just press a small button to turn the page. You can also get covers to prop it up so you are not holding it up and there are even covers with lights attached. They can be a bit prices so I just got one of those clip on light thingies from Tesco it was only £1!

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

I soooo want a kindle :-) xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I bought a 6in tablet and have downloaded the android kindle app as well as the Hive app for other formats of ebooks and it's so much easier than wrestling with a book.

It's kindle sized so fits on/in those stand~case things and is really light.

When All Else Fails, Hug Your Teddy xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby isitme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 am

i haven't been able to read books for past couple of years so i onlyread on laptop now as can rest of need & only requires 1 finger to scrol.

got kindle for xmas but that just too heavy as well, dd2 uses it for games.
###

i listen to everything audio & got dictaphone, voice software for my ou course - really helpful.
listen to ipods, books, everthing now (do it whilst playing games & pretend i am working ;-) ).

:-)
isitme
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia