[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Postby paulfoel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:01 am

Following on from some of my other posts, beginning to wonder if doctor has got this right, so heres the full story.

Wife was very ill with asthma whilst pregnant (hospitalised a few times). Amongst other things she was prescribed steroids which she took for a few months.

Baby arrived and she was weaned off steroids. Which is when the problems began.

Swollen joints, general aching, tiredness etc. so she went to see GP. Got referral and paid for private consultant appt.
Had x-rays, blood tests, etc and he diagnosed probable reactive arthritis. Reckoned it could have been being masked by the steroids and flared up as steroids stopped.

Did see same guy via NHS shortly afterwards and he confirmed inflamation markers were up. But he didnt have baseline so couldnt tell if this was high or not.

LAst appt with consultant was 2 months ago. This time inflamation markers were a bit lower. But problems still exist for wife as before. this time he said its deffo not reactive arthritis because its gone on so long, so it must be fibro.

Hes said to keep taking painkillers (she takes naproxen and co-codamol) and take steroids again since its helped in the past.

All sounds a bit weird and contractictory to his diagonosis of fibro.....
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Postby denys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Paul you seem to be asking the same question's in a round about way, we cannot possibly say whether or not your wife's consultant has made the right diagnosis or not. If you arent sure or confident about it then ask for a second opinion. You seem to be getting hung up on the inflammation markers and this could be a secondary problem.

I really think your wife needs to go back to her GP and talk things through with them
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Your wife should be entitled to a 2nd opinion if she has concerns about the dx she has been given. Talking things thru with her GP might help allay some of these concerns, as well as putting things into action for another referral/2nd opinion.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Very difficault to say.

I will mention a few things that may help.

Fibro can be triggered by birth, mine was and many other iv spoken to over many years have also.

It may be that shes suffering from withdrawl symptoms from the steroids

Fibros main symptom is severe muscle stiffness with active trigger points (lots of muscle knots around the body) restrictive and limited movement from stiffness eg neck/back.

On top of this theres tender points (areas of pain when touched) you can search tender points and trigger points in the search bar above.

Then come all the other symptoms like poor sleep, chronic fatigue and so forth.

hope that little bit may help.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby paulfoel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks all.

Interesting to note that it can be triggered by birth though.
In terms of steroids, she originally took for, I'd say 4 months, but now hasnt taken any for over 7-8 months. Withdrawal last this long?

But yes shes planning to visit GP again next week. But, as I'm sure you all experience, things move slowly in the NHS :-(
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:53 am

If the steroids wasnt reduced down at a slow rate over a period of time then yes possibly as withdrawl symptoms are very simular to your wifes symptoms.

Everyone is different and i know of a few people who was very ill coming off steroids for many months. Im no GP but reading what you put possibly could still be to do with steroids. Maybe keep and open mind to this.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby paulfoel » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am

Update

Had blood tests a week ago. They've come back as normal. Been on steroids for the week - didn;t make too much difference.
Looks like it might well be fibro now.

GP has prescribed anti-depressants also. For general mood but I think also for fibro - citalopram. Is it all ADs that help fibro or just some?

Waiting for next appt at hospital but its still some way off. Its all a bit of a shambles really. Possibly going to pay now for private appt to at least get something sorted.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 pm

There are a number of anti~ds that are being used in the management of FM. Amitriptyline tends to be one of the first ones tried, mainly to help with the sleep and pain issues. Amitriptyline is an older style anti~d, but other newer ones do seem to becoming more widely prescribed, incl citalopram, as they are finding that, as well as helping to lift low mood, they can also help with the sleep and pain issues too.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulfoel » Fri May 09, 2014 2:44 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Has the gp pressed on her trigger points? I have been seeing a rheumatologist since last year due to swelling in my knee and toes. My gp referred me very quickly and saw a rheumatologist very quickly via the nhs. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. In Jan this year I suddenly felt really really awful. Pain became unmanageable and so so bad. I saw the rheumy in Feb and listened to my symptoms. He then checked the trigger points and every one of them hurt like h*ll. He diagnosed fibro. He also checked my bloods, one included a vitamin D test. Apparently all or most fibro people are vitamin D deficient which I was in the end. I am on tramadol and ibuprofen for the pain, Amitriptyline for sleep (it's also improving my mood), vitamin D, ranitidine to protect my stomach from the affects of long term ibuprofen.

There are a few triggers for the start of fibro. I didn't know about the birth one, but stress is one which is why I think I got it. There is a lot of info all over the web xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:08 pm

I am so sorry the nhs isnt working for you both. We have used it lots and lots of times without any hassle. Perhaps it depends on where you love. I do hope things get sorted as quickly as possible xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Well, looks like deffo Fibro now. Consultant is not the best and seems to be saying 'oh well, at least you havent got any sort of arthritis'.

Wife tried amtryptilene but didnt get on with it. After two weeks, she just felt fuzzy and that was a VERY low dose. Latest is gabapentin. so far so good on that.

Just 100Mg 3x a day which I think is a pretty low dose?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:06 pm

*Lisa*

Postby carolad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services