esa support group and new UC claim

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

esa support group and new UC claim

Postby besidemyself » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi everyone....so moving home triggered my claim for UC and my ESA Support group claim closed. I was told, and it states clearly on dwp website, that even though its not a natural migration, I would keep my support group status carried over into the new UC claim. They really tried it on with me at the JC, I was ill after the long distance move anywhere, stressed and in pain, and anxiety up to the sky, even though it was a move I wanted, and love my new home. So I got the online UC account done with the help of my daughter, and got the JC ID appointment so far so good, until I got there. They actually told me I needed a fit note for two months while they sorted out my claim, two weeks or a month would involve requesting more...my new GP is really good, he gets the whole Fibromyalgia and Bipolar, and he was more than happy to give me the fit note but not impressed that the dwp couldn't just change over the benefit. So the fit note gets updated on the UC account, and taken in to JC for verification...all good yeh..NO...then they tell me I have to have a WCA and the questionnaire is on the way as I have made a new claim. Thank goodness my daughter had the foresight to check the procedure and spoke with an advisor. It has taken a week and several phone calls during which time I would not back down and was prepared to make an official complaint. Finally....they suddenly decide the benefit has been changed over and no new WCA is needed, I might have one early next year. They had no reply to why the fit note?..because it was more them trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Had I got the questionnaire and filled it in I would have been banjaxed. So if anyone here has to change to UC, beware of the tactics some of them use. At one point my daughter actually wrote down what the benefits advisor had told us and put I in the UC journal, telling them how to do the change over....you couldn't make it up. Am all good now just totally exhausted and in a flare up but relieved its done and dusted for now.
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Re: esa support group and new UC claim

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for the information and glad all is okay now for you.

I know that if you change housing benefit under a different council triggers the UC but not if you stay within the same one as I had been looking into moving.

I thought that if you triggered the UC migration you wouldn’t get the transition protection and end up on their new ESA payments.

Still a lot to learn so it’s good to see some information and advice.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: esa support group and new UC claim

Postby besidemyself » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Even if its due to a trigger factor, the dwp state that if the claimant is still within the wca award time, which I was, they will not need to be reassessed and will get the higher rate UC. They tried to argue it was a new claim, it wasn't, it was a hand over from esa to uc.
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits