[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - A friend told me about this site

A friend told me about this site

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A friend told me about this site

Postby clsmbenn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 am

I was diagnosed with fibro yesterday and am quite relieved about it.

I have suffered from chronic back pain for over 20 years and after 2 ops, nerve block and other injections nothing seemed to work. i even went back to work for a while, but noticed my back was getting worse.

i have now been out of work for just over a year and started to notice other symptoms such as swelling in the hands, and very painful. i sometime struggle to write or even cut my food up. My husband has to help me get out of bed ect :oops: but i am starting to get used to that.

I saw a rheumatologist just before xmas and he said my back was degenerative and nowt they could do, but carry on. doesnt explain all the pain i am getting. Managed to persuade my gp to send me to another rheumatologist and low and behold i have fibro.

I am pleased my friend showed me this site as I am getting to understand abit more about it and how others cope, like with back problems you learn to cope and get to know your limits and capabilities.

I will continue to read more and learn more.

Thanks for reading

clsmbenn :-D
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Re: A friend told me about this site

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am

Hi clsmbenn

:welcome: to out little fibro family. I've been a menber of this site for over a year now and I have found it invaluable. I was diagnosed just under a year ago now and like you I felt relieved to have a name and an explanation as to why I was so tired and in so much pain all the time.

Mine was triggered by stress and trauma I had a lot of things happen and go wrong all in the space of a few months and haven't been the same since.

Everyone on here is so friendly and helpful and there is always someone who can answer your question. I love the Help/Tips on coping section on here and have found so many helpful tips and things to try. If you have found anything that helps you feel free to add.

Look forward to chatting with you

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby clsmbenn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am

thanks loulou

still finding my feet as they as say :-D

some stuff i have found useful and starting to understand what its like etc.

the thread about spoons was brill as i could relate to that very well.

as yesterday i did quite a bit with travelling and hour to hospital and back home and having to park at the very bottom of the hill to get to my appointment etc.

today, i am not so good, back very painful and i ache all over. was gonna do the house work, but am having to leave it as i know i will make myself worse. :pull-hair:

i will get used to it all, as i have got used to what i can do with my back, so its realising what i am capable of doing with having fibro. x
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Pacing yourself is the hardest thing to learn in my opinion and I'm still not very good at it lol.

Just rest up as it sounds like you had quite a day yesterday.

I love the spoon thread too, as during the day at work I an sometimes get through the whole day and some days I will be ok one minute and the next it's like I've hit a brick wall and I cannot physically or mentally do anymore and have to go home. I know now that when that happens it means I've used all my spoons lol.

With housework, I get quite a lot of help from OH as I struggle to do it on my own now. He does all the manual stuff like lifting the laundry basket, vaccuuming etc and I'll do the wiping of the sides etc. Sometimes you just have to adjust the way you do certain things, and you may find it takes you a bit longer to do even the smallest task. Don't be disheartened by it, we are all the same on here.

As the story about the Tortoise and the Hare says "slow and steady wins the race"

Take care of your self. Gentle hugs

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi there clsmben sorry you have had to join our merry band but :welcome: , like LouLou I joined just coming up to a year ago and have found the help & support from folk on here amazing .

I still haven't managed to read all the old threads but often find that if you put a query into the search box at the top you can get loads of advice about any subject either from recent posts or from many years ago . Seems there are no new problems in Fibro , its just a question asked a different way :lol:

After a while you start to relate to some folk on here and if you lucky like I have been you begin to feel they are true friends even though they may be many hundred of miles away and you would pass them in the street . I have found a number of these friends truly remarkable especially when going through hard times , they know how you feel and can offer support when you feel there is no one else there for you .

So sorry you have found your self on the purple Fibro Road but hope your journey is all plain sailing :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum clsmbenn :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our FibroFamily clsmbenn :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Wish you were joining us under nicer circumstances :( :( :(

As you'll have already seen, there is lots of info and advice on here, as well as understanding and support when you need that bit extra to get you thru things.

Having a look and a read as you find your way around the boards is a good place to start, esp with you being so newly dx'd. You probably have all sorts of thoughts and questions whirling round your head and could well come across some useful answers and suggestions during your explorings.

Anything you want to know about, all you need to do is ask and we'll try to point you in the right direction :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby clsmbenn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

:elephant: thank you :-D
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello