Information On NHS Physiotherapy

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Information On NHS Physiotherapy

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Having Fibromyalgia one of the main referals apart from the Rhumatologist is a Physiotherapist.

I myself have been through many NHS physio appointments.

You may find each area / hospital may be slightly different in there assessments but the main things a physio will do is :-

: Ask about your history and any other health conditions

: Write a list of all symptoms at present and how they effect your life

: Put down any medications you maybe on and write down what other ways of pain relief you try or have had and tried

: Check your reflexes

: Talk to you about diet and exercise

: Feel your body to where the stiffness and pain is

: Check your posture

: Look at the mobility in your joints by asking you to try and twist/turn/bend

: Stretching exercises

: Maybe offer you some hydrotherapy / accupunture

: Sometimes they may do some massage

My physio department at my hospital run a 6 week course on stretching exercises and general well being. There could be more on offer it depends on your hospital so ask them what else they may do.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Information On NHS Physiotherapy

Postby fletch » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Very similar at Mansfield's Kings Mill hospital but its a 8 week course I'm on my third week tomorrow
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm

I am also at Mansfield kings mill, I had acupuncture by one of the physio s there it really helped. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I too have been through many appointments with physio. Unfortunately they didn't want to do anything to me except take details. I was always in so much pain all over that they couldn't and wouldn't touch me. They did send me to Hydrothearapy that was helpful to strengthen my legs etc. again it was only for six weeks. I might try and get them to let me have another course of it. No-one touched me there which was nice for a change. By the way....I am an fibromyalgia and Pollymyalgia suffer so know how everyone is suffering.

Gentle gentle hugs. X
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:15 pm

Actually my physio asked - where's the pain?
Me: everywhere
physio: yes but where does it radiate from?
Me: everywhere
physio: but there must be one place?
me: not really!
physio: oh!

That was that.

Although after a fall down stairs they did get me stood up right and walking again.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 am

I have had horrendous experiences from physio. I won't go again after my last experience.

So, my neck is in excruciating pain. Mri showed a straightening of my neck. I have fm. The physio then says well its your posture, straighten your shoulders and do the exercises and it will improve.

Go back and he says he can't do anything, there is nothing wrong with me. I begged him to help me. He said just strap it up.
I asked how do I do this. He said are you really that stupid just strap it over your shoulder.
I walked out in tears and reported him.

Will never go back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby Colegg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 am

I had a physio went to numerous appointments and no matter how much pain it was causing she wanted to try and get me walking normally again it got that bad I asked repeatedly no matter what you do don't touch my feet as what your doing is making pain worse week in week out in end I refused not to go I was traveling 14 mile for around 15 mins that caused more pain I don't think so I am sure there are some good physics out there but I am not being put through unnecessary pain for no one
Colegg
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication