fibromyalgia/joint hypermobility

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibromyalgia/joint hypermobility

Postby peter bradshaw » Wed May 02, 2018 12:03 pm


I have fibromyalgia and some joint hypermobility and would like some help and advice about managing my symptoms. Is it worth asking my GP for a NHS referral to a rheumatologist or a NHS referral to a physio. I just need to know what exercises are good or bad for me, I am getting no help from my GP. I live in Leeds but don't know anything about rheumatologists or physios in the Leeds area.
peter bradshaw
UKFM Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: fibromyalgia/joint hypermobility

Postby perseus » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Peter

Yes I would ask your GP for a referral to a rheumatologist. They should be able to advise the best treatment for your specific circumstances. Physio is only one approach, and I suspect that with hypermobility you need to be particularly careful.

There's a support group in Leeds

Leeds Fibromyalgia Support Group 0844 887 2371, 11am – 5pm

Here's a list of issues you might be interested in discussing with a physio if you decide to go down that route. ... -and-fibro
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
User avatar
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: fibromyalgia/joint hypermobility

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Leeds is a great place to be, they have a chronic pain specialist team, I think they're at Chapel Allerton. Ask your GP for a referral to a rheumatologist there, and they should help you. Mine was brilliant.
UKFM Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Return to Doctors & Health Services

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests