Mobility

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mobility

Postby Beth1012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm

OK, t's been a bad week, and to be honest, I'm scared :yikes:

I know I can say things here that other people will relate to.

My fibro was diagnosed over 10 years ago & over the past 12 months the deterioration has been frightening.

My biggest fear is mobility, it's getting worse by the week because of the pain in my knees, ankles, hips, back and sciatica. (To add to the fibro I have metal plates & screws in my spine after a disc was removed.)

Exercise is sofa based (!?) and the chronic fatigue is also crippling.

Walking is a daily challenge, I can't stand up in the shower anymore, you all know the score.

Not necessarily seeking solutions just wanting to share my fear, because, I live on my own and nobody else gets it.

Last week a work colleague came out with a blinder, we were discussing use of a Disable Persons Toilet and she said "just drag your leg a bit, I'm sure you'll get away with it" ...............What can you say to that!

Wishing for you all a sunny and bright weekend. Thanks for reading my gripes :pull-hair:
Beth1012
UKFM Member

Re: Mobility

Postby whoami » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:43 am

I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time right now.

It sounds to me that you think you owe an explanation as to why you may need to use disability items and toilets etc. Hubby, you owe nobody explanations, you do not have to justify things to others.

I can see how you are scared and nervous being on your own and dealing with mobility.. Living with fibro is hard when you have someone like a spouse, I can't imagine how you feel. Can you discuss with your Dr about getting some help in regards to any aid you can get. Any help, home support, items to help you bathe and things like chairs, walkers etc.

Also emotional support is important. Your Dr should be able to help you there.

I don't understand. Was she referring to you and questioning your need to use the disabled stall? Or was she referring to how she drags her leg to justify her using it?. There is always someone who can leave you gobsmacked.

Anytime you need to come in here to get things off your chest or just have a natter with others who understand and will not judge you, just open the door and come on in. We all need someone at times. I hope that you get some relief soon. Xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Mobility

Postby Helhit » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Let's hope it was a bit of black humour, slightly misguided but maybe she was trying to cheer you up.

I regularly go out with my friends, 2 of whom are blind. On a night out they never take the dogs and rely on sticks only. They both insist on making their way to the toilets on their own, refusing any help from us and end up crashing into everything on the way. Instead of getting upset they end up creased about in laughter. They have fully come to terms with their mobility problems And i suppose what I'm trying to say is we should do too - although I do agree it's easier said than done.

Can I also say the fact that you were in work at the time to me sounds pretty fantastic considering how tired and how much pain youre in at the moment, as It's blooming hard work to keep going :clap:
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping