Make-up, deodorant, shower gel etc. - allergy or not?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Make-up, deodorant, shower gel etc. - allergy or not?

Postby Karou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:07 am

Hi all,

A few days ago I was using a cosmetic wipe to get rid of my bb cream. The cream is from simple and the wipe was a Sainsbury's own with aloe vera . I've noticed that suddenly my face felt very dry, slightly burning and went red .

I washed it and applied moisturiser. I only use simple or sanex these days because my skin is soooo sensitive buy I'd run out and thought aloe can't be that bad.

I'm now wondering if there could be a connection between Fibro and allergies I don't even know of because they only give very little symptoms? What if I'm making myself worse by eating or using things my body doesn't tolerate too well?

Let me know what you think please.

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Make-up, deodorant, shower gel etc. - allergy or not?

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 am

i cant use anything but simple under arm deodorent , and i can only find it in one shop grrrrr been sainburys they do everything but that. yet my daughther cant go near simple baby bath ,i cant go near hair remover,ive always had dry skin , maybe its the pills maybe its just bad luck lol
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:44 am

Hi Karou,

I'm typing in response to the post you put on here about "Aloe Vera" i have been suffering in from fibro i think for years but only recently diagnosed with fibro.

When i saw your post about "aloe Vera" i thought to myself my god somebody with the skin like mine..

1--- Can't use anything thats got aloe vera in eg tissues, make-up,
2--- Can't use any brand soap eg imperial leather, pears, can only use SIMPLE
3----Can't use any other brand washing powder apart from DAZ original
3----Can't buy jeans that has the metal studs because they are nickel and i'm allergic to NICKEL
4--- Can't use bubble bath any type because i just itch all over
5----Can only use use sure deodorant COTTON FRESH
6--- Can't take ibuprofen makes me itch
7--- Can't wear wooly jumpers cos they make me itch
8--- Can't use Fairy washing up liquid so i have to use eucalyptus ones only
9--- the only fabric softener i can use is aldis own brand.

So i do know where youre coming from and i do sympathize with you and how you feel.

Love

Karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 am

DEfinatly also down to our sensitivies also.

I remember years ago arranging to stay with a fibro friend. There one ask of me was not to use hairspray... a girl without her hairspray ! :yikes: :lol: :lol: as there reacted badly to it. They were also very chemical sensitive.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 pm

This is something I have suffered with since being very young :shock: :shock: :shock: Soap, liquid hand washes, shower gels, bubble baths, washing liquids/powders and conditioners, you name it, and I'll have probably tried it and reacted to it at some point over the years :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

A fairly minor reaction for me is coming out in hives, others have included causing thrush and skin flaking, and in some cases, peeling off. Once I find something that suits me, I tend to keep using it until either I can't get hold of it any more, or the recipe is changed and something in it starts the whole reactions thing off again :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Nope, I'm the opposite - hardly allergic to anything skin wise and if anything my mild asthma has almost disappeared (haven't touched an inhaler in months) and my hay fever this year was non-existent.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:58 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:Nope, I'm the opposite - hardly allergic to anything skin wise and if anything my mild asthma has almost disappeared (haven't touched an inhaler in months) and my hay fever this year was non-existent.

Would you like to swap for a bit??
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:41 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:Would you like to swap for a bit??
Erm, let me think about that......nope!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

I seem to be getting more sensitive to things all the time. Aloe bothers me also.

If out shopping I have to stay away from these departments or my face will be beet red and very hot to the touch, burning on my side.....candle, make-up, perfume, paint, garden (my fav hobby too!), insecticide, carpets, to name a few.

Lately when I enter a hospital the same thing. I don't know if it is because I have had numerous surgeries (over 20), I smell the anesthetic when I enter.

We were having dinner at our local pub when I got all red, hot and burning. We knew it wasn't the food. Finally we figured out what it was....the napkins/serviettes. They were cloth and to me they smelled like varsol, paint thinners. When I used it whatever they used to wash/clean them with obviously bothered me. Everyone else said they smelled normal and had no reaction.

Whatever is going on it has gotten worse.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby BonnGayle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm

IM sensative to almost everything but I find I can rotate things a few months on a few months off ..although I cannot tolerate....
-jasmine, at least in hair products
-nickle
-most soap powders tolerable is persil non bio
-fabric conditioner
-anything wool , inclusive of mohair and cashmere
-any hair product made by garnier, maybe its the fruit stuff they put in it
-clearasil
-most things by body shop, in the olden days i could use it all not now though
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

There goes the plan of being weird. :-P :crazy: Nah just kidding, it's good to know I'm not alone with this but I wish that sometimes I wasn't so sensitive. Whenever I see a nice looking perfume advertised I know I shouldn't even think about it. The only one I can use (on hair only) us the very first one made by mexx and that is extremely hard to get.

SchroedingersCat (interesting choice of name, I like it) I envy you! Can I borrow some of your hidden ability to kick irritating things back to where they came from?

I almost forgot about wool, even the thought if it makes me want to hide. I've had this since I was very young and my mum always made me wear the things or soak them in hair conditioner over night thinking it would help. Same with jeans. Well...until I was itching all over and looked like I had chicken pox.

Ah the fun package we get. Reminds me of Forest Gump. Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Somehow it seems to be the same with Fibro. :-|
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia