[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Feet hurt so much

Feet hurt so much

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Feet hurt so much

Postby lynsey198 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:39 am

Hi, I was diagnosed with fibro last year and since then my symptoms have got worse particularly my legs and feet.

I have read that usually your body is stiff and sore more in the mornings but my symptoms get worse as the day goes on. In the mornings, apart from feeling tired because I sleep badly and zombie like, my arms and legs may sometimes be a bit stiff but they are not usually that sore. During the day they get worse and worse and in the evenings my hands, arms, legs and feet ache and hurt. My feet hurt so much it is untrue. Last night I sat and cried because I felt so rough and my feet hurt so much and that really is not like me. I know I have a high pain threshold.

I often go to bed early because of it but then the pain stops be getting to sleep. Does anyone else have this?

It doesn't matter if I take it easy all day, do some moderate exercise (I walk my dog most days) or a fair bit of exercise, the pain in the evening is unbearable. My hands hurt as well and I have trouble holding anything - cup, book etc. I love reading but can't hold a book as it hurts too much.

I have a headache almost every day and often a migraine which sees me in bed for at least a day and usually being sick with it.

I don't really feel that my GP is sympathetic. I know lots of people have far worse illnesses , some of which are life threatening but this is limiting things I can do and causing me upset. I am on Naproxen but it does absolutely nothing
lynsey198
UKFM Newbie

Re: Feet hurt so much

Postby shazq » Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum Lynsey :wave:

Sorry to hear you are suffering. :( Have you another gp in your surgery who you could see? Having a good gp makes a big difference.

How long have you been taking Naproxen? if you feel they are not working then you need to go back to your gp and ask for something else.

Most docs will start us off on Amitriptyline because it helps with pain and sleep and in higher doses it also helps with depression.
You should also ask to get started on some pain meds to get your pain under control, sometimes it can take a while to find the right med to suit you and it might even take a combo of meds to get your pain under control but dont give up. Here is a link off some meds to treat fibro, you could go through it with your gp.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

It is normal for you to get more tired and sore as the day goes on, try to pace yourself, get as much rest as you can in between doing things, learn to listen to your body, if it needs to rest then have a rest to recharge your batteries.

Things like hot baths, hot water bottles, Tens machines can help with pain as can finding ways to relax.

We have lots of info and support on here so have a look around and any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby JRMT » Fri May 31, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Linsey198,

Sorry to hear you hurt so much, it's not easy getting through the day sometimes.

I've had tension and migraine headaches for nearly 15 years, every day, and its hard trying to function when your heads splitting.
I get sore feet too, I always loved my Saturday shopping, not always buying anything but always enjoying lunch out, I could be there for the shops opening and still there when they closed, now I want to come home after an hour as my feet are sore, but I find lying back in a bath with Radox bubbles up to my neck eases the pain, especially if I'm have a day when I'm sore all over.

People don't understand how much pain you can be in because its not something they can see, I find a lot of people haven't even heard of fm,
so that's why this forum is so important, everyone knows where you're coming from.

Take care and keep your chin up :-)
JRMT
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 pm

:welcome: to the family Lynsey :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: The things you have read about FM symptoms are usually a generalised view of how the condition can affect people. In FibroLand we are all affected very differently, even tho we share a range of symptoms, which can add to the frustration the condition causes us :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

With you saying how bad your feet feel, have you considered that there could be something else at work as well as FM?? If you can find a more understanding GP at your surgery, it might be something worth mentioning as there could be meds or treatment that could help things.

I was going to make some similar suggestions about things that Shaz has already mentioned. The only other thought I can add is, whilst you're trying to find a more helpful GP and you find that you need to see your current one, trying a different approach can sometime bring out a better response from them. If you have a look at the linky Shaz has given you and make a few notes about some of the meds mentioned, explaining to your GP that you have been looking into meds etc and are aware that the ones you have made notes about can be used to try and manage FM, so you're wondering which of them might be suitable for you to try, you may find it could be the start of you getting some more effective treatment and help.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Lynsey and :welcome: to the forum :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lynsey198 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I went to see a different GP last Friday and he seemed a bit more sympathetic. My husband came with me and told the Dr that I have been crying with the pains in my legs and particularly me feet and that is not like me at all. The Dr seems to think it is fibro and has put me on Pramipexole. At the moment it is making me so sleepy I can't really function at all during the day and keep nodding off!

He has also given me Tramadol if the pain gets really bad but the Pharmacist warned me that tramadol can have bad side effects including seizures so that has made me scared of taking it.

Apart from feeling like a zombie because I feel so tired and, as normal, I have a headache, today so far is actually quite a good day for me. I managed to walk my dog for an hour, just walking slowly - just hope I don't pay for it later.

The other think I find now is that I always seem to be cold. I used to never feel the cold, never wear jumpers, gloves, scarves etc but now even on a warm day I feel cold. Yesterday was warm and sunny and when me and my husband went out everyone was in shorts and T shirts, my husband had a T shirt on but I had a T shirt with a thin jumper over and then a fleece!!
lynsey198
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Lyndsey

:welcome: to the forum.

I too suffer really badly with my legs and feet. Even if I have done nothing all day my feet can feel like I've ran 2 marathons back to back :yikes:

I use hot water bottles when I am lying down and rest my feet on them. I also use a foot spa that has a massage function which is a Godsend for me - I use it 3-4 times a week just before I get into bed.

I'm on Tramadol at the moment - I know side affects can be quite scary so understandable in feeling like you do towards them. They are strong painkillers and when I first started on them they just made me really nauseous all the time, so I had to eat a few biscuits before each dosage. After a few weeks this stopped. It's not the same for everyone so if you really are worried about taking them then mention it to your GP. You don't have to take something if you don't want to, just wanted to give you my experience on them.

Take care

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Lynsey......I can feel your pain in your words. It is very hard when your feet hurt, I can relate. Lynsey, don't compare yourself to people with other illnesses. Your pain like everyone else's is your own. Other peoples illnesses may sound or look worse but they could be in less pain than you or more. Pain level is personal, we are all different. Someone could have the exact same break in their legs and one person may say their pain is a 4 and the other person a 9.

Lynsey, i also get painful feet. A hot soak in epsom salts helps. I also have 2 different creams that help a bit, they are rather smelly though. They are Voltaren and the other Arnica.. I also have OA and one place it is, is in my feet.

Lynsey, have you been to a pain clinic? Also a sleep study might help. It seems that if we can get a good deep sleep, it sometimes can help with the pain level. I have sleep apnea but there are also other sleep disorders that can be helped.

Good luck and I hope things get sorted for you.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Lizzyear » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:47 am

Hi Lynsey, :welcome:
Sorry to hear how you are suffering.
I do have terrible pains in my feet! Drives me insane :banghead:
I take meds that I was warned could give seizures if stopped suddenly, scared the life out of me!! :shock: But in the end was so desperate I decided to give them ago, (I was very resistant to the idea at first!), but they have helped a bit. My feet are the Bain of my life, but I walk around at home, but if I have a long walk, I use a mobility scooter, it's changed my life!! ( was resistant to that too!). Like you I get more and more tired during the day, so if I have nothing on,I take a rest for a couple of hours in the :cup1: afternoon, then back o work. I am lucky, I run my own business on line, so adapt my ours accordingly. It is very successful, and has actually been a lifeline to me, as it makes me feel I am still useful :-D :-D , I sit at the computer most of the time, while others pack p the orders and do production.i just oversee it,
I think with fibro, you just have to learn to pec yourself, (not very good at that myself, still a learning curve). When friends or family say, oh we had better do something else, as lizzyrandall/mum will find it difficult or painful, y reply is, I can still do ost things, might just ave to adapt the way I do it. Sometimes I knowingly do something that I know I will pay for pain wizened later, but it's a conscious decision, as I say i know the fallout, but sometimes it is just worth it!!
Try to keep positive, you will learn to listen to your body and adapt things slightly. It's a continual learning curve and challenge. I hope you have good family and friends around ou, that definitely helps! Ad this forum is a godsend, especially when timesare tough, we all understand here . Good luck :flowers: :goodluck1:
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby Janeden » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Lynsey,

I'm new to the site to. I have FM for the past year & a bit & I've been taking Tramadol & Amitriptyline in this time only & night & has worked until recently pain is coming back. So doctor has given me a new drug to take instead of the other two. I had chronic pain in both my feet. My left was worse then the other. My doctor ref me to ultrasound where they told me I had plantar Fasciitis (inflammation of arch of feet) I was given exercises for them by physio which did not work! I was then ref to have steroid injection guided by ultrasound to which they then told me that the inflammation had got so bad my arch had torn :( but since having injection I'm happy to say all pain has gone (yes I'm touching wood & with fingers crossed as its early days). I've noticed that all FM sufferers have different symptoms my mum has FM & we think my sister does too :(
Janeden
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello