better when holidaying abroad?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

better when holidaying abroad?

Postby relf1960 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:44 pm

ive gone on holiday twice this year, once to tunisia n once to ibiza. i know the heat is ment to help joints etc, n i know the suns vitamin d is supposed to make us feel better, but i feel almost like a diff person. i sweat like a pig at home in england even when its cold. on hols it has to b especially hot to make me sweat. on hols i had trouble getting up n down stairs, also getting off sunbeds, out of chairs, off beds, walking etc. was all awkward, but its only a third of the pain i have at home. i did have to have lots of rests n sleeps, but the fatigue vanishes, is it the atmosphere??. as soon as i got home yday it was bed time. today i ache like a pig, which is expected from the journey as it took its toll first couple days that side too, but the fatigue has returned really badly. its still warm here, but not as hot as there. surely my fatigue should be worse that end. i was stressed on arriving at this hol due to stuff going on at home before i left, which slowly did luckily improve while away. its a mystery to me. any advise?
relf1960
UKFM Member

Re: better when holidaying abroad?

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am

Iv not been able to go abroad but i was thinking that possibly when your on your holidays you become relaxed as well which helps and the sun is more of a dry heat not a clammy sticky sweaty heat we have here so it is possible they may make you feel different?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby ouchiemama » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Hiya, sorry no advice.. but I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks % am kinda worried as to what it will be like!

The past few days here have been lovely but I have been in agony still & a lot more fatigued!

I am taking my 3 kids age 12, 10 & 5 & my mum.

Im interested to see any replies to this thread as Im worried as to how my body will react, as you said I am hoping it will be good for fibro but last few days of sun are anything to go by.. :yikes:

xxx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby mililly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I thought the sun would also help but no chance..i had trouble with everything from getting dressed to getting on and off sunbed. The travel from home and back was awful. Palma airport is huge and a long walk everywhere. I didnt have this when i booked my holiday so just thought as you do that sun would help.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:30 pm

i find i am much better on holiday. i think its not just the heat its the drier atmosphere, even in the summer england is still damp (especially the last couple years!!!)

a couple days away and i can move much easier, still find sunbeds difficult but i can walk further and a bit easier

mililly i always book assistance so i dont have the walks at the airports, makes things much easier and not so stressful

am off to majorca for 4 nights soon and i cannot wait!!
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 am

hi, i too booked airport assistance. they supply the chair if u not got one.its a free service and a shortcut for all in your party.hope its a restful holiday youve booked n not a busy one. sleep when u need it n make the most of it when u can. x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I always feel better on holidays as well....at least the ones back home to Yorkshire. It is strange because when it rains here I am in agony before and after. The weather in UK suits me better than here.....I can'tt handle the humidity when hot and when it is cold it is real. I always look and feel ten years younger
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I think im still in the early stages and still trying to get medication right. Found patches really awkward on holiday kept falling off and did lose two. Hoping in next few weeks to find out more and hopefully will enjoy my next holiday.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Mililly......I wear Fentanyl patches. I had trouble at the beginning of wearing them almost 8 years now.what drug is in your patches?

Make sure you wash the place patch is going...no creams, talc, sun lotion

If you happen to get lotion on top they will come off

When you put them on (my hubby does mine) press on them for 30 seconds to secure.

Very hot water will remove them, especially if your back is rubbing on tub.(my bath is a soaker, deep)

Do not use any kind of tape, a plaster etc to cover patch and make it stick. It effects the way theh work.

Millilly, have your Dr or pharmacist give you a different brand name, manufacturer of your prescription. I finally found a brand of Fentanyl that sticks on me.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi

Thank you, yes been back today and i have different patches now i only changed from mst tablets to patches the week before i went away,. Maybe the wrong thing to do at the time. Im feeling a bit better now so hopefully they will kick in a bit more. Im back at rheumatologist next week for a diagnosis.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38 pm

What patches did you get can I ask?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:30 am

Hi
Im on fentanyl 50g patches the box says mezolar matrix.
mililly
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia