Fibro friendly bra

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro friendly bra

Postby chipchip » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Anyone got any suggestions? Am a D cup so need something reasonably supportive and also preferably with padding for warmth!

I've tried a crop top style one with padding from the supermarket but it just rides up over the course of the day. Anything with wires or a decent band underneath press on my rib cage and when I wear them lose they brush against my skin too much which hurts again.

dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro friendly bra

Postby kristinatynan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi

I have the debenhams back smoother bra. Its larger at the back so it doesnt put any pressure anywhere and doesn't hurt under the arm. About £22 each and worth every penny. Have lace around the cup so still pretty but most importantly a full back and cup for all support and no digging in. Im an e cup and after going to every shop for a bra fitting will no longer wear another one. Hope this helps xxx
kristinatynan
UKFM Newbie

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi chipchip,

I always buy my bras from Shapely Figures (although I think they're called J.D Williams now) I'm a DD/E and have never got on with underwire bras. I think the ones I buy are called comfort tops. They are a lovely stretchy material that has the most support I've ever gotten from a non underwired bra. They come in packs of 3 and I always buy the pastel colours which is a white one a pretty pink one and a lovely blue one. They have padding in but I always take it out because I don't like padding in general. They also have wide camisole straps which I find don't put to much pressure in one thin line.
I hope this helps.

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:51 pm

im a 38g cup and discovered hotmilk maternity bras about 5 years ago there pricey at £30 a pop but have been worth every penny, not padded but i find them cosy, they also do a hotmilk for all range which i haven't tired as my local lingerie shop couldnt afford the minimum order for just one person (me) to buy now and then but they do have an online site and now my local shop has closed i will have to try that service, what i love about them is there really pretty as well as really comfy
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Kes246 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:50 am

Hi ChipChip

I had a similar problem when I first switched to these bras, but then I tried buying bigger sizes which stops them riding up. I'm D/E cup and would normally go for 10/12 in tops, so went for the same size in these, but have found going for a 14/16 or even 16/18 or extra large fits better. It is a bit of trial an error to find one that fit you best and not everybody sizes them the same, I found the Sainbury's XL is best for me. You could also try similar style in sports bras, they are a bit more supportive.
Kes246
UKFM Newbie

Postby chipchip » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will check them all out :)
dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby heather trippett » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 am

i hate that digginn in ur ribs :yikes: get it of get it off :!: i foond a nice one unwiied no padding no digging yes ladies £1 in the poundshop come in s,m,l,or xl love em love em :-P try em for yoursef get down to ur nearest pound shop xx hope this help bras bloomin kill :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:
heather trippett
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu May 12, 2016 10:02 am

I use marks and Spencer's full support bras (no underwire so), and the ahh bra (jml has a cheaper version you can get in places like boots, but I've not tried it yet). I'm dd/e size so need substantial support, but those are the ones I've found to be best. I've also found that wearing corsets can be more comfortable.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi,

I just thought about this while reading all of your suggestions, but has anyone just tried wearing sports bra's. I mean, they are designed to carry the weight of the breast, but no wires, soft materials, easy to slip over the head, or with help if needed, no clasps or tags to irritate the skin, sounds good to me. I might get a couple and report back. I am currently, due to another weight gain, 38 C, so not the worlds biggest chest :(, but I do find that the under-wire hurts, but I like the look...maybe I just have lost the time when I can try to look decent, and just go for plain, old-fashioned, comfort. I hate thinking that though...I still want to try to look human, even if I feel like a troll!!!

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri May 20, 2016 12:06 am

i gave up on sports bras when thy became over the head it was pretty difficult to get an f cup pair of melons into one and ad that point i was very fit and active pre fibro! i have no chance now with my gg monsters have never been able to wear underwired they have never been comfy and searched for years and put up with the plain white that sort of fitted from a major clothing store till my late daughter dragged me into a local lingerie shop where they introduced me to hotmilk maternity bras wow are they comfy and they are so pretty too, ok there steep at nearly £40 but the 2 i have that fit just now are now 4 years old and still going strong (at £15 each from said shop needing replaced every year its cheaper to get the expensive ones)I just need to lose a stone and hopefully will get into the first ones i bought and out grew, now the shop is shut im gutted will have to look at the online site and buy that way, or phone a shop 150 miles away that i know stock them and get them to get me my size in for next time im down that way! i prefer to be able to try before i buy after being taught how to check they fit and that even 2 the same size can fit different with only a slight change in style, this goes for any make of bra. hope you find something that works for you
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia