Weakness in hands and legs

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weakness in hands and legs

Postby reb1981 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:37 am

I am struggling with a lack of strength in my hands. I can't peel potatoes, lift full pans, hold anything that is slightly heavy in my grip. I sometimes have my legs give way too, not enough so I fall to the floor. I can't walk for more that 10 minutes without having to stop. Are these a symptom of fibro. I have no one else to ask other than go back to doctors which I don't want to do. Why is do we have no support for people with this condition. I have self referred to physio but on the second appointment was told I was being discharged because nothing could be done for me.
reb1981
UKFM Member

Re: Weakness in hands and legs

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:12 am

I find that my arms become dead weights while doing something then start to burn. I just have to stop till it settles. My legs likewise especially on an upward slope. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Debs2212 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 am

Hi, yes unfortunately I can relate to not being able to lift the smallest of things and the pain in my hands when I attempt to prep any veg peep goes off the chart. I do suffer weakness in the legs and tend to feel unstable and I have falen a few times. I've FMs over 20 yrs possibly since childhood and grew up extremely fatigued, the pain begin in my twenties after childbirth. Over the yrs the pain came n went but has been pretty constant the last four yrs, I've learned to pace myself, I flex my hands throughout the day, gently. I also stretch out my muscles on waking and throughout the day to help the muscle stiffness. I rest often and tackle jobs one at a time, they eventually get done just maybe not today.
Debs2212
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm also struggling to stand or walk for long periods. My feet burn and are really painful. Sometimes my hands are weak. It must be fibro.

Hugs
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:39 am

reb1981 wrote:Why is do we have no support for people with this condition. I have self referred to physio but on the second appointment was told I was being discharged because nothing could be done for me.

Sadly, the answer is very simple - the medics don't know what causes it, and they have so far not found any treatment that works, so the best they can do is suppress some of the symptoms with drugs.

Either you accept that, take the drugs, and wait for a cure to be found (ha ha), or you spend your life trying to find a cure or something to improve your quality of life yourself. I'm in the latter camp, so far, I can report there is very little I have found that helps.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Jull » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm

You should have someone to do the massage for you, or you can do it by yourself in order to promote nutrient circulation toward weak muscles.
Weakness in hands and legs don't allow you to stay in a position for too long.. Or you can try do Yoga or Taichi!
https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-st ... weak-legs/ This article may be helpful for you! I hope you'd get better soon :(
Jull
UKFM Member

Postby Sals » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't know any where in England that uses this treatment, my doctors certainly don't and were unable to tell me anywhere that would. So basically I'm not very helpful really but there may be hope:

http://fitlife.tv/hyperbaric-oxygen-tre ... -original/

http://medlineplus.xyz/new-hyperbaric-o ... ompletely/

Weak hands and legs seems to be part of the fibro package deal, get one get 50 other things free! ( sorry my attempt at a joke ;-) !!) Of course it's not the only cause so might be worth mentioning to your doc
Sals
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia