Diet

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diet

Postby janlou » Sun May 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi has anyone on here got any advice on dieting, since I have been ill and not worked for over a yr I have put loads of weight on.. Cant do much excerise only do some stretching and I cant walk very far.. I think I am in a rut, coz of Fibro really getting me down, my life has changed so much more or less over nite!!!!

Dont do much other than sit at home, I get tired very quickly, really am trying to lose weight eat more fruit and veg,but it does get boring. I just wish I had my life I use to have. :(
janlou
UKFM Member

Re: Diet

Postby latmaz » Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm

not advice as such but all i can do is tell u my story. at my worst i was 19 stone in 2002 i went down to approx 10.5stone with atkins. since my activity has decreased in the last couple of years i have gained a bit but still sit at approx 11.5stone. i am 5ft6 by the way

funnily enough i was just reading the helpsheets on fibro which do say avoid sugar, carbs etc which of course is what u do on atkins and any other lowcarb diet. when i first started i didnt do any exercise at all but i still lost weight and lost it quickly. i only ever said to myself i will just lose a stone and when i had oh well maybe i will try for another stone. thinking of losing 8 of them was too scary a thought!!!

please dont dismiss atkins because u have heard all the bad press about it, read up on it and make an informed decision as to whether it is right for u. it isnt all red meat i promise u, its lost of veggies and lots of salads, yes u dont eat potatoes, rice, sugar, pasta and other starches but u do eat lots of fresh, non proceessed foods

if u want more help or info then do ask me but i dont want to preach at u cos i am sure thats the last thing u need

big hugs and trust me u can do it, if not lowcarb then another way.
x
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby janlou » Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you for your advice, I dont eat much red meat, I am trying to stick with chicken and fish, veg and salads....although I do like biscuits and chocolate I am only having them at the weekend as a treat.

:-)
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 pm

problem is those little treats are our downfalls (and trust me i know!) could u not try and change your treats to something else and at least have dark chocolate instead of the sugar filled milk. u can get lowcarb biscuits etc if u want to go that route

good luck
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Latmaz.......congratulations on your hard work and commitment!

Janlou.......
Cutting out a lot of your carbs really does help. Remember though, we do need a few of the good carbs to
keep our body healthy.

I have noticed that changing to gluten free breads and meats have helped a lot. Our butcher makes the
best gluten free sausage....yummy!

I try to walk as much as I can. When I do I take my cane with me I get wobbly after a bit and my back
gets sore, so I lean on it.

I think most of us with fibro, have a weight issue. We either gain or drop in weight but it always fluctuates.

Good luck!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby janlou » Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Yes I have tried gluten free foods, and I will cut out all the bad ones, 2day has been a nightmare really in alot of pain and very tearful :cry:
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 am

aww jan sorry u having a bad day, would u be able to manage swimming?

where i go they have a jacuzzi which is bliss to sit in and helps relax my aches before i get in the pool. its a private hotel pool so its much warmer than usual which also helps

whoami thanks :) not sure my commitment is what it was but i am determined not to go back to 19stone!!!
latmaz
UKFM Member

Return to Weight Issues