[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gastric band surgery

Gastric band surgery

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gastric band surgery

Postby sam4johnny » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I am seriously considering getting a gastric band fitted next month. I have gained 7 stone since my diagnoses in the last 2 years of Bipolar, Fibro and sciatica caused by all the meds i'm on. Anyway like I said I want the band but my partner and mum are telling me with my health I shouldn't do it (I also have adhesions inside caused by my C-sections that cause extreme pain). I really wanna just go ahead but wondered what everyone else thinks. Surely losing weight will help my hips (I have SPD too) and legs and back from Sciatica and will enable me to exercise. Will my fibro mean i'll be in extreme pain after? Has anyone else had one? How did it turn out? What do you all think about me going ahead without the consent of my nearest and dearest?
Mummy to two boys, 4 & 7, FM & Bipolar AND full-time undergraduate student! I must be MAD!!

Everything happens for a reason - just don't know the reason I'm so ill!! :(
sam4johnny
UKFM Member

Re: Gastric band surgery

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm

There have been a couple of mentions of bariatric surgery, one of which is a very, very recent mention. If you try using the Search box in the top right corner of the page, it should throw up any and all references about it.

Talking to your GP about NHS eligibility might be something to consider doing. The other option would be having it done privately. Contacting some private clinics in areas you are able to reach would give you an idea of the potential costs involved, what the procedure itself involves etc.

When it comes to having it done privately, you want someone who will go thru all the possibilities and details with you, be they Good, Bad or Ugly, and maybe even send you to see a counsellor to ensure that this is definitely the right thing for you before a final decision is made. If you come across someone saying that it is definitely the best thing for you without going thru all the possibilities, be very wary.

When it comes to any type of surgery, it can aggravate FM, which in turn may have an effect on the rate of recovery, as to how much tho, that depends on the individual.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Weight Issues