[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Are all FM sufferers neurotics?

Are all FM sufferers neurotics?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Are all FM sufferers neurotics?

Postby Painintheneck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm

In my relentless quest for explanations and answers, I pose the seemingly harmless question: what type of person develops FM? It’s not a new question, having been asked many times by all sorts of people, most far more qualified than me to interpret any answers. Just to be clear here, I’m talking about personality types and character traits, from an affected layman’s point of view.

Reviewed and revised by the author.
Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Re: Are all FM sufferers neurotics?

Postby perseus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am

Evidence suggests that the amplification of pain in fibromyalgia occurs independently of mood or emotional processes. However, stress may be an important precipitating factor in the development of fibromyalgia. There is also strong evidence that major depression is associated with fibromyalgia although there's no proof of a causal relationship. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15880832

Neurosis is still commonly used as a diagnosis (or excuse in my view) for a range of difficult to diagnose conditions such as ME/FMS/FM. I believe from personal experience that there's substantial pressure to use psychological diagnosis for difficult to diagnose or poorly understood medical problems, because it transfers the responsibility onto the patient, and away from expensive tests and consultations.

A substantial number of patients could be genuinely suffering from various psychological conditions that have led to these illnesses, and for a smaller number they could be the sole cause, so it's not surprising to see strong associations. However, I've always thought that false diagnosis of neurosis and depression are very dangerous, not only because they might result in inappropriate treatments, but could also result in exacerbating the symptoms psychiatrists search for to verify their theories, such as feelings of frustration and hopelessness.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Painintheneck » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Reviewed and removed by the author.
Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Further to this subject, I did yet another trawl of the internet to see what sort of research is available concerning neurotic[ism] and a link with FM. I came up with this: http://www.clinexprheumatol.org/article.asp?a=11154
As with most scientific research papers, it is long and tedious to read, but the conclusion is simple and unambiguous. I don’t hold it up as a warranted, conclusive study to end the discussion – it is just one amongst many similar studies and articles which covers much of the ground I have been exploring.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:52 pm

It seems to me that a person is more likely to become neurotic as a result of having FM (or any of the other chronic difficult-to-treat conditions) and not prior to, as much of the research depressingly strives to suggest. Such illnesses wear folks down, mentally and physically, and eventually wears them away. When you’re constantly in pain, or in so much of a state of physical awkwardness and discomfort, you do check and analyse your awareness of bodily sensations relentlessly. This is a classic symptom of neuroticism.
Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 pm

You hit the nail on the head there with the *awareness of bodily sensations*

Personally this happened to me. Before fibro I was fine, never saw a doctor, never ill and never was concerned at all over my health.

Once the symptoms started kicking in I became very aware of every sensation in my body. This I explain was from the frightening symptoms. My throat felt like it was closing up, my chest was tight making me feel I couldn’t breathe, my neck and shoulders were so stiff the pain radiated around my heart...

I was in panic each and every day and this lead to severe anxiety.

Now for me this happened because I didn’t know anything about fibro or understand it, I felt out of control and scared. When I was diagnosed many years back it was the time where doctors hadn’t a clue. No one I knew had it and no one even heard of it. Was given a leaflet and discharged. There was no info, no support groups, nothing! I felt my symptoms were life threatening as they were and still are severe.

Once time went on and I started managing symptoms I realised and learnt that I was OK so to speak I became relaxed. I also had a lot of CBT sessions which helped and physio.

I was taught to re train my brain to tell it I wasn’t in danger. Now when pain hits the brain tells you your body’s in danger. When your constantly in this state of mind it’s so easy to stay in it and not be able to get out. This then heightens all your senses and you become more aware of bodily sensations....

To re train my brain took a long long time and it’s not easy!

I can control my mind now. I feel the pain, ,my brain analysis it to see if it’s a danger pain or not. Once I tell myself it’s the fibro and I’m not in danger the brain switches off it’s panic mode.

There could be others who are health conscious or have health anxiety first but for me it was triggered by the fibro.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Painintheneck » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to General Topics