[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - First rheumatology appointment

First rheumatology appointment

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

First rheumatology appointment

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm

I've got my first rheumatology appointment next Tuesday. I've printed off my current medication and also written out my medical history over the past few years. On another page I've written my symptoms.

Just wondered, is this too much information? I want to be sure the consultant knows what has been happening to me, but don't want to put him off by flooding him with information.

I would be very interested to know what information others took along to their first appointment.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: First rheumatology appointment

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:18 pm

I took the same as you, a potted history of my symptoms by onset date, as well as the dates and amounts of meds I had tried, and other medical issues. There was no way I could remember all of that without writing it down! Don't worry about it being too much, they'll ignore what they don't need.

Good luck!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55 pm

It always seems to be well received when I have taken stuff like that, good luck :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 pm

That sounds like a very sensible idea, wish I'd done that! The Rheumatologist I saw spent the whole appointment interrupting me and talking over me so he didn't actually find out about a lot of my issues :-x

Good luck with the appointment, hope it goes well :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you very much for all your replies.

The reason I am a little wary about this was my experience with a Gastro consultant a few years ago. When I took out my piece of paper and began to tell him I had written down my symptoms, he waved it away and told me that he would ask the questions and I was to answer them! Not a good beginning to the consultation, I felt!
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:23 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:52 pm

That's an awful approach, I agree with Carol they should listen to everything first. I find they very much have a tendency to focus on one or two symptoms that "fit" their theory, whereas I really needed to get my temp problems over as they can be atypical and therefore ignored. The real problem with them not looking at all the symptoms is they could miss something crucial and rule out possible other issues.

With my list what I did was put the symptoms in order of how bad they were, so pain was obviously at the top, as was my temp issues and my fatigue. I put the key words in bold so she didn't have to read the whole thing but those words stood out. Then when she started asking me questions I said it might be of help for her to read the main symptoms first so she had the whole picture. Which she then did :-D
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Genevieve489 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi all. Well the rheumatologist was a lovely lady, but she didn't really look at the information - apart from my medication - but I had remembered most of the important things anyway.

We talked through the various illnesses I had been diagnosed with over the past few years, e.g. IBS and laryngopharyngeal reflux, then she examined me. She finished by saying that the main pain was from the osteoarthritis and the hip bursitis, along with signs of fibromyalgia. She pressed one or two areas, which were very tender.

She put down my fatigue and flu-like aching muscles - which occur occasionally - to the side-effects of the Nortriptyline!
I tried to tell her that I take it very early in the evening so that there won't be any hangover the next day, but I don't think I convinced her. I also had an armful of blood taken. So, there we have it. I'm at least pleased that it's on my records now.

I'm booked to go to another hospital next week to have injections into my hips for the bursitis and my thumb joints for the osteoarthritis. She has also referred me to the physiotherapy department, but there is a waiting list of three months apparently.

At the moment, I'm coping with the Nortriptyline - which really helps with my poor sleep - and paracetamol, so, hopefully, when I'm free from pain in my hips and hands (maybe) things will improve even more. I'm keeping my rather painful fingers crossed, anyway. Thank you for all your replies and help.

By the way, Zia, I had my symptoms in order and also key words in bold. I left it all with her, so it's possibly been put into my file. I hope so.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Glad it went (quite) well for you! I'm sure they'll put it in your file, they have no reason not to, they did with mine anyway.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services