Eczema

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Eczema

Postby Lindilou » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 pm

I've read a lot on here about eczema but does anyone have or know of anything that actually works for eczema problems :?:
Lindilou

Re: Eczema

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:49 pm

When my sons eczema flares up I put Oilatum in his bath and put a cream on him especially for eczema x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Theresa34 wrote:When my sons eczema flares up I put Oilatum in his bath and put a cream on him especially for eczema x

Thanks, I use a steroid cream from the doc but am going to try more natural remedies. I will be looking at trying Oilatum.
Lindilou

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Altho I don't have eczema, I do have extremely sensitive skin which has been known to peel off in rather large pieces when irritated by things. Over the years I've been prescribed and tried all sorts of creams, lotions, bath stuff, incl treatments for eczema, to try and calm it down, all with mixed results. The current stuff I'm using is from Avon and so far is giving me some of the best results I've had for a long, long time.

It's from their Skin So Soft range. I started off with the original dry oil spray as it is a very effect insect repellent {can't use the usual sort of ones as I react to them.} With it being an oil, it's a really nice moisturiser too. As I was OK with that, I started looking at other products in the range, and I'm now using the gel body wash, the bath oil and the body butter. As well as helping with stopping creatures biting and feasting on me, my skin is feeling pretty good with it all. I've been using the oil spray for about 18 months, and the rest of the range for around 8~9 months. Before this, I was using stuff from Bomb Cosmetics, which were great at first, lovely smells for the first time in years, but a slight change in what they were using and I had an awful break~out, which the Skin So Soft stuff helped settle down.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 pm

I have eczema and have tried just about every lotion/cream under the sun - including steroid cream. And none have really worked....even the steroid cream will work for a while but then the eczema comes back worse after you stop using it!

But recently, I've found two things that have really helped. The first is manuka honey - you can put it on inflamed itchy areas of eczema and it calms it right down. It is obviously very sticky but you can leave it on for 20/30 minutes and then wash off with water. I have eczema on my hands and I put the honey on the other night and left it on overnight - I put a pair of thin cotton gloves over the top to protect my bedding. The difference the next morning was amazing!

The other thing that has helped prevent eczema in the first place is a range of toiletries called MooGoo (http://www.moogooskincare.co.uk/) I have tried all sorts of products for sensitive skin but nothing has been as good as this range. I use the milk wash, moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner. I haven't had an itchy scalp since I started using it and it prevents flare ups in other places (I think my recent flare with my hands was due to using the soap at work). They are based on all natural ingredients and they are designed for people with problem skin. I know that different things work for different people but it is worth trying :) I also use coconut oil and jojoba oil as a body moisturiser because my skin is so dry. I put a layer of jojoba oil and then the MooGoo moisturiser in the morning, and in the evening I use coconut oil and the MooGoo moisturiser again. I get through a lot of moisturiser ;)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Carolad, the moogooskincare looks good but it's expensive but maybe worth it if it works - thanks.

Am going to look into the avon stuff and I've heard about coconut oil before. Thanks everyone. :-D :grouphug: :blowkiss:
Lindilou

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

The full range doesn't seem to be available from Avon at the moment, but it can be bought off eBay and Amazon quite easily, with prices being lower than Avon with some sellers.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby carolad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 pm

The power of Manuka honey!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/28399182
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Very interesting re the medicinal honey but is it available to the public yet :?:

I have bought the eczema balm and coconut oil, see how I go. If I buy too much at once I won't know which is the best.
Lindilou

Postby carolad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Lindilou wrote:Very interesting re the medicinal honey but is it available to the public yet :?:

It certainly is :) They call it 'medicinal honey' but it is just Manuka honey - available from any health food store. Do choose a high 'strength' one though - it will tell you the strength on the label. The one I use is 15 - I think you need at least 15 for it to be of benefit, but if you can afford a higher strength, so much the better :) It really is great stuff - I used it again last night on my remaining patches of eczema and they are a lot less red and 'angry' looking.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

carolad wrote:http://manukahoneyhq.com/manuka-honey-eczema-cure/

WOW well I know what's going on my shopping list, we also have a herbal shop here in Welshpool a bit like Holland & Barrett. :-D

:welldone: everyone and thanks for all your input. I'd never of known about all of this otherwise :bear-dancing:
Lindilou

Postby carolad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Lindilou wrote:
carolad wrote:http://manukahoneyhq.com/manuka-honey-eczema-cure/

WOW well I know what's going on my shopping list, we also have a herbal shop here in Welshpool a bit like Holland & Barrett. :-D

:welldone: everyone and thanks for all your input. I'd never of known about all of this otherwise :bear-dancing:

Brilliant :) Let us know how you get on :) x
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems