Upset :(

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Upset :(

Postby chookie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I have just had to let some long term teaching opportunities know that I can't help them this year as I have just been diagnosed with M.E this month. I am only 37 years of age and I feel like.... well you know :cry: I feel so lucky to have has the opportunity of having 2 separate careers but I have had to let one of them go for now. It's all a bit like buses.....
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Upset :(

Postby Graciebaby » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,
I also have a diagnosis of ME and Fibro.
I lost my teaching job due to long term sickness (there was just no prospect of me being well enough to ever return to my teaching role)
This happened after I got my ME diagnosis. I was determined to carry on teaching and did so, until I completely collapsed.

It was a year after losing my job that I was given my Fibro diagnosis. I could not work with just the ME, never mind FM as well. It's just asking too much of your body to try to do so I'm afraid. I was devastated at losing my career, but eventually you do adjust and learn to accept.......mind you, if someone had said that to me a few weeks or months after losing my job, I would never have believed them!!

I would like to offer you some sage and wonderful advice about managing your ME, but I'm pretty rubbish at it and tend to regularly boom and bust! Please feel free to message me however if you think I can help in any way regarding your ME.

I am sorry that you have this to deal with and also that it has such an impact on your career options, I hope it might help you to know that I've been there and I do understand.

Take good care,

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear what has happened with the teaching opportunities chookie :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Altho it isn't what you were wanting to do, at times we have to make these decisions for the good of ourselves and our health :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

When something like this happens, altho it is always :( :( :( :( :( :( :( sometimes it can lead to other options and possibilities that may not have been considered or accessible before, yet could turn out to be one of those amazing things in life that don't come along very often :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I was dx'd with CFS/ME last year and attended a series of one~to~one sessions over a number of months which helped me find out more about the condition in general, as well as how I am affected by it, what my capabilities and limits are with it along with my other conditions and problems being allowed for. I've also learnt strategies to help me manage and cope with things more effectively and now have in a place a series of things that are helping me with very, very gradually improving my activity levels and general lifestyle. It might be worth seeing if there is something similar available in your area if you are having any worries or problems with this latest dx as, quite often, the earlier something can be dealt with, the better the chances are for things not spiralling out of your control.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Aww sorry to hear that chookie :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby chookie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank for your replies... you know how it feels, bitter sweet. I do feel a weight off my shoulders though, it's not all bad, I can breathe and give myself room to grow I think. Hmmm, you have helped already :-D
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Special hugs Chookie , its hard to let go of plans you have made and dwelt on for a long time . Here's hoping that something good comes out of your retirment even if it is so much earlier than expected !

Also listen to your body and when it says rest its not messing you around , you will definatly need the rest. otherwise you fall into what m y friend calls the sunburn effect....you don't know you have over done things until it is too late you can't do anything. Ditto with sunburn (you are red raw before you know it !)

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia