[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibromyamgia pain management course

Fibromyamgia pain management course

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyamgia pain management course

Postby lolabolla » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am

Hi peeps

Just had to mention the course that I was fortunate to attend here in Doncaster.

It's a new pain management course that is being trialed just for us Fibro patients.

The course was held every Friday morning 9-12am for six weeks in the hydro department of Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

On every alternate week we did either hydro excercises or tai chi with a half relaxation session at the end of every class.

We had tea breaks where we were encouraged to chat among ourselves and swap experiences of how fibro affects us.

The course also covered how we could manage our pain with breathing techniques with a bit of CBT thrown in too and a little homework to practice when we were at home.

We also discussed the various medications and herbal medications that could be beneficial too.

It was supervised my Kathleen and Maria, two of the physios who had undertaken special training to be able to take the classes.

The course has now sadly come to and end but rather than the usual NHS ' that's it, you're on your own now' mentality. We will all be meeting up for a further session in 3 months time, then in 6 months time then in 12 months time.

I can honestly say it's done me a power of good, yes I'm still in pain, but using the techniques I have been taught I can reduce the severity a little.

As a group we mixed so well that we have formed our own fibro group where we will be meeting once or twice a month and we will also contact each other for help and support by email or over the phone.

Our first meeting was just last week when we went out for lovely lunch and a good natter.

I just wanted to say that we all felt that the course has been very beneficial for us and how good it is to feel 'believed' that Fibro is real.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyamgia pain management course

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 pm

So glad to hear of your course, I have been lucky to attend a "managing your chronic condition "course run by a local charity but funded by government. We are coming to the end of the six weeks and I will be sorry to see our little bunch disband. a couple fo us are thinking of maybe trying to see if folk would like to meet say once a month to just share stories and generally get out & about .Will see what happens and let you know.

Like you I have discovered a lot about myself and how I was or wasn't coping with my difficulties. One of the things that I will take from it is setting goals.....as I'm not working and often woke up feeling awful I tended to get washed and dressed later & later if at all on some days. then due to the course I set a task to get washed and dressed by 10.30 on 4/7 days . It means that on days I feel really bad I can give myself a litle extra time while on others I can at least aim for the 10.30 deadline. I found it a struggle at first but have now almost got it as a habit and have to say it has helped me do other things as well . I just set them as a goal and see how well I achieve them .

Its a pity there isn't more of these course for everyone who is suffering a chronic condition, the exercise, meditation & coping skills you learn might help people get off some of the high power drugs we take . one like your that is geared to FM is the icing on the cake but even a general one would benefit most people.

Good luck with you 3 month reunion.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Nice to hear that the course has helped you and given you some tools to use, hope it continues and that the next few meet ups will help to keep your focus :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi Lola

The course sounds wonderful such a positive story to read. When I used to have Bowen Therapy the lady taught me about breathing techniques and how to calm the body down and I too find that it does work wonders especially if I am struggling to sleep with the pain and my brain refusing to shut off lol.

Keep us posted of how things go, but I'm so glad you have had a positive experience with this.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby sweetie pie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Have just read your msg re pain clinic lolabolla so very positive,i am on waiting list so it was very nice to read your msg,thanks so can look at it positive now :-D :-D
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 am

I am in Canada and have attended a few pain clinics that taught pain management. It would be wonderful if everyone with fibro had the opportunity to attend at least one. I am glad you all enjoyed your classes and most of all benefited from them.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 am

I must confess that although it is beneficial to practice the breathing tecnniques and meditation I find it difficult to practice what I preach.

It's difficult to 'unlearn' learned bad practices.

I'm finding it difficult to find the 'me time' that's required to practice what I have been taught.

That's our problem though isn't it, we have all been 'doers' for years, we find it hard to step back and take better care of ourselves.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I did a chronic pain management course prior to getting my diagnosis. Most of the other classmates were FMS sufferers. The course focused on a CBT type treatment. It had limited effect on my pain and I found it difficult to accept my pain, I still want to fight it. It is great that some member are getting positive experiences from these type of courses. x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi I've only recently been diagnosed and am struggling with what the condition involves How do you get yourself on one of these courses as I need all the help I can get

Sarah

:cry:
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon May 27, 2013 2:39 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Sometime there are other sources such as charities. I attended a managing your chronic condition course and while it didn't seem as hands on as the specific FM course featured it did help get my head around a few things and give me the inspiration to try new activities to help with the pain etc. It was run by the local Arthritis UK after they received funding from the Health Department for the region.

I sourced it through the local community paper.
Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Otter65 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Thank I will look and see what if anything is available in my area as my GP wasn't very helpful when I asked just said the was about a six month waiting list for the pain management clinic and you had to be in chRonic pain for a year before he would even refer me

:shock:

Sarah
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi I found an online course though NHS website run by Expert Patients. Programme not sure how helpful it will be but its a 6 week course so I'm going to give it a go

Xx
Otter65
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services