[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Driving

Driving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Driving

Postby Itsnotinmyhead » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 pm

I drive a little automatic.
I also use a steering ball on the steering wheel bought from the mobility centre. It takes so much pressure off my neck, left arm and back. I would struggle without it.

I didn't learn to drive until I was fifty because I really thought I wouldn't be able to, but I passed my test first time and would recommend anyone who has the chance, to learn. It makes such a difference to your independence.

Good luck to anyone learning or about to start :goodluck1:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou
Itsnotinmyhead
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 pm

I drive an automatic with steering ball and easy release handbrake adaptations. I only drive local short distances partly due to pain from sitting, but also because my concentration goes.

My daughter also has fibro and is currently learning to drive. She has an automatic through motability, but is just about managing to learn using a manual.

Dvla don't class fibro as a notifiable illness - however if you drive when unfit either due to fibro or meds and have an accident, you can be charged with careless or reckless driving. There are some days I just know I'm not safe to be driving, and hubby has to chauffeur me xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby eddiesolo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 pm

I have driven for many years, and driving slowly start to become a discomfort for me, pain in legs, back and buttocks, changing gear and steering. I changed my car to one that power steering as the main discomfort came from having to lug the wheel around. This helped, slightly but the FM began to take its toll. After diagnosed I was granted full disability and decided to get a mobility car, automatic as I knew that a manual was too much for me, also it has cruise control which is a godsend on the motorway as I just set the speed and can rest my leg and foot or even do stretch and wiggle exercises. However, lately the FM has flared up and I struggle to drive but my wife uses the car to take me places but sitting for a long time plays havoc with my back, hips, buttocks and backs of legs. Make sure that you check all cars and that you are comfortable, also think about space as I needed one for a small foldaway scooter.

Si:)
eddiesolo
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Well done to everyone who is learning to drive it is one of those skills which can help us no end. I drive an automatic and it has been brilliant for keeping me independent yet also enabling me to still do "taxi" for the family. At least with an auto you can get it adapted for hand controls if the normal controls become too much.
I have mine under the mobility scheme for the last 5 years but am due to reapply next year under PIP, will just have to see what happens then but would really miss it if I didn't satisfy the new criteria. :-(
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Jojo70 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi everyone - newbie here!
I have just recently been diagnosed, after having symptoms for about 2 years now. During this time I have been learning to drive, with much frustration as my muscles and brain fail to communicate with each other. I am now at a stage where I have the knowledge, I know the score and am test ready. However, nerves and brain fog/muscle aches are letting me down - I'm at my whits end....I just wish I could put it all together for the 40 mins duration of the test. I'm relatively OK out with my instructor and partner, but as soon as I know I'm under test conditions ....it all goes to pot..... :yikes: Any hints on relaxation techniques or aanything that may help??? I've tried Kalms, Bach rescue remedy and take CBD oil tincture.....

I'm considering packing it in or trying an alternative mode of transport - 3 wheel bike is sounding good as I have rubbish balance (dyspraxia as well...) Any help greatly appreciated xxx
Jojo70
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia