Do any of you have to use a walking stick and mobility scoot

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Do any of you have to use a walking stick and mobility s

Postby Lizzyear » Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Thank you guys so much for all your replies!! I'm sorry most of you have to use these things, but I was wondering if I was over reacting by using them, or lazy! As the fighter in me says 'soldier on', but I know that is not right, as this ends up taking me days to recover. I'm trying to listen to my body..........but it's a new skill to learn!
I had to go on a three hour car journey and then a return the next day........it's taken me over two weeks to recover and I'm still not back to my 'normal'. So frustrating!! :pull-hair: :too-upset:
Once again, thank you. Your communication has bought me much comfort.
Hope you all have a good evening and not in too much pain.
Gentle and grateful hugs :hugs:
Lizzyear
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby Melissa » Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I use crutches to help with steadiness and wobbly legs. Been using them for several years. Sometimes I use two canes. I have a rolling walker but don't use it much-too bulky. My crutches are very light weight and easy to get around with. I don't put a lot of weight on them so it doesn't hurt my arms. Whether I use canes or crutches, I always use two since both legs are weak. The canes are mainly for around the house and the crutches are for going out. I've never considered a scooter,since pain is not the main problem. I'm afraid my legs would just get weaker. I'm only in my 20's and try to lead as normal a life as possible. I try to walk at least a mile each day if the weather permits. It keeps me from gaining weight which would only make things worse.
Melissa
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:22 am

Dear Denys, sorry I have not seen your response till now. Yes, indeed, people cannot possibly understand what its like to have to move in a wheelchair or a disability scooter, and the subsequent pain one gets with our very weak, painful muscles. One outing can take days to get over. Any jolting or jarring is awful, and the kerbs present a problem, and most certainly the raised knobs at junctions which are done for the blind. We know they are necessary, but oh! the shaking one gets! Then with a wheelchair, one gets knocked about trying to get through doors etc. Oh to be able to walk!! sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I have a cane I use sometimes. I also have used a walker. I have hiking sticks that along with a cane are always in the truck.

If or when it comes to a time I need to use an aid to enjoy life I will. I really don't care what other people think if they see me out with it. I have had the looks the comments. I am enjoying life the best way at the time and I do not have to justify why I use an aid to anyone. Now mind you, it has looked rather funny, my hubby giving me a piggyback because I just can't take another step and he the poor man with arm braces on.

If anyone needs help, don't be embarrassed or ashamed. If you really are concerned about what others think, what would you rather have them think......Look at that person, using anything he/she can to enjoy life. That person really wants to live.

or.....Look at that poor sole, just sitting there, watching the world pass by, missing out on so much. If they would only ask for or use help from something, life would be so more enjoyable for them.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia