[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Had my first rhemoutologist appointment....bit confused

Had my first rhemoutologist appointment....bit confused

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Had my first rhemoutologist appointment....bit confused

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi after waiting nearly 3 months for appointment the dr confirmed I had fibromyalgia.
He asked what medication I was on and asked if I felt they helped I said I've been in granadilla for a long time (due to past back problems) and felt that they didn't help I was also taking ibrufen and paracetamol and told me to stop the medication an to ask for pregablin
However I'm a bit concerned that if I stop the pain killers that the pain would be a lot worse any suggestions??
He also complained about my weight (I am very much so overweight which I am fully aware off!!) but gave me no suggestions of this and said to exercise more but wen I do this I am worse the next day and can't go to work!!! He said nothing else about c in him again is this normal!! I have pain clinic on Monday and not sure what to expect!
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Re: Had my first rhemoutologist appointment....bit confused

Postby denys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes the rhuematologist often discharges you back to the docs care if he thinks there is nothing more he can do for you, pain clinics tend to have a number of different health professionals working together to help, they may include a psychiatrist, counsellors, physiotherapists and nurses

Try to involve yourself in all the things offered as at least you can say you gave it all a try even if parts of it dont help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get some good bits out of it that help you cope
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Having the rheumy complain about weight, then be discharged back into the care of my GP was what happened to me as well. I think it all depends on the rheumy and how they interpret what is in your files as to whether you are given another appt, sent for additional tests etc, or discharged back to your GP.

Wrt to the meds changes the rheumy has suggested, go and talk to your GP about them and see what they think about them suitability wise etc. Make some notes about worries you may have, things you want to know about, whether you can take other meds alongside it to help manage pain levels, and get as much info as you can before stopping any of your current ones. Pregabalin does help a good number of FMers, and may do so for you, should you give it a go, just try to keep your mind as open as you can about it.

As Denys has said, the Pain Clinic should be able to give you access to other treatments and approaches to try and help manage things a little more. I had my assessment back in September, and the things I'm giving a go are acupuncture, physio, pain management program, and a review of meds if needed. I was also asked to think of a goal that I would like to work towards, which might be something to consider doing in case you are asked to do something similar.

Try not to worry too much about your appt, which I know is far, far easier said than done, and keep your as open as possible to things that they suggest, as you never know what could prove helpful to you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you! Yes I will discuss with my doctor when I see him! Let's hope the pain clinic goes better tomorrow :-)
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services