Neck problems

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Neck problems

Postby Jo the cat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi again, I was just wonderig if anyone out there has a similar neck problem to me. A years ago I was having huge problems with my neck & an x-ray showed spondylosis.I had physio plus my usual painkillers & as long as I did the exercises it was manageable.This was before I knew I had fibro, recently it has flare up badly with the addition of horrible clunky sounds. I've had crunching sounds before but this is different. I went to my GP who recommended x-ray & physio again which is great. Results of x-ray show my neck is normal so spondylosis must have gone ( can it?) luckily my physio appointment has come through for next week which I need as I'm in so much pain. It's really getting me down & tablets just take the edge off the pain. I don't want to take really strong pain relief as I work full time with a 40min drive & codeine etc makes me drowsy. so, if anyone else has this i would be intersted to hear what could help. As for the x-ray showing clear (which is good) that only shows skeletal issues so does anyone think I should ask for MRI as unless it is the fibro it could be discs, muscle etc? As well as pain it's stiff, tender etc. If it's fibro I find that so depressing as I'm scared it won't go & that ( apart from the pain) is a horrible thought as everything I do is limited. I try to be active but this is,apart from walking for exercise, limiting.
All the best to you all out there. :-?
Jo the cat
UKFM Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Neck problems

Postby denys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi Jo I have split your post off the 'where to say hello' topic and have created its own for you, this is simply a better place for it and also it might get over looked where it was.

A lot of members have neck problems so if you put 'neck problems' in the search facility I'm sure you will find some answers while waiting for others to reply to you :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
User avatar
denys
UKFM Veteran
 
Posts: 11901
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Neck problems

Postby Jo the cat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 am

denys wrote:Hi Jo I have split your post off the 'where to say hello' topic and have created its own for you, this is simply a better place for it and also it might get over looked where it was.

A lot of members have neck problems so if you put 'neck problems' in the search facility I'm sure you will find some answers while waiting for others to reply to you :-D :-D :-D :-D

Hi Denys, Thank you for this! Appreciate it. :-D
Jo the cat
UKFM Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Neck problems

Postby tonydin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:42 am

hi jo yes i have the same as you comes and gos now like most fib o pains that keep moving around
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: Neck problems

Postby zappa20 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 am

I'd give the physio a try first and see if it helps first. An MRI will usually show if a nerve is trapped but your GP will have listened to your symptoms and made an initial decision that an MRI isn't needed at the moment. Even with trapped nerves etc, and severe muscle strains often the first thing they do is offer physio, along with other things like applying heat and cold. If things don't improve go back to your GP and he can refer you to an orthopaedic consultant, could be even your physio might be able to refer you to an Ortho depending on her level.

Wondered also if during your 40 minute drive or at other times you're subconsciously tensing your shoulders , maybe due to busy traffic to deal with stress etc. I know when I had Fibro I was doing this all the time without even realising, as well as clenching my jaw. At one point my neck and shoulders were so painful and tight, my head felt too heavy for my neck to support.Mad but true. If subconscious muscle tensing is a possibility , doing the gentle neck stretching exercises suggested by your fibro team and reminding yourself to keep relaxing them may help a bit before you even get to the physio.

Best Wishes
zappa20
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 am

Re: Neck problems

Postby Jo the cat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:45 pm

zappa20 wrote:I'd give the physio a try first and see if it helps first. An MRI will usually show if a nerve is trapped but your GP will have listened to your symptoms and made an initial decision that an MRI isn't needed at the moment. Even with trapped nerves etc, and severe muscle strains often the first thing they do is offer physio, along with other things like applying heat and cold. If things don't improve go back to your GP and he can refer you to an orthopaedic consultant, could be even your physio might be able to refer you to an Ortho depending on her level.

Wondered also if during your 40 minute drive or at other times you're subconsciously tensing your shoulders , maybe due to busy traffic to deal with stress etc. I know when I had Fibro I was doing this all the time without even realising, as well as clenching my jaw. At one point my neck and shoulders were so painful and tight, my head felt too heavy for my neck to support.Mad but true. If subconscious muscle tensing is a possibility , doing the gentle neck stretching exercises suggested by your fibro team and reminding yourself to keep relaxing them may help a bit before you even get to the physio.

Best Wishes

Hi, Thank you for that & yes, I do tense my neck as I'm aware ( when I think about it ) that my shoulders are ' up' too high & I do jaw clench. I'm not a relaxed person naturally & have to work at it. I'm one of lifes worriers & take on everyone else's to try & solve, not because i'm a matyr, I just do! I like to solve problems so maybe I store it in my neck. Solution sounds easy but we all know it's not. I appreciate your thoughtful comments, thank you. First physio tomorow. As for my GP, who is very kind, she didn't look at my neck or listen really.I told her it clunked & she just sent me for x-ray. Thankfully she did suggest physio.You mention a fibro team, I don't have any support like that at all. I had the diagnosis & a printed generic sheet & sent away from the consultant & goodbye. I have found info & this site myself, so thank goodness for online support as I have no other & just get on with it, some days fine & some not.

Very best wishes
Jo the cat
UKFM Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Neck problems

Postby zappa20 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:15 am

Was only through reading posts on this site recently I realised not all areas seem to offer this service which is damnable as the courses can be helpful. Our hosp Rheumatoligist ran a Fibro outpatient clinic staffed by specially trained Fibro nurses, along the lines of diabetic nurse led clinics. The course runs for 6 weeks and covers Introduction to Fibro, Fibro Pain Management, Stretching Excercises , Posture, Conditioning and during that time you got individual physio exercises and even a loan of a large bouncy ball to work with at home.

I couldn't do the course because I was getting heart surgey , so the fibro nurse gave me a copy of the set of overheads eg bullet point notes and exercises with diagrams she uses on her course. Imagine the actual course would go into more detail but I found the sheets informative and helpful.

I've just emailed a copy of some of them, ie Stretching Exercises, Pain Management and Introduction to Fibro, to Fluppy Puffy one of the site moderators, in case they might be of help to anyone. If they're ok, as they're from 5 years ago, and legible (my PC skills are rubbish) think she is very kindly going to put them on the site somewhere, and I'll scan and send the last 2 sections for her.

Hope your physio gives some relief meantime, Fibro's a horrible condition to have while holding down a full time stressful job, especially with a 40 minute drive each way as well. Roads are over busy these days. Around here if it's not the traffic jams, traffic lights because of yet agin someone's digging up the road again , it's the numerous potholes to remember to avoid every day.

Best Wishes
zappa20
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 am

Re: Neck problems

Postby Jo the cat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:31 pm

zappa20 wrote:Was only through reading posts on this site recently I realised not all areas seem to offer this service which is damnable as the courses can be helpful. Our hosp Rheumatoligist ran a Fibro outpatient clinic staffed by specially trained Fibro nurses, along the lines of diabetic nurse led clinics. The course runs for 6 weeks and covers Introduction to Fibro, Fibro Pain Management, Stretching Excercises , Posture, Conditioning and during that time you got individual physio exercises and even a loan of a large bouncy ball to work with at home.

I couldn't do the course because I was getting heart surgey , so the fibro nurse gave me a copy of the set of overheads eg bullet point notes and exercises with diagrams she uses on her course. Imagine the actual course would go into more detail but I found the sheets informative and helpful.

I've just emailed a copy of some of them, ie Stretching Exercises, Pain Management and Introduction to Fibro, to Fluppy Puffy one of the site moderators, in case they might be of help to anyone. If they're ok, as they're from 5 years ago, and legible (my PC skills are rubbish) think she is very kindly going to put them on the site somewhere, and I'll scan and send the last 2 sections for her.

Hope your physio gives some relief meantime, Fibro's a horrible condition to have while holding down a full time stressful job, especially with a 40 minute drive each way as well. Roads are over busy these days. Around here if it's not the traffic jams, traffic lights because of yet agin someone's digging up the road again , it's the numerous potholes to remember to avoid every day.

Best Wishes

Hi again, thank you for that very supportive post & I will look out for those sheets you have emailed. Had a whole hour with a lovely, kind physio in the village where I live ( at the surgery) much better than going to a hospital. She took very comprehensive notes & saw the x-ray report which although it says normal there is arthritis/spondylosis there but at my age (54) is normal ! I am to continue the exercises & she stretched my neck which was weird so, all in all I remain hopeful of some relief albeit maybe temporary. She did say that the fibro was the reason for the stiffness & the related shoudler pain, it's a mine field .............
All the best to you & thank you for the replies.I will post again as to whether the physio has helped but I advise anyone who has very painful areas to ask for some as it's helped me in the past.
Jo the cat
UKFM Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:52 pm


Return to Associated and Other Health Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest