Growing stuff.

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Growing stuff.

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Just wondering if anybody else partakes in this hobby?
I thought we could start a grower's blog and keep track of progress.

I started last year with some pepper seeds, grew them but as it was late in the season I rushed them and killed them through over feeding as I tried to rush their development.
This year I bought a heated propagator and some chilli and pepper seeds. I was originially planning to have two batches. One germinated in february (start of season) and one at the end in April to hopefully give a bigger and longer crop time. But I've now bought some seeds for flowers, some perenials so can hopefully get some more flowers for the parents garden for less than it would cost in shops! Some I've sowed today.
I've also bought a Weigela for £1.99 and a blueberry bush also for £1.99 which I'm nurturing and growing in pots. Five mins a couple of times a week and a lot of enjoyment and pride! No effort for some hopefully tasty and good looking rewards.

If your into the whole chilli scene this is what I'm growing:
Explosive Ember- beautiful fruits that start off purple.
Summer of Fire- only one has germinated though,like above with the purple but smaller and although decorative they're also edible.
Ring of Fire - none showing yet but only planted on the 17th, and where free anyway
Curry- Not curry as in what makes a curry sauce but named as it was developed for the Indian market as an easy to grow variety of chilli.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Re: Growing stuff.

Postby denys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 pm

There are a few members who have said they have an interest in gardening Russ, I'm moving your post into craft as its fr hobbies of all varieties and you should get more hits in there :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolabolla » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:19 pm

I have never been much of a gardener untill I was off work for almost a year in 2010 with a parathyroid tumour. For most of that year I took great pleasure in growing tomato's, peppers, cucumbers, potato's and a few salads and beetroot. I grew everthing in pots as we only have a tiled patio and the front garden in paved. I also grew some lovely flowers and hanging baskets which looked and smelled lovely. During the summer months we also had a bumble bee hive in the shed and we would spend hours in the garden watching them busying away.
Following surgery I returned back to work in October 2010, I was unable to continue growing things as my levels of fatigue just escalated and the housework started to deteriorate too.
I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to take ill health retirement shortly but I will be able to focus on the garden and a spot of housework. I have already started to imagine how lovely my garden will look like this year and this just cheers me up no end.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Lola sorry to hear, and glad to hear you like and enjoy your gardening.
I think I'm going after flowers as my desk looks out into the garden, and all I'm seeing just now is brown, empty borders and patchy grass. It's not that pretty! I would love a bee hive, fresh honey! Tasty! But saying that I would love chickens, a greenhouse and rest of the self sufficent garden stuff!
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 pm

I have always loved gardening, and up till a couple of years ago I had two greenhouses and two allotments. I grew garlic and shallots, runner and kidney beans potatoes including a delicious variety called pink fir apple. I had a wildlife garden and a pond and never used chemicals of any type. What distressed me was that my children would hardly touch the food I grew.... their reason? They had seen the manure pile!
I used to deliver a lot of my veg to pensioners I had got to know, it caused a lot of hilarity when they saw a variety of squash called trombonchino, google it and you will see why lol. :oops:

I also grew a lot of soft fruit, but that hardly ever survived the trip home, far too tasty :-D

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/ ... age056.jpg

heres a pic of my old garden, I ran out of space, but not enthusiasm :-)
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

Wow that is packed!
I would also love a veg patch and to grow various stuff, but I admit I'm really fussy with what I eat and don't eat that much veg anyway!
You could say potatos= chips but then to prepare them for that to me currently feels like a lot of effort!
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby PulchraPuella » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm trying some container gardening right now. It's something that is a bit lower maintenance than a big vegetable patch. I've unfortunately got a bit of a black thumb, but I'm going to give it a good go! I've got some strawberries in a big pot, some garlic, some spinach, chives and I've started some sweet peppers. I like the idea of being able to produce something and I have some very fond memories of gardening with my dad and mom when I was a kid. We had a huge vegetable patch that had beans, pumpkins, carrots, tomatoes, squash and a variety of other yummy food. Trying to get a bit of that with my son while we're in a rental :-)
PulchraPuella
UKFM Member

Postby grannygreenwitch » Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 pm

:-) I loved gardening & although not overly good at it, I used to spend hours on my garden, but now Fibro has forced me to stop. At first I was heart broken as I watched the plants die & the weeds take over, but thanks to my enthusiastic PA (odd job woman/saviour) I've begun again, but differently. I've had most of my lawns covered with bark & decking for ease, but because I missed 'growing', I've started using containers for allsorts. Apart from the usual tomatoes & strawberries, I'm growing peppers, courgette & french beans & even mini carrots. Also potatoes in bags (easy-peasy) I've also adapted my front flower bed to become my herb garden, as it's easier to manage. Mind you, I still manage to grow some HUGE weeds!!! :yikes:
My one labour intensive thing that I haven't been able to give up yet are my summer hanging baskets, I love to see them, but last year I didn't look after them well enough -too tiring, so this year may be the last -who knows?
I suppose the moral of the story is that disability doesn't mean the end of life , you just need to adapt to your circumstances.
Happy Growing :fingerscrossed:
grannygreenwitch
UKFM Newbie

Postby EnglishGent » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi
I love the idea of growing my own fruit and veg. Especially with the price of food going sky high. I have an average size garden that is all concrete. I managed to grow some tomatoes in grow bags but by the end of summer they were all green. Determined not to let them go to waste I now have green chutney coming out of my ears. I am looking to grow as much as possible next year with the limited space I have. I just hope I don't grow anymore green tomatoes :-)
EnglishGent
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Son No2 came home in the summer with about 5 differnet types of chilli he had got for £1 (they needed a lot of TLC) They survived quite well on the kitchen window sill and he got quite a good crop which he proceeded to put in everything he made. Just one problem I tend to have a reaction to chilli and my mouth swells up , so there was all this food being made and I just had to look on.
it did however prove that you can grow things anywhere!!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby mtmburtonwid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi I have some veggie pots on the go now. Too painful to do much physio since I changed my meds :?:
Tomatoes, beans, cucumber and green peppers (or red of I keep them on the plant long enough. Oh and lettuce I picked up from OH at the hospital. The head OH nurse just cant see the joke when she says 'I'm just going to wet my lettuce' :lol:
Everything is growing and toms flowering. Just moved this plant outside as the conservatory was getting toooo hot. Wish me luck and maybe I'll be moving onto fruit trees. Anyone have any of these?
mtmburtonwid
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 am

Gardening is what keeps me sane
.....Before I got fibro my vegetable garden was one and a half acres. My flower garden was well ....big!
My garden now is mainly flowers with a few pots of veggies and herbs. I try to go out every day in it. I work for maybe only 15 minutes then lie down. Sometimes I have been known to lie on the grass while either pulling weeds or repotting.
Now my garden is not the English gardens I see back home but it is as close as I can manage right now.

I am not sure how to post a picture or I would put some on. I have a flower called Evening primrose. They look a lot like scrawny dandelions, LOL The flower starts as a pod then on a night about 8 they slowly break open, ever so slowly the flower unfolds into something like a hibiscus only smaller and yellow. In the morning when the sun is on it the flower dies and another opens at night.

I also have a cactus that survives -32C weather and blooms wonderfully.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Craft