[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Please help - quite scared - first post

Please help - quite scared - first post

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Please help - quite scared - first post

Postby Eve123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Hello

I'm worried I might have this. One year post menopause, 49. Since menopause started found myself v creaky - getting up, off trains, up and down steps etc. Then a persistent niggly nighttime pain in right foot which I ignored, poor sleep ( but I have always had this), then on Christmas eve, out of the blue, a sharp pain in left big toe, followed by three days and nights of terrible pain - like giving birth in my foot. At the end of it, the toe and ball were left numb and "dead" to the touch, pretty much. They still are the same - 3 months later - no pain - just dead. Saw GP, blood tests disclosed nothing, saw neurologist - not helpful - said it would pass, last week an important conference then following night, terrible, persistent pain inside the calf of my left leg, and travelling up past my knee - I can feel it now as I type - although night much worse - no sleep since then, back to gp, more blood tests ordered for next week plus bone scan, pain in neck and shoulders over just one day, now gone. Quite fit - cycle etc - not overweight, quite stressed, sedentary job (researcher), gp hasn't mentioned this condition, but a friend at work said her mother had it, and reading the symptoms, many seem to match mine. Really worried about what might be in store for me. Have been given 60 co-codeine tablets for pain - v strong paracetemol - took 2 last night but didn't really manage pain.
Eve123
UKFM Newbie

Re: Please help - quite scared - first post

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm

:welcome: to the forum eve :cow-wave:

I have moved your post here as it is more suited as its your first post.

Have a read around the forum and see if you have any other symptoms, write them all down and take them to your gp.

The trouble with getting a dx of fibro is that is does not show up in any tests so it can take a long time as other things need to be ruled out first.

Some gp`s will dx fibro themselves but most will refer you to a Rheumy to get the dx.

Here is a link of some symptoms.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... ptoms.aspx

Any questions just ask :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Pipsie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Don't be scared! I know it is horrid that your body can be so nasty to you but be strong. Embrace the good days, and forget the bad :-) FM is new to me, too but I have had chronic pain in the form of endometriosis since I was thirteen. It's rough but you will adapt and find ways round it, if you let go of the fear. *A huge, massive, reassuring hug!*

I also completely sympathise with you regarding doctors. I have been dealing with naff, disinterested, complacent, and sometimes arrogant doctors for fourteen years, and sadly it hasn't changed. However, one thing I have noticed that may help is to get a young doctor, they seem much more concerned and eager to get to the bottom of it. Call it youthful exuberance!!! Another is just to make such a fuss they have no choice but to listen. Bug NHS direct, Friendoc, and even go to A&E if need be. Lose the 'I don't want to make a fuss' attitude we women practice so well and go and kick up a storm until someone does something useful for you. Every call and visit you make is recorded and your GP is notified. Also, always see the same GP if you don't already, that helps too- though do change immediately if they're no good. It's a bloody bore but needs must, I am afraid. It also helps you feel like you're doing something, and it gives one a direction, relieving some annoyances! :roll:

In the mean time look up with thoughts of perhaps taking Co Q10 and Bvits, Vit C, and Omega oils (flax and star flower are really good), make these ones to have in the morning. At night, about 30 mins before I would also try taking (on a one hour or more empty tummy) Magnesium, Calcium with Vit D, and Selenium. They relax the muscles, research everything first, just to be safe, and so you know how and why and who, etc.

I would also suggest you find a reputable acupuncturist, preferably Chinese, not Western trained, and a reflexologist. They may make things worse to begin with but keep at it, a few sessions and you will start to notice the effects. Quiet contemplation/meditation/and to a a degree prayer (if you are religious) are also helpful- the idea of quietening one's mind- being 'mindful'. Meditation is actually clinically proven to help with pain.
Hang in there, it can get tough but you will surprise yourself with how tough and resilient you are.
I hope you find some relief soon,
Pip :)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby Jivebunnie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi, I've got FMS & CFS - recently diagnosed. I'm still waiting for my pain meds to be sorted, but I agree with the previous post, young doctors will have had some training or experience with FMS, older ones can be 'it's all in your mind' school of thought. Can you ask to be referred to a pain clinic?

Regards

JB
Jivebunnie
UKFM Member

Postby Eve123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks so much for this support. Glad I have found this forum. Don't feel quite so alone.
Eve123
UKFM Newbie

Postby Eve123 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 am

When I saw gp on Monday, I had already made a link to the menopause - because of the timing - I was asking her whether HRT might make a difference. I read elsewhere on the site that menopause can be a trigger - but I am guessing perhaps that doesn't mean you can alleviate it by tackling the menopause itself? Gp seemed ambivalent - risks etc - and apparently in the uk HRT is only recommended for maximum 5 years. Am I clutching at straws here?

Funnily enough, it has been a strange year because in about October I had to see an opthamologist because I seemed to have problems seeing in the dark - in just one eye - came and went - a scan and glaucoma test showed nothing - and the opthamologist was very dismissive - said it wasn't possible for vision to fluctuate in the way i described. I already have mild optic atrophy - which has never been a big deal - still isn't - as it just means I can't drive.

Much better night last night! Maybe coz I am starting to find answers and support. I was so shattered.
Eve123
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am

Eve did u ask your dr about fibro. do u have pain in the points oh the body that are a sign, elbows kness back of neck ect.worth making notes as said in pp.my dr in his 50s yet he knows more about fibro then the younge ones .guess your lucky with a dr or not.dont be shy to say to her look i think i have this. i had to try 3 diffrent dr till this one helped me.and i have had this over ten years about only found out what it was 3 years ago.pls dont be scared it wont change a thing.and theres a lot of us to your not alone xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello