[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help with walking aids etc

Help with walking aids etc

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help with walking aids etc

Postby Flippy22 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Can one of you lovely people please explain to me how I go about requesting something to help me with walking. I live in a house with stairs which I sometimes cannot climb. I'm not very steady on my feet and walking causes me great pain.

I have read lots of posts on here and have seen people talk about OT and getting aids fitted around the home etc.

Please can someone explain what OT is and what help I may be able to get.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Re: Help with walking aids etc

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:07 pm

An OT is an Occupational Therapist Flippy. They are the people who will come out to see what they may be able to do/provide aids~wise that could help you get around, and live with a little more quality and independence than you may currently have.

Accessing their services tends to vary from area~to~area, with some needing a referral from a GP or other suitable person, thru to others where they work on a self~referral service.

Your GP surgery, community health~type places, local council etc should be able to direct you where you need to go to find out more about what could be available in your area.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Flippy22 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 am

Thank you so much for the reply. I will get onto it today.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:46 am

:-? If you have a little money E Bay can be a lifeline.

I don't know how other counties do it but the Cornwall Disabled Team went over all the things that they could loan/hire or I could buy and send a bloke who will install things like grabrails etc at a very low cost. There are also charities out there that will help. but I'm lucky, I can afford to buy what I need.
I realise this puts me in a better position than most.

Searching the internet has also helped enormously, especially You Tube. With my new fibro thick brain I find it easier to watch demos than read about them.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby Flippy22 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've done the referal over the phone and now have to wait for an assesment. She said I may get grab rails, a walking aid, and they will do a bathing assesment and may give me a stair lift. Fingers crossed it all works out. :-?
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby mimildred » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi

Not sure where you live, but I live in North Yorkshire and, after speaking to someone on the phone on Monday, received a call from the OT on the Tuesday, offering me an appointment on the Friday. So am hoping you get a response just as quickly! However, i was told that for mobility aids (which is just as much a concern to me as the grab rails etc) I would need to get a referral to Physiotherapy via my GP. Haven't got round to it yet, as I know it will take ages!

xx
mimildred
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services