Neck Pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Neck Pain

Postby Zelphi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:24 am

Hi, I've been suffering with Fibro for several years now, four days ago when I woke up I had severe pain on the left side of my neck, could hardly move my head without cramp like pains. I went to bed that evening but when I work again the pain was on both sides of my neck and down in my shoulders. I've had this now for four days, been taking pain killers every four hours.

Not sure if this is liked to the fibro or something else. Does anyone else suffer from this type of pain? I'm used to having pain in other areas but this is a new one on me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and gentle hugs to you all xx
Zelphi
UKFM Newbie

Re: Neck Pain

Postby iblinkin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 am

Hi Zelphi, i think i can help you with this as i myself deal with spasms all the time. What you need to do is get yourself some Magnesium and potasium as these items will become your friend. I take Neuro-Mag it's not cheap but it works and also helps with the fibro fog. Yesterday i picked up some Magnesium Chloride oil/liquid as i have had severe spasms in my ribs.. it was recomended by my Chiro.. don't know if you've had that but man is it ever horrible! So yesterday i made a solution of one ml. of mag oil to five ml distilled water and my wife rubbed it into my back and I'm moving a lot better today and she also used it as her arm has been quite painful and she was happy with the results. If you can, start eating bananas every day as they have potasium in it. These things should help you but it is a full time job to make sure our levels are good so we don't have these spasms and yes i have had it in my neck and can appreciate what you are going thru, just terrible pain. I forgot to eat my bananas for a couple of days and I'm paying for it alondue to some severe stress this week, i lost a very close friend to cancer Saturday and it hit me pretty hard.. some stressors we can't avoid.
Also caffeine and alcohol are our enemy as they dehydrate us and can cause spasms as well. If you are on a diuretic have your Dr. take you off of them as that is the worse thing fibro warriors can take as they remove important minerals from our body and that is not good and that can cause these spasms as well! Sorry for being a little long in the tooth here, just thought i could help. :-) Stay strong i care.

iblinkin
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Zelphi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:17 am

Hi Iblinkin, thank you so much for responding to my question, really appreciate you helpful tips. Fortunately I usually have a banana most days. I will make sure that I get some magnesium. Fortunately my little grandson is coming to see me tomorrow and he's always a tonic.

Many thanks :-)
Zelphi
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:43 am

I also suffer from tHis regularly and it is the fibro which causes it. I go to a chiropractor who uses acupuncture to help but it is expensive. The other thing I do is use a soft neck support when it's bad especially in bed. You can buy them cheap off eBay . Hope that helps and thinking of you
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:51 am

Have you been to the docs to get it checked out, I have had spasms in my neck that have left me completely unable to move or turn my head at all a few times and the doc usually prescribes diazapam for a very short period and they always help to loosen things up hope your grandson helped you to feel better :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby paularose » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:57 pm

I have had constant neck, shoulder and back pain for over 20 years. It's awful :(. I have limited movement in my neck and it cracks and grates and pops. I get so stiff and locked up. I have to bend over the arm of my sofa backwards to pop and loosen up my spine. I have little pain elsewhere, there are the areas where my pain is concentrated. I have no idea what my magnesium levels are like. My doctors have done very little in the way of tests since I was diagnosed just over a year ago after suffering for 25 years or more. I'm just about to have tests done to eliminate the possibility of Lupus and other autoimmune conditions. Magnesium levels isn't on the list. I hope you find something that helps you but from what I'm reading everyone is so different and symptoms vary widely. I do wonder how many of us are suffering from some other issues and lumped together under the 'fibro' umbrella as they have no other ideas or haven't tested us for all the possibilities. Good luck :)
paularose
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm

I had to climb in my passenger door to get to the drivers seat in November last year (before my fibro started) and was seeing a physio to help the pain it caused. Since the fibro started this has got much worse again, when it was nearly gone with the physio. He won't do anything more until I get a diagnosis - the last time I saw him was in June so I am gutted about this. I very often get severe pains in my neck, upper back and shoulders, my posture doesn't help I know although I have a special chair at work and my car seat adjusted so I sit properly.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia