[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Alcohol

Alcohol

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Alcohol

Postby ru.campbell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 am

Has anyone else noticed that alcohol is probably the best pain control available for FM.

The only problem is I can't think of a job other than wine taster where I could be drinking all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -
ru.campbell
UKFM Member

Re: Alcohol

Postby hippychick » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 am

Wish I could agree with ya mate....BOY how I WISH :crazy: Especially since being told on Monday that there's no alternative pain meds available for me except for bog standard white smarties, (aka paracetamol), used in conjunction with double my dose of Nortriptyline coz all of the other options available are all equally as addictive as my previous tablets :scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1:

But speaking personally, the occasions I have resorted to the bottle, I can honestly it has done nothing except make certain fibro symptoms worse, such as the insomnia, shaking limbs, leg and feet cramps and restless legs :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Still if it helps you, good on ya. I'll just have to remain envious of your managing to kick the fibro into touch with the help of alcofrol, so good luck with that jobsearch for wine taster :lol: Maybe you could find another couple of jobs to back up your wine tasting, just so you don't get gout too early like ohhh......beer taster? And your liver would be positively marvellous....for the pathology students to ogle over upon your demise from scirrhosis eh? ;-)

Just remember....everything in moderation :tongueout: :twodrinking2:

I know you're only joshing natch, but for anybody thinking of taking you seriously....that way lies hell :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Sorry, sounding like a wet blanket, caught me on bad night coz in addition to the blessed insomnia still being suffered since codeine withdrawal, we've also got bl**dy ROAD WORKS going on the other side of the trees outside our house and this is the 2nd night in a row they've caused ME probs.....hubby's oblivious coz he's hearing impaired! Road works start at 9pm for gawds sake and go on until silly o'clock.....it's just...soooooooo LOUD and BOOM BOOMY! :shock:

AND.....didn't get any kip the night before they started on the roadworks etiher coz our puppy took poorly and was upchucking throughout the night on Tuesday. It's no wonder I'm a bit wound up, sorry peeps.......I just want....... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Gentle hugglies one 'an all.
hippychick
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm finding the opposite. I hardly drink these days as I find it leaves me exhausted for days after so it only tends to be once every 12 weeks I'll have a bottle of wine and even less often I'll go crazy on alcohol also I find with the meds it makes me feel really unwell now. There is something I use along side my meds meaning I finally get to go to bed with no pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:38 am

I am with you Helen. Alcohol , even the light wine doesn't agree with me anymore. Even if I didn't get severe pain and vomiting blood with it, I am sure the Fentanyl would object!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm

I've gone from being able to drink a neat triple Jack Daniels down in one to now struggling with even a small glass of wine, so it is now just once in a while where I am able to enjoy an odd glass of something, and even that needs to have something soft added to it for me to be able to finish it off.

I would say that it makes me a cheap date now, but considering how much soft drinks cost, it probably now means I'm much more expensive, which goes well with the high maintenance I need these days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby smila » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

It doesn't work for me, as I'm finding when I do drink alcohol I'm struggling for days on end.. I've got to the point where I'd rather not drink, but it doesn't feel any different from the way I feel... Drink or no drink [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
smila
UKFM Newbie

Postby KAREN WESTLEY » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm

:( yeah have to agree , i've gone from kaz the party animal to kaz the tea-totaler lol. Now and again really fancy a few drinks but often after the first glass of wine really don't fancy anymore and if i force myself end up going to bed feeling like i have had a good night on the town yuk! :crazy:

BooBoo
KAREN WESTLEY
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 am

As I said earlier I don't drink I never was a big drinker maybe a glass of wine a week, LOL

I will tell you this though. I can certainly understand anyone in thinking that alcohol might take the pain away. Quite a few years ago, about 17, the pain was so bad I saw black. I always laughed when someone said that they had pain so bad they saw black, until it happened to me.

I was alone, hubby at work. I was in so much pain. I had already taken about 8 oxycontin that day and it hadn't touched it. With the fibro I was also recovering from a head injury and fracture in the neck. I could not move my head.

I just wanted to be knocked out. I literally went with hands on the wall finding my way to the kitchen . I got there and found a bottle of what? I couldn't see. It smelled awful. Anyway I grabbed that bottle hard and chuggged until I didn't know anymore.

Hubby came home and found me on the floor. As I told my Dr, I didn't want to die only be knocked out to have some peace, no pain.

I hope nobody gets as desperate as I was that afternoon. It was pain beyond anything I have experienced to this day.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Leannellie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping