[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does anybody else have wierd fingernails????

Does anybody else have wierd fingernails????

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does anybody else have wierd fingernails????

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 am

Hi peeps,

So this is something I learned years ago and tucked in my stupid head. Your fingernails can be a good reflection on your overall health. As they grow out, any significant illness will show in how your nails grow. For example, I have no moons, (the bit at the bottom of the finger nail right before the cuticle). It should be a lighter patch of skin (I think), that is under the nail itself. My nails are also like a mountain range, I have so many ridges on them I feel like you can age me by counting the rings like a tree!!!!

I can still grow my finger nails to about an inch in length, (not bad for a previous chewer, unfortunately I am now a picker and the skin around my nails is bloody most days), but they are not as strong as they used to be and break all the time.

I have also noticed black lines. It almost looks like I have a splinter under the nail, but there isn't as they are 1, too far down the nail, and 2, none painful, just weird looking. They do grow out with the nail, slowly, but surely, but I don't know what they are or if they are related to health. Any thoughts? Any similar stories?

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Does anybody else have wierd fingernails????

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Mine have grown for the first time in my life since I started taking a Vit D supplement 2 years ago - they're like rocks and grow like weeds
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 pm

I have Beau's lines. My nails look like the inside of sea shells. Not as deep as they where 2 years ago but still every mm. I aked my doc what he thought they were. He looked at them and said he could see no problem with the nail bed so he had no idea, just one of those odd things. He needs to check out the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau%27s_lines
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:26 am

Queenie,
I only have the 'moons' on my thumbs. Like you, I'm a bit of a picker.

My nails don't seem to grow evenly, by that, I mean that the middle of the nail seems to grow considerably faster than the sides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eBay store: One.Stop.Warehouse

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
- Matchbox Twenty: 'Unwell'
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:31 pm

TheHud,

I went to your link and it basically told me what I knew except put a name to it. The ridges on my nails are not as deep as the ones depicted in the image though. All I know is when I try to treat myself to a well deserved manicure, the nail polish pools in the "ruts." Very annoying.

It did answer a new question for me though, I always wondered why nail polish on my toe nails, when I had them, lasted longer...they don't grow as fast!!!

Icarus....I picked at the skin so bad last night that the pain from that kept me up for longer....even my fibro meds didn't touch that one! :)

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:01 pm

I've got no moons and ridges on my nails. They grow quite well but lok awful so I keep them short. Would love to have nice nails.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:05 am

For people that pick at their nails - please be careful it doesn't lead to an infection! I don't pick or bite my nails but somehow ended up with a fingernail infection about 9 months ago. I tried everything to clear it (including 2 courses of antibiotics) and it still wouldn't clear up. Even now it isn't right :shock: It isn't as swollen and sore as it was but it is still a bit red, the nail looks different to the others and I have absolutely no cuticle. I don't know if it will ever get back to normal! If you make your fingers bleed, you will leave yourself more susceptible to such infections, so please be careful :-|
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 am

Good point Carolad...

I don't know how often this is the case (I think a fair dose of bad luck or compromised immune system is involved) but I've heard stories of folks chewing their nails to the point of infections starting which can get entrenched and head for the heart, because it's an easy pathway or something (don't know the jargon) and that is real bad news (I've been told damaged gums/inside of cheeks through chewing or brushing/flossing too hard can lead to the same too)

Like I said it probably takes a whole load of rotten luck all at once to happen but why risk it? We fibrofighters have enough grief to deal with as is right?

Take care everyone and go easy!
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:01 am

Oh dear *puts hands behind back*

I won't do it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 am

I've always been told that your finger nails are a good indication of your general health so it's no surprise mine are a mess!

I've had pitted nails for ages now, and most of them have ridges in, I also get the white streaks in them occasionally.
My nails grow in a strange square shape, not rounded and if you look at them from the fingertip you can see they curve in and out.
They often break below the white and I'm often covered in plasters to try and stop me catching them and tearing the nail bed!

I hate my nails, I really wish they were pretty and dainty rather than stubby and messy!
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:28 am

So I should have taken Undersieges' advice....I chewed the skin around one of my fingernails so deeply that I have a raging infection going on. I know it is going to hang around for a while because one of the joys I have found with fibro is healing takes forever. So trying to paint the bathroom to get rid of mold..painful, doing dishes, painful... petting dogs, painful...I am such a twit sometimes.

On another note, I have found that I am spending about every third day in bed now. I cannot even open my eyes. The poor dogs curl up with me, but I barely make it down to open the door for them to do their business...thankfully they still love me :)

xx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:12 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:02 am

Hi carolad,

I'm not taking anything for it yet. I did manage to get a little bit of fingernail out that was digging in further and the pain has reduced. I am also using an antiseptic to clean it several times a day along with wearing a band-aid at night so I don't knock it and make it worse. During the day I am letting fresh air do the healing for me. If it is still infected next week I will talk to the pharmacist about my options. :)

It was a bad night of skin chewing....some people don't understand that when you have kicked that out of the house the relationship is over!!!

Thanks for asking..xxx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems