[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline

Postby 19butler-2008 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm

hi im 23 been back to doctors today and the up my naproxen to 500mg and added new tablet called Amitriptyline never taken before and i have 2 young childern and im single parent so question is what it like taking this drug when you have young childern will i able to wake during night if my youngest woke :-?
19butler-2008
UKFM Newbie

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby Sioriwish » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello there! I'm around the same age as you, I'm 20. I got put on Amitriptyline when I was 18 for about 3 month. It was the worst drug I've ever been on. It felt like I was in hibernation throughout the entire time I was on it. It made me that dizzy and sleepy it was horrible. I didn't feel like doing anything, I didn't even eat sometimes because of how drowsy it made me.

Now I don't have kids, but I'm guessing that if you feel like the above, it won't be good whilst looking after children.

Other people may of reacted to it differently, but that's just my experience with Amitriptyline. If you have a reaction like that, I suggest talking to your Dr straight away and getting off it.
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi I'm on amitriptyline and I work and have a daughter although she is twelve now. I still somtimes have to get up in the night if she has a nightmare. I only take 10mg and I fine it really helps me sleep and helps pain. I also had acupuncture which really helped my pain. Hope this helps :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Denbev » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 pm

hi ive been on it for a long time+initially you may feel the effects are strong but they get less as your body gets used to it,i have 2 young children+can hear if my children need me in night but try taking it bout 8-9pm so that your not too drowsy in the morning,hope this helps :-D
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby beckstar127 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I have been on these for quite a while i take 75mg at night....i do end up with dry mouth and i have gained weight while being on them. I tend to nap through the day due to them.
Im 29 qnd have two young boys...

Gentle Hugs xx
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Amitriptyline is often used in managing FM as it can help with sleep and pain issues. It is an older style anti~depressant that, like a number of other meds, has been found to have other properties that can help with other symptoms and problems. It needs about a month to fully get into your system and take effect, so you may not feel any benefits at first.

As with all meds, there are side effects which may or may not affect you, and in varying degrees. However these do usually tend to start to ease off after a week or so. One of the side effects Amitriptyline is notorious for is morning~after grogginess/zombification. To what extent someone is affected all depends on the individual, but for those who find it difficult to manage, there are ways to try and reduce it's impact. In a good number of people who experience the zombification, changing the time at which they take their amis can make a huge difference. For some, taking it a couple of hours before they go to bed helps. For others, taking it 12 hours before they will be getting up is what makes the difference to them. And in some cases, taking them around late afternoon is the way to go.

It's a case of giving the amis a good go and to see if they are suitable for you. For some they are really affective, whilst others find that they are completely unsuitable for them.

Hopefully you'll find them helpful and they will make that much~wanted difference to things for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JoJo01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm on 100mg a day. I find it helps me sleep but I can wake easily if I need to. You will have a dry mouth in the morning but that's the only side effect that I have noticed.
JoJo01
UKFM Newbie

Postby Auds » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Hiya, I have been on this for a couple of years, helps me sleep but do feel a bit groggy in the morning and have a very dry mouth. Certainly would recommend it for insomnia tho... good luck :)
Auds
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tunes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi. I WAS on amatriptyline 10mg but it made me feel like a zombie for a long time it does help you sleep it certainly does that but that was it. Didnt touch my pain at all and i was on it for 3 years. I was also takin Naproxen as well supposed to help wiv pain but that didnt help at all either. In fact both made me feel ten times worse so i came off both of them and dont take any medication at all now. Didnt see the point wen it didnt help at all. Sorry this probably doesnt help. Its jus my personal experience. I still suffer alot with fm but feel human which is a bonus. Hope you feel better soon hun. X
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby Ashton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi
I was given amitripyline.took three days to pluck up the courage to take it was worried how it would affect me.taken it for a week now been on ten mg it has helped with sleep but it doesn't knock me out so can hear if children wake.does make me groggy in the morning .so have been taking it at 7pm.
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby olwynam1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:32 pm

I was originally put on Amitriptyline but it didn't have any effect on me at all!! I am now on Tramadol slow release capsules 200mg twice a day and although I'm not completely pain free it's better than anything else I've ever tried so far. I think its a case of trial and error until you find something suitable for YOU. We're all different metabolically? (sorry if that's the wrong word - bit of fibro fog creeping in there!!) :oops:
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby geo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm

I've been taking Amitriptyline the past 2 weeks, started on 10mg and I'm now on 30mg. It seems to take a bit of the pain away but It completely knocks me out. I sleep like a baby but I can barely get out of bed in the morning, and all day it makes doing the little tasks so hard. I literally have no strength at all!
geo
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 pm

I have just been taken off of this as I was not feeling any benefit, although I was only on 20mg. It hasn't helped at all with the pain or sleep, usually up until gone midnight and awake on and off all night then feel zonked all day. now going to start Pregabalin. I think it all depends on the individual on what works.
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby hullabaloo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:15 am

I'm on 20mg at the moment. I sleep for around 3-4 hours solid before I then wake up a few times the rest of the night. I've been on 20mg for around 3 weeks now. I am usually a really light sleeper but I'm finding nothing has been waking me up during those hours I'm sleeping solidly (my husband has been late to bed the last few nights and hasn't woke me up coming in). However, I have been absolutely exhausted this week and feel I've run myself into the ground a bit so that is probably contributing too!

I'm meant to up my dosage until I am sleeping for 7hours through the night but I'm considering coming off it. It does nothing for the pain and I think it has made my fatigue worse. I can't stay awake past 10pm at night (I seem to have a 2 hour window after i take it before I need to :sleep: ). This means I have a limited social life! To be honest I think I was coping better without it! I've come on here today to have a look and see what other options I have before I go back to the dr to discuss this. I know it must help a lot of people but I don't think it's a nice drug at all and if I had a young one to look after I wouldn't want to be taking it (please bear in mind this is my personal opinion).
hullabaloo
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:41 am

An alternative to Amitriptyline is Nortriptyline. It is a sister med to amis, so works in the same way and on the same sort of things, ie. pain and sleep issues when used for FM. Compared to amis tho, it is said to have fewer side effects and be better tolerated.

If amitriptyline seems to becoming ineffective, the zombification won't improve, or other side effects are still difficult to manage with, this tends to be the next one tried if suitable, and may be worth asking about swapping on to.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication