How do I describe fibromyalgia?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How do I describe fibromyalgia?

Postby Gerry23 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago, I haven't told anyone, I have used all sorts of excuses for not being well e.g.: aches & pains are me getting old, tiredness is me over doing it, headaches or sickness I must have eaten something dodgy.
I have decided it's time to tell close family ( I can't keep making excuses) but I don't know what to say, or how to explain it. Can anyone help with a simple explanation please.
Gerry23
UKFM Newbie

Re: How do I describe fibromyalgia?

Postby perseus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Gerry, welcome to the forum. I didn't live in a family, but friends and even close relatives often seem oblivious or sceptical. This isn't helped by some in the medical profession attempting to label it as a psychological condition. There are a few guides that may be helpful, I hope you have more success than me!

https://fibromyalgia.newlifeoutlook.com ... romyalgia/

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fibromya ... et-it.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Painintheneck » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Gerry, My own definition of fibromyalgia is: a chronic pain syndrome which comprises only multiple symptoms without verifiable physical changes and which is not transmissable. Perhaps you could ask the person who made your diagnosis how he/she would define it.

Reviewed and revised by the author.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Cornish » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Do you mind me asking why you havn't shared up until now? I often wonder how to explain it too. I don't want everyone knowing but sometimes it would be useful to be able to come up with an answer as at the moment I sort of ' um and ahh' and say I get very tired and the pain can be bad. thanks for asking this as I've been wondering too.
Cornish
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia