Weight Watchers and Fibro.

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight Watchers and Fibro.

Postby happybunny » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Hello!
Just wondering if anybody has been following the latest Weight Watchers plan whilst suffering with fibro?
The reason i am asking is simply because i have and my losses have been erratic.I had done it before my diagnosis, 3 years ago and managed to lose 3 stones but did a lot of walking etc.
Now i cant walk as much,even though i am trying really hard to ie 3 miles a day, i am clinging onto my fat in unreasonable style!
I joke but really i could sob when i get on the scales to see i have put ON 3 lbs!
My diet is good,i eat the right things and dont drink,for health reasons.BUT....... i nose dived in spectacular fashion three weeks into the diet with terrible fatigue and random pains etc,you know the routine!
I am doing the graded return to exercise as i should but MY Heavens i feel wretched ALL THE TIME!!!!
I take 75 mg of Lyrica 3x day and dosulepin 75mg at night.
What i would be keen to know is does anyone have any experience of this too,will it pass,am i doing it wrong and more importantly can anyone tell me how better i could manage it all AND lose the pounds.
Kind regards and gentle hugs,
HappyB
:-D :lol: :crazy:
happybunny
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Watchers and Fibro.

Postby Kasha » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:57 pm

I have been dieting since January :cry: I did the change for life and then went to weight watchers. I have lost 2 stone but it has been a long hard slog. I have honestly had good weeks where ive lost 5lb and then the next week put on 4lb it is SO hard to lose the weight. I am not sure if it is Fibro or just age in my case. (I am 57) they say it is harder to lose as we get older :( I've just started a very low carb (shakes) diet it is really hard, I don't know how long i will stick at it but im hoping to until my daughters wedding in August.
Hope you get on track and find what is right for you, the inability to exercise does definitely make a big difference too.
Kasha
UKFM Newbie

Postby happybunny » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm

thank you Kasha,
Your very kind reply rang a big bell with me since your weight fluctuation was exactly like mine!!!
SPOOKY!!!!!!
i will keep on trying though.Wishing you luck with your plan and hope you achieve you goals!
THANKYOU.x
happybunny
UKFM Member

Postby euryleia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I saved up and bought myself a crosstrainer that I use at home, and put an episode of something on to watch when I use it. It's not as nice as going for a walk, but it's far easier to hop on that when I feel up to it. It's also lower impact so won't hurt quite so much. Failing that, if your diet is good, then yoga is a relatively sedate way to tone up and stretch your muscles.

It's also worth bearing mind that muscle is denser than fat, so the weight you're putting on may not actually *be* fat. I got confused by that one as I was eating really well but had started walking up a really steep hill to get to the job I had at that point.

I also make an effort to not keep food in the house that I am able to eat without preparation, which helps with the sugar binges... mostly. When I'm feeling up to it I cook a lot of things and freeze it so I can just reheat it when I'm feeling rough.

Hope that helps x
euryleia
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi I am on ww. Its has bin very slow and very up and down. Pro points has been best for me and I'm nearly at goal. Think meds make it harder for us, but I definitely feel better for eating healthy and being 2 stone lighter. Keep going its worth it :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm doing WW with ProPoints. It's going well, actually, but slowly.

It's tough when I'm not well enough to get any exercise, but you can do WW without exercise and lose weight, you just get fewer points to play with.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby teddybear7 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi I've lost 39 & 1/2lb on ww filling & healthy since 6th Jan. Can't fault it. X
teddybear7
UKFM Member

Postby Lindenp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:52 am

Hi everyone, I have been a yo-yo dieter most of my adult life so I understand where you are all coming from. In recent years my weight had increased mega style. I was told by a dietitian shortly after I was diagnosed with Fibro that I wouldn't be able to lose weight if I couldn't exercise, which I can't. HOWEVER I decided that I couldn't spend the rest of my life getting heavier and heavier so I started using the advice given in a leaflet from my GP surgery "Losing weight and keeping it off" published by the sugar-bureau . I started to lose weight but it was painfully slow and like you guys very erratic. That all changed when I discovered an app for my newly acquired android tablet. Since then my weight loss has been DRAMATIC!! I have lost over 3 stone since last October and it hasn't been hard because I'm still eating all the things I like just less of them. I have lost 4.25 stone in total and am still losing every week. I can't recommend it too highly. You can find it by searching on my fitness pal. It's a Free Calorie counter. You just log what you eat everyday and it works out the calories for you so you can see where you are going wrong so that you can make informed choices. You don't feel deprived of anything so it's easy to keep going. I have also put together a list of my top 10 tips on losing weight which I would be more than happy to pass on to anyone who is interested. Keep going everyone you CAN do it! (I hope this isn't construed as advertising because it's free).

Gentle Hugs!
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby lese loo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:58 pm

hi I do ww and its been great ive lost over 3 stone in 7 months and another 2 to go I cant exercise I do propoints and have found it good as it makes me eat properly and proper times hasn't helped my fibro but I feel better mentally .
lese loo
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi Lindenp it isnt construed as advertising as its relevant to the post and to fibro so thanks for giving everyone the info and :fingerscrossed: it works for some :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I lost 3.5 stone before having my symptoms (I'm not diagnosed with anything yet!). That was on the old points scheme, and with a bit of exercise towards the end (walking and badminton). I tried propoints when it came in and found it less effective and didn't lose much.

Of course I ended up putting it all back on again over the years, and I'm now at my heaviest ever and need to lose roughly the same amount again. :roll:

Now I can barely walk for 10 minutes so exercise is pretty much out :( I do swimming when I can but even that is a struggle. I started doing propoints again last week so will join in with you all :-D
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rubes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:00 pm

I have found medication is my problem, too ill with the FM to bother.
I take Prednisolone for my muscle cramps so what do I do, my choice I take the prednisolone, oh and 13 other lots of medication!
Acceptance , is now my motto.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby happybunny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Hello Everyone!!!
so so sorry for not seeming to reply to your huge responses to my weight problems. i crashed in spectacular style whilst at work,just no strength and frightening pains in my eyeballs!!!!! :yikes: :crazy: :shock: Anyway,,, have been signed off for two weeks for rest etc,you know the drill.
Your responses are fantastic since i have been frightened isolated and very angry with the world,you have all given me a kick up the bum metaphorically speaking!!!!
i am still attending WW AND AM DOING OKAY,but not walking as much, probably was doing too much,,but i know i can!!!!!! or i used to be able to. :(
this will make you grind your teeth, i phoned the dr one lunchtime to say help i am having my first ever crash and i am scared, i was at work at the time, couldnt find anywhere to just lie down,you know what i mean? couldnt even lift my phone to my ear.Anyway, she said dont go home,keep going and DONT THINK ABOUT IT!!!
WHAAATTT?? was this real??? has any of you ever experienced this flippant attitude?
She was newly qualified,but i thought modern drs were fully up on our disease?
I expect this is going to be par for the course from now on. Doesnt make me feel very hopeful for the future i must say.
needless to say i now have another doctor, he is great,but i can tell he is looking at me to see if i am depressed or may have something he can be fully confident in treating.
Anyone have similar stories,i would appreciate your support.
big soft hugs and love to you all :-D :-D :dogchasecat1: :dogchasecat1: :dogchasecat1: :dogchasecat1: :dogchasecat1:
happybunny
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Happybunny,

Sorry to hear you had a tough experience. I think it's a bit random who does and doesn't believe in Fibro - my (elderly) GP does and is brilliant.

I've been dieting hard for 3 weeks and have lost a grand total of... ONE POUND! :roll: So gutted, my pills were making me balloon and I really thought I could lose more, but the horrible thought is if I wasn't dieting right now I'd be even heavier :nono:

How is everyone else doing?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby DianeD1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,my name is Diane ,ive had fibro for over 14yrs ,it took me 2yrs to loose 2stone4pounds ,its been hard and as you all know we cant exercise and i struggle walking, if you are trying to loose weight don't give in ,it will happen,it just takes us fibros a bit longer ,good luck xx
DianeD1
UKFM Newbie

Return to Weight Issues